Canned Deer

I've shot plenty of doe deer at my feeder and no, there is no hunt to that as long as the wind is right. But it is not intended to be a hunt - just a harvest. My family of 6 will eat 6 or 8 deer in just a few months.

But on the other hand I have never had a mature whitetail buck come into my feeder during daylight hours, they just will not hardly do it in my neck of the woods.
When I am "hunting", I have to put in the time and effort locating a buck and figuring out his pattern.

Just wondering if anyone here considers sitting a water tank for a bull or a buck to be a canned hunt?

One of the hunters that got to hunt one of my feeder blinds killed a doe we had named Fat Edna. Had watched her for three years. She had a split left ear and was easy to pick out. And yes, She was a whopper by Alabama standards. I'm guessing140 pounds on the hoof. She was bigger than some of the two year old bucks we saw.

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting
I've hunted the hard way since I was four. Fair chase other than food plots and I despise hunting over bait although it's legal here and being a hypocrite, I've done so in the past to ensure the young ones see animals every time out. I no longer do so and the reward is 10X greater. If you like good hunting videos, pull up Billy Molls on YouTube.

Well heck I thought we were talking about canning venison lol. But this is why I have zero respect for Keith Warren. Heard about an elk "hunt" he did in high fence pasture. Not hunting just killing. Which is ok but don't try and sell it as hunting.

It don't cost you that big money for the animal you kill, on those hunts. You are just paying for all the training and work it takes to get that big buck or bull to come out and stand in the exact place, At the right angle, So he offers a shot the so called hunter can brag about.

Well heck I thought we were talking about canning venison lol. But this is why I have zero respect for Keith Warren. Heard about an elk "hunt" he did in high fence pasture. Not hunting just killing. Which is ok but don't try and sell it as hunting.
Me too!I have heard that you CAN can meat and it lasts for a good while but have never done it.Would like to learn as I feel this nation is heading for hard times.Just like to be not caught with nothing to feed my wife and I and daughters family.

It don't cost you that big money for the animal you kill, on those hunts. You are just paying for all the training and work it takes to get that big buck or bull to come out and stand in the exact place, At the right angle, So he offers a shot the so called hunter can brag about.
Ring the bell and they appear at that right spot, just like Pavlov's theory of conditioning

Me too!I have heard that you CAN can meat and it lasts for a good while but have never done it.Would like to learn as I feel this nation is heading for hard times.Just like to be not caught with nothing to feed my wife and I and daughters family.
I am planning on looking into this as well.
We purchased a pressure canner but I am not allowed to operate it!

LOL... I came here expecting to find a thread on new and improved ways to can venison. I grew up eating lots of it. Between my dad and brothers hunting and fishing, my mom was always putting up canned meat. Venison in the fall and fresh, river run suckers in the spring. So many great ways to eat it including straight out of the jar...

Oh yeah, and pickled pike all winter long. YUM!!!

Please forgive the long winded diatribe, but OP has stirred up ancient thoughts....
Brings back fond memories...

I 've only hunted over bait two seasons. I don't begrudge anyone who gets out hunting/shooting whatever you call it. Good on them. It's about the experiences and memories, right? After all is said and done, one day, all we have is heads on the wall, pictures, and hopefully a sound mind that can remember how we obtained them....

My brother and I were roughnecks on a drilling rig out of Austin TX in '74. Our motorman, Woody, told us that he worked as a part time ranch foreman for the 17,000 acre Johnson Ranch, as in Lyndon B. Johnson. Said It had sold to a group of 11 lawyers who hunted it rarely.

Woody told us he needed help so Bro & I bucked 1500 bales of hay outta the fields in a pickup cuz the ground was too wet for tractors Paid $0.10/bale. Took 4 days of our long change days off to finish the job.

Back then, doe tags were allocated per land acreage. Woody gave us a hand full wad of doe tags tall enough that a show dog couldn't jump over, and said shoot all you want, we'll get more! We sat in a metal blind 10' above ground equipped w/ heaters, ice chest for beers, shooting ports, and two large leather recliners. About 100 yds. away, (never stepped it off and didn't have range finders in those days), was a battery operated feed thrower. Every evening about 5pm corn dropped out of the hopper and onto a spreader that spun around and dished it out. Made a little whirring noise. Deer would come a-runnin'!

We couldn't shoot the bucks, but we had all the doe meat we could eat. A welcome addition to the table for two broke rig hands! Kept us in the chips for two seasons till the well was drilled and we moved on.

That memory is special not only because I shared it with my brother, but we took turns shooting with the "03-A3 sporter my mother had bought my father the summer before he passed. He never got to shoot it, sadly.

I'm now gettin' long in the tooth and staring at the last deer hunt.
I was married at 27, birthday on the 27th, and if I have a favorite # it's 27.
So far this crippled up old roughneck has killed 26 deer over the years......saving the last for the sunset hunt.
I plan to spend the 24 pts. in CO w/ an outfitter who will put my fat butt on a horse and lead me out to where the big boys play so I can let the air outta one of 'em . 27 and done.

Nimrod, thanks for resurrecting this memory!

Last edited:
Please forgive the long winded diatribe, but OP has stirred up ancient thoughts....
Brings back fond memories...

I 've only hunted over bait two seasons. I don't begrudge anyone who gets out hunting/shooting whatever you call it. Good on them. It's about the experiences and memories, right? After all is said and done, one day, all we have it heads on the wall, pictures, and hopefully a sound mind that can remember how we obtained them....

My brother and I were roughnecks on a drilling rig out of Austin TX in '74. Our motorman, Woody, told us that he worked as a part time ranch foreman for the 17,000 acre Johnson Ranch, as in Lyndon B. Johnson. Said It had sold to a group of 11 lawyers who hunted it rarely.

Woody told us he needed help so Bro & I bucked 1500 bales of hay outta the fields in a pickup cuz the ground was too wet for tractors Paid $0.10/bale. Took 4 days of our long change days off to finish the job.

Back then, doe tags were allocated per land acreage. Woody gave us a hand full wad of doe tags tall enough that a show dog couldn't jump over, and said shoot all you want, we'll get more! We sat in a metal blind 10' above ground equipped w/ heaters, ice chest for beers, shooting ports, and two large leather recliners. About 100 yds. away, (never stepped it off and didn't have range finders in those days), was a battery operated feed thrower. Every evening about 5pm corn dropped out of the hopper and onto a spreader that spun around and dished it out. Made a little whirring noise. Deer would come a-runnin'!

We couldn't shoot the bucks, but we had all the doe meat we could eat. A welcome addition to the table for two broke rig hands! Kept us in the chips for two seasons till the well was drilled and we moved on.

That memory is special not only because I shared it with my brother, but we took turns shooting with the "03-A3 sporter my mother had bought my father the summer before he passed. He never got to shoot it, sadly.

I'm now gettin' long in the tooth and staring at the last deer hunt.
I was married at 27, birthday on the 27th, and if I have a favorite # it's 27.
So far this crippled up old roughneck has killed 26 deer over the years......saving the last for the sunset hunt.
I plan to spend the 24 pts. in CO w/ an outfitter who will put my fat butt on a horse and lead me out to where the big boys play so I can let the air outta one of 'em . 27 and done.

Nimrod, thanks for resurrecting this memory!
I can feel and smell your memories big man and they put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing!

the meat eater is the only hunting show I've seen that I had much respect for. The rest truly are just about the kill. I haven't perused too many, and it sounds like there are some others out there that are decent, but I really appreciate that Steve sometimes misses, or gets skunked, or makes a poor shot that needs tracked and followed up on. It's nice to see the real world represented (although far few of us get to hunt like he does).

I recall one hunting show I watched at my uncles house where a relatively famous hunter came to southern oregon to chase black tails (where I grew up, and what I learned to hunt on). It was pretty gratifying to watch him get skunked over and over, and by the end of the episode he took a medium 3 point and said "I've never shot a deer with a body this big and a rack this small, and I have NEVER worked so hard for a deer in my life. Hats off to you oregon guys who are actually good at chasing these ghosts".

I've always wondered what it would be like to be able to sit over a corn feeder and down 5-6 does to fill the freezer, and then go into public land to chase down a big buck. I think I would be happy as could be doing that. One process (feeder hunting) is just a meat harvest, which is just fine if you're ethical about it. Then the fair chase for the buck is an actual hunt.

I do agree with the general sentiment of the crowd here, that hunting a high fence and then crowing about your achievement is a bit gauche. But, end of the day, to each his own. If someone offered me a free fenced elk hunt, I honestly probably wouldn't say no to it.