carbon bows

I sold my Mathews V3X 33 because it was overall too heavy for me too. It shot great though but I couldn't shoot it long without getting very fatigued.
After I sold it, I bought a Hoyt RX7. It's just what I had in my head I wanted and I still have the bow and have been shooting a lot. Still really like it. I like how I can add the accessories to get some weight for stability instead of starting heavy and only getting heavier. This works for me I guess.
If things work out, I'd like to get another 33-35" ata bow, Hoyt Ultra and Xpedition XLite are at the top of that list but won't rule out a Lift 33 or AlphaX33 at the moment.

I have been shooting a Mathews VXR for the last 4 years, but I just bought a carbon PSE Mach 30. I am really liking it so far. It is more enjoyable to hold, shoot, and has a really nice draw cycle. I enjoy shooting it more than any bow I have owned in the last 40 years. I think I like shooting it mostly because of the draw cycle (EC2 Cam). I believe fully rigged out the PSE is a little over a pound lighter than the Mathew's.

Also, Mathew's has made a lighter bow for this year. It is still an aluminum bow but is only a few ounces heavier than most of the carbon bows. It does have a stiffer draw cycle, however….

I own 2 pse mach 1's and a mathews Phase 4 33.
I'm holding out for next years mathews 33 the lift was half the upgrade I want.

The new pse mach 30 is a pse mach 1 with more weight and a few extra features. They shoot/feel the same aside from the weight.

Buy a carbon bow for the weight savings only. Do not buy a carbon bow that weighs the same as an aluminum bow.

If you use the weight chart it rules out most of the carbon bows on the market. And for good reason. A more fragile riser needs to provide more benefit than being slightly warmer to the touch in freezing temps.

I bought an RX7 last year and love it. My boy just bought an RX8 because it goes to 32" draw. We still have to put a long D loop on it. Hope he is done growing. Otherwise he will be down to the Highline as it goes to 34".
The balance on the RXs is incredible. That is what sold me. It is so quiet also. Tackett is hoping to win another 100 yard iron buck contest with his new RX8 this year.

I bought an RX7 last year and love it. My boy just bought an RX8 because it goes to 32" draw. We still have to put a long D loop on it. Hope he is done growing. Otherwise he will be down to the Highline as it goes to 34".
The balance on the RXs is incredible. That is what sold me. It is so quiet also. Tackett is hoping to win another 100 yard iron buck contest with his new RX8 this year.
So for an update. The week before the MO ASA state championship Tackett's groups started opening up on his Mathews Vertix same as last year. The day After the state shoot last year the very first time he drew his bow back the bearing blew out. So I bought new bearings for it. Even got him a new cam for the bottom ( yoke bearings are not replaceable). So why he went from nailing 12s at 40 and 50 in practice to 5-6" groups we still have no idea why.
Now for the RX8 update part. Late Wednesday night he had had it with trying to figure out why his groups had opened up so he went in and got the new RX8 Ultra out. WOW was all we could say. He was stacking them in tight out to 70. So he said heck with it. I know this is brand new and haven't shot it yet but I am gonna shoot it at state. We were gonna wait until after state to make the transition to a new bow.
Thursday the 11th he switched all his equipment over and we speed checked it and put 125 grain tips on 250 spine 4mm axis to slow it down to 278 fps. He had to get a new sight tape figured out that night also. Friday the 12th we left for the state ASA shoot, and Saturday the 13th he shot a 324 14x from the 40 yard stake. Took shooter of the year in the 15-17 yr olds and state champion. He also tied for 3rd highest score out of all shooters there. Two men shot 330's. So I can now say that he loves this bow!!!! We joke that he is shooting sub 1/4 MOA with it.

I have yet to shoot a carbon bow that felt very good. There's just something off about them. I'm not a Mathews supporter. But I would take a Lift over any carbon bow currently on the market.

I never shot carbon bows as well as aluminum. While I won a few 3-D tournaments shooting my 70# aluminum hunting bows (hoyt & bowtech), I could never get the light carbon bows to shoot as well for me. I feel the same about super-light bows as I do about super-light guns.

Last edited:
I have yet to shoot a carbon bow that felt very good. There's just something off about them. I'm not a Mathews supporter. But I would take a Lift over any carbon bow currently on the market.
I shot the lift 33 compared to the rx8 ultra, side by side… the Hoyt was smoother to me. I wasn't a big fan of the back wall of the lift. But that's my personal opinion

Might want to wait and see how this pans out. There have been countless threads about limb issues. One guy claimed he knew of 40 different individuals who had limb failures. I have no clue as to the legitimacy of all the bad publicity but it has been going on for many months.

I never shot carbon bows as well as aluminum. While I won a few 3-D tournaments shooting my 70# aluminum hunting bows (hoyt & bowtech), I could never get the light carbon bows to shoot as well for me. I feel the same about super-light bows as I do about super-light guns.
Mathews lift 29.5" is 3.99 lbs
Lift 33 is. 4.26 lbs
Hoyt RX 8 ultra is 4.4 lbs
Alpha X is 4.55 lbs

Man I have been out of bow hunting and shooting for too long. Warmth in a grip would be great, but I can see the lightness being a little more difficult to shoot.

Might want to wait and see how this pans out. There have been countless threads about limb issues. One guy claimed he knew of 40 different individuals who had limb failures. I have no clue as to the legitimacy of all the bad publicity but it has been going on for many months.
I'm a member on AT as well…same handle as here. I take most everything with a grain of salt over there in problems with bows. Have there been limb issues? Sure but I've can tell ya there is more hate over there for anything Mathew's than any other bow manufacturer. I currently shoot a VXR 28 but have been shooting a couple different bows as of late at the shops to see what I want to pull the trigger on. Probably be a lift or a Mach 30. As far as carbon bows, they ain't much lighter and accessories on a bow is what really makes a difference.
I like a solid sight like black gold, QAD drop away, and a detachable quiver. I don't get crazy with stabs. Just a common bee stinger about 6". Tune is the most importing thing in bow hunting.

I'm a member on AT as well…same handle as here. I take most everything with a grain of salt over there in problems with bows. Have there been limb issues? Sure but I've can tell ya there is more hate over there for anything Mathew's than any other bow manufacturer. I currently shoot a VXR 28 but have been shooting a couple different bows as of late at the shops to see what I want to pull the trigger on. Probably be a lift or a Mach 30. As far as carbon bows, they ain't much lighter and accessories on a bow is what really makes a difference.
I like a solid sight like black gold, QAD drop away, and a detachable quiver. I don't get crazy with stabs. Just a common bee stinger about 6". Tune is the most importing thing in bow hunting.
Well said. We aren't anti Mathews at all. Tackett won two state championship buckles with his used Vertix. It was maxed out at 30.5" draw and he had a 3" D loop on it.
The only reason he went with a carbon was it went to a 32" draw. He still has about a 1.25" D loop on it. If he grows any more he will be looking at the Hoyt Highline or Mathews Atlas. They both go 34" I believe.
Here he is last summer at 14 before I made his D loop even longer.