Choice of bullet for Moose hunt

Remember, when you drive a sledgehammer into the side of them they run further and die in a slough or river. Penetration and pass thru are the key. All the moose I have shot with fast copper bullets ran farther 40-60yrds than the the muzzle loader kills 3-6 yards. I shoot 130 GMX bullets in my 270 win, partition bullets in 30cal and 338 win.

Only a sample of one, Lifetime bull moose in Colorado. I used a .338WM 225 Barnes TTSX, H4350 and chronographed at 2805fps. I had concern it would drop in one of the many beaver ponds in that area and the Barnes gave complete penetration and it fell right there. It was still in a wet area but the nightmare of wading in beaver ponds was spared. I also brought my .300WM with 180 Barnes TTSX and 200gn Partitions both have been effective on elk.

Only a sample of one, Lifetime bull moose in Colorado. I used a .338WM 225 Barnes TTSX, H4350 and chronographed at 2805fps. I had concern it would drop in one of the many beaver ponds in that area and the Barnes gave complete penetration and it fell right there. It was still in a wet area but the nightmare of wading in beaver ponds was spared. I also brought my .300WM with 180 Barnes TTSX and 200gn Partitions both have been effective on elk.
Congratulation, any pictures?

My wife's last moose, shot at around 200 yds with her .338 WM using Barnes 225 TTSX's @ 2950 ! One and done……no steps taken!

Most any bullet will kill them, a good mono gives you more options for shots…..especially if, they don't give you that hoped for broadside shot! Personally……I like the additional options! memtb

Well, I cannot get happy with the Barnes 190 gr LRX. One of four shots is always throw wide. The Berger's shoot to just under .5 MOA. I just don't think my rifle likes the Barnes rounds.
While I only have two weekends left, I ordered the 199 gr Hammer Hunters, which several of you liked. I will load these up and see what happens.
If I can't get those going I'm sure the Berger's will kill a Moose.
Any recommendations for load data would be appreciated. I only have H-1000, and the caliber is a 300 PRC.
Thanks,
T

Well, I cannot get happy with the Barnes 190 gr LRX. One of four shots is always throw wide. The Berger's shoot to just under .5 MOA. I just don't think my rifle likes the Barnes rounds.
While I only have two weekends left, I ordered the 199 gr Hammer Hunters, which several of you liked. I will load these up and see what happens.
If I can't get those going I'm sure the Berger's will kill a Moose.
Any recommendations for load data would be appreciated. I only have H-1000, and the caliber is a 300 PRC.
Thanks,
T

Not to sound like a "smart @$$", but .5 moa groups are not necessary for moose. I'd never think twice about using a much superior bullet that shoots 1.5 moa groups, for big bodied game with the possibility of a steeply angled shot! But that's just me!

I really hope that you can get your Hammers…..if you can't make the Barnes work for you! memtb

Last edited:
Not to sound like a "smart @$$", but .5 moa groups are not necessary for moose. I'd never think twice about using a much superior bullet that shoots 1,5 moa groups, for big bodied game with the possibility of a steeply angled shot! But that's just me!

I really hope that you can get your Hammers…..if you can't make the Barnes work for you! memtb
I did think about that. These are all four shot groups, except for the last one which is a three shot group. The grid marks are 1/4 inch. Each of these groups are about 1.2 MOA. So, for a 300 or 400 yard shot, it should really not make big difference on an animal is large as a moose. If I cannot tighten up the hammers, I may bring two magazines, keep the 190's in my rifle and use the 245's if I need to make a long shot….

Attachments

• IMG_5222.png
    IMG_5222.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Here's a link to a guy who was searching as well. Not sure what he settled on. You could email him.

How far are you loading them off the lands? Sorry I don't know the 300 PRC specs in terms of what you have there.

Here's a link to a guy who was searching as well. Not sure what he settled on. You could email him.

How far are you loading them off the lands? Sorry I don't know the 300 PRC specs in terms of what you have there.

Good question, as a generality…..Barnes bullets like to be well off of the lands. Seating depth could very well be the OP's problem! memtb

Yeah... I went and checked and my 280 AI likes the Barnes 0.01" off the lands while my 300 RUM likes them 0.050" off the lands. I haven't measured what my 300 WM loads are off the lands.

Here is what a guy found with his 30-06 and changing the jump what it did for his groups.

Wow..
I first ran them 50 thousandth off the lands to ten thousandth off the lands.
No joy.
I then tried 20 thousandth off to10 thousandth into the lands (which I would likely not use), still no joy.
Maybe I'll drop them way back. It can't hurt trying.
Thx
T

I run the 230 gr bergers hybrids for moose. I've killed 1, and followed up (finishing shot) on another for a buddy who made a mediocre shot. Both expired extremely quick with loads of internsl
Damage. I'll be sticking with the 230 hybrids