Central Air Just went out

xsn10s
You are correct about the newer systems being more efficient.
We just had a AC Tech come over to check out our system. I asked him about the older systems being better and he said the one thing about older systems is that they ran R-22 Feron which is better than the 410A that runs now. The new system we have is a two-stage unit. It runs the first stage (LOW) for a long time that save electricity and when it needs more "Cold or Hot" the second stage (High) kicks in.
He said that if these units ran R-22 they would be much more efficient with Colder and Hotter air.
He also said that the EPA is making Air-condition /Heat Pump Manufacturing Companies to start using a different Feron the 410A next year.

He checked out our system and it was about 1 lb low on 410A which can make all the difference between the system switching from Low to High.
He said the when the system was put in it was very hot out and the tech charging it probably didn't check the system in the High load and it was off 1 LB. OR we can have a LEAK, but since we always had this issue it was most likely not charged properly when installed. We still got charged $89.00 for a Service visit.
I said that we should not be charged a service if the System was not Properly CHARGED with 410A. He said take it up with the management, but it will be hard to say that it was not properly charged and maybe we have a leak.
Hopefully this works. If we do have a leak the warranty will only cover the parts and then us paying about $1K for labor & Freon.
Yup our tech said the older freon was used in our unit. To recharge our heat pump would cost $2600 for just the freon. That's not including any parts and labor. Glad you're up and running.

Yup our tech said the older freon was used in our unit. To recharge our heat pump would cost $2600 for just the freon. That's not including any parts and labor. Glad you're up and running.
On our first system When I was told that Freon R22 was $98 a pound I went and bought a 20# Tank for I think $120.00. What a markup $6.00 to $98. I also bought a 20# Tank of 410A to recharge Dehumidifier units.
It is a real rip off from the Service Companies.

Too much is just as bad as too little.
You are correct. I have all the Charts & Gauges to Test and add Freon and a Vaccuum to empty a system. You have to get ir right with the Temp of the unit and also Surrounding Air temp.
I have been doing all my own work on vehicle Air conditioners, Dehumidifiers, and home Air. If it is not under warranty I fix it myself. I have R22 and 410A Freon in 20# tanks.

We are running extra hot today in Southern California, it was already 104F at 10am... up to 111F at 11:30am , yikes !
hot1.jpg
hot2.jpg

Today Phoenix set a record of 118 degrees. Meanwhile, my dinky little hometown out in the middle of nowhere called Ajo, was out of power ( the whole town) for 7 hours because a freakin crossarm broke on one of the poles that go down there.

Today Phoenix set a record of 118 degrees. Meanwhile, my dinky little hometown out in the middle of nowhere called Ajo, was out of power ( the whole town) for 7 hours because a freakin crossarm broke on one of the poles that go down there.
The heat that we have here in the SE is brutal. When in the 90s to 100s and 80to 95% humidity🔥🥵

Wow, I have a friend who moved to Ajo after getting divorced!

Got the bill for the AC job- $365 - run cap went out. I told my AC guy someone needs to invent one that doesn't constantly go out - he replied, "I would be out of a job!"

My AC always responds to my customers when their AC goes out - I love that guy!