Canning season has begun

View attachment 591642Picture looks the same, same set up, different year. Dill came in late this year, usually were done by mid July but a new batch of pickles will emerge for 2025. Whatcha got going on?
So are you done yet? We had to buy dill at the market but if we like the dilly beans we're planning on planting some next year.
Since I have a extra day off for Labor Day we're going to make some room in the freezer by canning some ground elk and deer. The wife has only been canning a couple years and has never done meat and the only experience I have with canned ground venison is eating it!
Hopefully you are done canning and have been able to make a trip or two to scout your elk area for this year!

Dill was late this year but it finally bloomed so canning is finished for the year. Some day I to will try canning meat but first I have to kill something 😁. We use to do beans also when our kids were young, not so much now. Just got back from shooting in real conditions out in the desert, I'm very pleased, my primary rifle is dialed in, the weekend after Labor Day is when I'll get very serious about scouting, everyone here has been put on notice, I'll become a ghost for the next 2 1/2 months. Keep me updated on your hunting progress.

Remember this is a Long Range HUNTING Forum????? Lol
Nothing goes better with fresh game than home grown veggies!

All the hippies in the cities trying to "eat clean" on their fashionable diets, meanwhile the real people who keep this country turning eat the fat of the land and keep their mouths shut about it 🤣 Don't want to give away our best kept secrets, keep on letting the city folk think we're a bunch of backwards hayseeds.

During COVID the only line I was worried about was at the meat processor. First time in my life I've seriously considered butchering my own cow, and what a mess that would have been. But the local place didn't take up any contracts from the big companies that had to shut down in the panhandle and helped us out. The garden economy that popped up out of that time (even in a place where we didn't shut down hardly anything) was great. I was buying fresh chickens from 4H kids who didn't spend their days being indoctrinated through laptop screens, the farmer's market did a great business, I even got bacon all the way from a place in Tennessee via a relative. I'd go back to "shutdowns" in a heartbeat, at least the way we did it in rural North Texas. All the idiots stayed home and left us alone!

My peach trees are on the edge of giving us enough to start canning. I'd tell the kids to slow down on eating them, but they'd probably just start sling-shotting the pits at me.

Garden did well this year. Big sweet onions, potatoes, tomatoes, string beans, etc
IMG_1010.png