Canned Deer

Some guys buy a steer, have it butchered, put er in the freezer, for their family's yearly beef supply. Cheaper than going to the Kroger every week.Knew a guy, took his Kid and his ol pickup truck, a rifle and they went to a 500 acre ranch, out in South Dakota. This buddys son, got to shoot a Bison cow on a farm, was about $800 bucks, like 20 years ago. They had it butchered and brought it all back, even the hide and head. The Kid, about 12 years old, loved it. Had some of the burgers, they were, good as it gets!

I can't say a hole lot . We are about as close to a canned hut as you can get with out it being one . We have 7 acres of clover 6 of corn and 2 of turnips . Old pasture large that is mowed once a year and wood land creeks We have more than 600 acres of private ground with 100s of deer on the property and only 5 people hunting it .

That is funny but, sometimes a Buck will get old and big enuff of a rack he has local legend status. Then for , about a mile radius around his stompN grounds, guy's know that buck by a nickname.Reports of sightings could come from the Mailman, the Milkman most anyone travlN the backroads, always keep that info on the DownLow.

Oh I know all too well.
27 years ago we had a giant buck that always bedded in the middle of our property next to one of our silos.
He was a straight 6x6, very tall and very wide.
We could have snuck in there and killed him almost any day but that felt like cheating so we wouldn't bother him when he was in there.
At night he would feed in the AG fields that could be hit by spotlights at night.
One day he didn't come back, we were pretty sure he had been pouched and heard that someone had killed a monster buck, stories started getting twisted and the game wardens knew something was up and they tried for several years to get to the bottom of it .
Statute of limitations is 7 years, one of the wardens got to see the mounted head and confirmed it was the same deer and was convinced it would smash the state record at the time. 60 days after the statute of limitations was up the man confessed to poaching the buck at night. Nothing could be done.
We struggle to protect everything on our farm and sometimes it gets pretty dicey
The names we give to deer are only known by me and my family.

I agree and would never do it for deer hunting but the almighty dollar has bit many landowners. So many landowners are screaming that they're being overrun by feral hogs but want to charge ridiculous fees for people to come on to their property to help rid them of their problem. I realize there may be some factors that "could" justify why but I'm not paying to line their pockets. Secondly, as a hunter from the eastern U.S., if I would like to hunt elk, mountain goat, sheep, antelope, etc. in the western U.S. having to jump through all the hoops required makes me give up before even trying. I know these states cannot have unlimited non-resident hunters come in from everywhere without certain restrictions so it causes many hunters to go the route of a "canned" hunt which I can see too.
You should take a look at Colorado. Unless things have changed, a non- resident can buy an elk license across the counter and hunt any of the public land. I did it for years before I got too old and fat to climb the mountains

I can't say a hole lot . We are about as close to a canned hut as you can get with out it being one . We have 7 acres of clover 6 of corn and 2 of turnips . Old pasture large that is mowed once a year and wood land creeks We have more than 600 acres of private ground with 100s of deer on the property and only 5 people hunting it .
But you still have hunt them. There are no guarantees

This is why I haven't watched a hunting show in probably 5 years.
Youngsters will watch them and once they hit the woods they will be very frustrated because it's been a hour and they haven't killed a 170" buck yet!
By the way that's a nice avatar! 👍
My wife gets so aggravated with me. She likes to watch them phony hunting shows, and when she turns one on, I get up and go outside. No way I'm watching them crap shows.

Oh I know all too well.
27 years ago we had a giant buck that always bedded in the middle of our property next to one of our silos.
We could have snuck in there and killed him almost any day but that felt like cheating so we wouldn't bother him when he was in there.
At night he would feed in the AG fields that could be hit by spotlights at night.
One day he didn't come back, we were pretty sure he had been pouched and heard that someone had killed a monster buck, stories started getting twisted and the game wardens knew something was up and they tried for several years to get to the bottom of it .
Statute of limitations is 7 years, one of the wardens got to see the mounted head and confirmed it was the same deer and was convinced it would smash the state record at the time. 60 days after the statute of limitations was up the man confessed to poaching the buck at night. Nothing could be done.
We struggle to protect everything on our farm and sometimes it gets pretty dicey
Oh I know all too well.
Yeah that's one of those ones that's a tough pill to swallow you try to do everything right the giving the deer the time to get big and the money you put into giving them the optimum antler growth and food sources and that and then people want to come hunt it but don't even want to ask if they can hunt or even worse yet but like what you had they poach them after dark