Choice in Knives ?

I'm very bad to lose knives, therefore, I don't buy expensive knives. I've had good luck with Gerbers. I carry several, a couple on my belt and one or two in my pack. They sharpen and hold an edge reasonably well. If I lose one, it's not the end of the world. I don't use a gut hook, though I may have to try one of those "Flip & Zip" deals.

This reminds me of a crazy thing that happened to me years ago. I lost a good pocket knife while hunting and had no clue where I lost it.
Then some years later I was back in the same area hunting when I set up to do some prone varmint type shooting across a small valley.
I was trying to get comfortable but something was sticking into me near my leg . So I reached down to brush away this annoying rock and low and behold I found my knife! The blades were still ok as it was stainless but the body was brass and had gone green with corrosion and the timber handle was dried and cracked but I refurbished it back to good as new.
We are creatures of habit!

I've got a couple HELLE knives with the laminated stainless blades and I've got to tell ya you could shave an ants nads with 'em! Not custom knife pricey but not dirt cheap either but I ALWAYS have one on my belt. As for what else I carry, A Case trapperlock is always in a pocket and I have a 2 knife Browning set that lives in my pack. I've dealt with 3 deer in a day in the field with the Helle's and not had to dress them up at all. If you do go after one, make sure to get the laminated stainless blade as it has definitely been the best performer for me.

Just Google jwhcustomknives.com & you'll see why I love mine.
Jack is a way cool guy, & builds a real good knife. He actually took some of my 270WSM rifle brass from a couple bear kills, & imbedded the case heads into the handle for me. Looks awesome. I gotta send him some Bear claws, & Elk ivorys for my next ones.

Thanks for the link Winmag. Really like the cheap Remington model I bought a few years ago but wish it had a better blade, I think I've found it!
09outandabout%20079.jpg

This type of knife makes boneing out a deer/goat very easy in the field but its only good for one critter between sharpenings.
My pack knife is a Kersha interchangable 4 blade with a droppoint,fillet,saw and guthook.

I carry the havalon piranha/spare blades and a buck vanguard. The pirantas are sharp but not very appropriate for heavy work so I carry the buck for popping joints and also have boned out deer with just that if anything failed on the piranta. Also the rubber handle on the vanguard is great for when things are messy, also prefer to have at least one fixed blade on me

I was thinking one of the Havalon handles could take skinning and fillet/boning blades, anyone tried that?

Two real good knives that i use for gutting are the ESEE Model 3P and the ESEE Izula, the later is real good for getting up in the chest cavity and cutting the wind pipe

Here is a picture of the two of them, both come with a razor sharp edge from the factory and hold them pretty good too

Attachments

• 2011-12-29 15.20.49.jpg
    2011-12-29 15.20.49.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 97
Knives of Alaska for me. I'm amazed at how much I can do with my Cub Bear caper. The ergonomics are great and it holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. I wear it on my belt all season,regardless of where I'm huntng,and don't fell the least bit compromised.

Buck Vanguard with rubber handle, and, Cold Steel VG10 Bird & Trout, both in the "field dressing" stuff sack. Folding Buck 110 in the "survival" stuff sack. 6" filet knife, 6" boning knife, and a diamond steel at camp for final processing.

No gut hook, nothing fancy (Morseth 91M1-5) just sharp, strong & safe.

Attachments

• Steve Morseth 91M1-5 custom hunting knife  028.jpg
    Steve Morseth 91M1-5 custom hunting knife 028.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 95
Wood gripped folding Buck, just a standard blade, shaving sharp, stainless. My 33 year old daughter bought for me when she was 10 years old, and I've used it ever since.

Someone gave me an Outdoor Edge Flip N Blaze as a gift last year. At first I thought I might return it but the more I looked it over the better I liked it. Now it'd be the last knife I'd get rid of. It's extremely sharp, grips great, and I love the caping blade because you can sharpen it easily, which in my mind makes it better than the guthooks, which I have used and liked just fine. Haven't tried Havalon or Knives of Alaska but I see high praise for them on here. May just have to check them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts