Cheap Truck Gun set ups

A truck gun to me stays in the truck gets subjected to all sorts of weather, dust, mishandling, etc. To me the ideal truck gun is a iron sight, lever action like a model 94 Winchester, Marlin or whatever or a cheap bolt gun, iron sights. Nothing complex, no lenses to get all dusty and scratched, easy to quickly bring to bear, etc...

I don't know how you carry your truck gun, but if you are like me and carry it right next to me on the seat with muzzle down for a quick grab, you probably will want a short barrel and I would suggest a brake or flash hider. Having the muzzle riding on the floorboard is a bad idea as you can mess up the crown. I prefer a Rem M700 tactical with 16.5" heavy barrel and flash hider in a 9 twist 223 with 65 grain game kings. This is good for anything from armadillos to hogs to whitetail, which is as big as it gets in east Tx.

I have a 308 Savage Hog Hunter with a 1-4x Burris MTAC scope. I love the set up. It might suit what your looking for. The gun was 400-450. Scope another 250ish. I don't recall the exact prices. But it was cheap enough. Shoots well. I can routinely hot a 8" steel plate at 400 yards. And it's the cats a**s for in the woods.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.

All weapon manufacturers offer basic kits. You have in bonus a box of cartridge etc ... but a basic kit remains a bad purchase.

I have the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor and am very pleased with it. Actually considering another one. I Reload and am extremely comfortable with this piece. I put a Vortex on it and am also satisfied with the scope. The above recommendations for a scope are all good.

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster. I want to put together a cheap truck gun. Need some advice on rifle, caliber and optics. would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible in case its gets stolen.

my initial thought for a rifle were a TC compass in maybe 6.5 creed or 308 or a howa mini in 6.5 grendel.

Any other ideas?

what about optics - need something cheap that will hold zero. I dont really care about magnification.
Howa have great accuracy, .308 , Hawke scopes..very reasonable and awesome warranty

I gave a friend an old Lee Enfield in 303 british that was all kinds of abused to make a truck gun out of . it had iron sights had the stock fore arm cut down ect. he had the barrel cut down to 20 "and refinished the stock , it looks good and shoots well . The plus is he doesn't have much money into it and doesn't need to worry about it being abused as it started out that way .

Take a look at the CVA Hunter and Scout single shot rifles, one can be had new for under 350.00 dollars, barrel lengths 20 to 26 inch, a 36 to 40 inch gun make a great truck rifle, they are stainless, come in some solid choices in calibers including the 6.5 creedmor and 35 whelen,

I'm partial to Howa 1500 Mini's. Can get them in 6.5 G or my own preference, 7.62X39 Some versions come with threaded muzzles.

Lately Bushnell has been impressing me with their AR intended scopes. BDC reticles for 5.56 & 7.62X39. They are heavy though, good thing it's intended to be a truck rifle.

Any other ideas?

Have look at the Weatherby Vanguard rifles.

Mossberg has their value bolt action, with scope, for less than $300 total. Friend purchased one and was a 1 n half inch gun with factory ammo...better with reloads. My T/C Compass shoots below 1 inch with reloads. Great to throw on 4 wheeler and go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.