Carbon fiber stocks

Can you please explain as I haven't made a fiberglass or carbon fiber rifle stock yet although I do realize that these stocks are hollow I just don't know how I could make a place for it inside the stock itself.

The reason you should avoid carbon fiber as bedding is it is higher on the electromotive series and when wet will form a battery with iron/steel and the steel will corrode. Even stainless steel that is passivized (made more corrosion resistant) will be attacked. In marine applications there is a Kevlar/Dyneema layer between the carbon fiber and any metal parts. It is so reactive that the effect is quite rapid. Hunt in the rain and your action screws could be toast when you get back home. The pillars for the action screws should be a plastic or Kevlar/fiberglass material.

Boat guys deal with this all the time.

KB

Can you please explain as I haven't made a fiberglass or carbon fiber rifle stock yet although I do realize that these stocks are hollow I just don't know how I could make a place for it inside the stock itself.
I dont make these stocks but have seen parts of the process some few years back. Read early post by Kiwi to understand more.Picture the stock a small hollow canoe,when the two cast halfs are assembled.Your cast is as good as what your casting.Mold is made to layout one side of stock, left and right.When joined you have canoe.You have to put in bedding area,action area.The recoil reducer would be in rear stock area,which would have poly foam around it,the foam can be in different densities,may need additional support.You can save money and buy blank fiberglass stocks probably carbon fiber too of which is part glass anyway.

Carbon fiber gets most of its strength because it is a woven material. To my knowledge, it acts as a framework for the resin. You could dump carbon fibers into a resin stock, which would reinforce it (kind of like rebar, or particle board), but it would not be as resilient. In theory, you could layer it up sheet by sheet, but I don't know what the point would be. You would essentially have a resin stock with a little bit of carbon fiber in it. It would be as heavy or heavier than a synthetic stock and less strong (depending on how you construct it and match your weaves).

This is all translated over from bike frame construction, though, so I could be way off base.

I'm just looking for the lightest possible rifle stock that could still handle loads like full power 458 Winchester Magnum. Because I'm going to put a hydraulic recoil system and or mercury recoil reducers to handle the recoil. Thanks for your input.

The stock will handle it most just use foam as a filler like spray foam. For recoil you will just have to build in a support. Like at studs you just glass or epoxy in. Picture stock is a hollow fiberglass canoe but made with carbon fiber laid in for strength.Then it is full beaded and pillared at action area,recoil reducer I think is done in butt area.There is a company that sells blanks cant think of name off hand ,google it then you bed and fit yourself, might be a good starting point

^^ This will give you a strong, lightweight stock.

You will want to make sure the supports are anchored securely, but the carbon fiber "canoe" is the right idea. Carbon fiber has a good strength-to-weight ratio and also has a certain amount of flex that prevents it from failing (to a point, then it fails pretty catastrophically). The foam filler would provide structure, the "canoe" would provide strength, the bedding/supports will transfer recoil forces into the frame.

Depending on how you want to construct it and what kind of foam you use, you may be able to make a foam "blank" coat it with a few layers of carbon fiber, then cut out the necessary areas for bedding, actions, etc.

Keep in mind when cutting cured carbon fiber that it is prone to cracking. If you go that route, tape your cut (masking tape is fine) and then use a cutting wheel (like for a Dremel); carbon fiber responds better to "sanding" than it does sawing. Saw teeth tend to grab individual fibers and yank until the resin shatters and/or the fibers separate.

Good luck! If it turns out, you should post pictures.

Ok just wondering how someone would go about making supports for the barreled action, aftermarket aluminum butt pads, or mercury recoil reducers. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts,opinions, or answers.

I realize that this is an old post now since the last post was in 2014 and it's now 2015, but I was wondering if someone could fill the canoe with more layers of carbon fiber placed at different angles and amounts of carbon fiber? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

I realize that this is an old post now since the last post was in 2014 and it's now 2015, but I was wondering if someone could fill the canoe with more layers of carbon fiber placed at different angles and amounts of carbon fiber? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.
Canoes can be fixed with carbon fiber just as you envision.

Ultra lightweight canoes are made from "kevlar" and carbon fiber where they need to be stiffer.

I wasn't really talking about an actual carbon fiber canoe, it's just the best description of a fiber glass rifle stock as when someone makes a custom fiberglass or carbon fiber rifle stock they are hollow just like a canoe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.