• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Canceled. New 45-70 but NO. Thanks to all.

My Marlin doesn't like the cast bullets I have tried which seems odd to me. It will stack 325 FTX on top of each other. I would like to try casting and coating my own as I literally have tons of lead. I have molds for 45 ACP and 44 Mag. I would get one for the 45-70 if they will shoot decent. Has anyone tried out coating yourself? I talked to a guy at a LGS the other day that said he was using regular powder coating and liked that. I don't think I would go that route.

I bought some from ACME to try. I have a Marlin, 1885, and a Ruger #1. I have heard good things but have no experience YET. I plan on using them in the Ruger and 1885.

45-70 is a good caliber for lead. Not too hot of a load, when sized right, should group well. If you have all that lead, I would definitely get a mold, sizing die, and Lee crimp die. Powder coating is thicker than Hitek, but works very good.

Even light original Springfield pressure loads don't group at all. I thought maybe the coating might make a difference. The Hitek what what I was looking at trying. I also am curious if the coated bullets can be cast softer and still work ok. What I have came out of the walls of an MRI room and it is soft. I have picked up a bit of tin and letterpress to alloy in but pure would be easier/cheaper.

bullet fit is very important, or you will lead. depending on what you use for lead and lube will dictate as to how fast you can drive them. bullet shape will also affect accuracy, long noses like the "money" bullets need to be harder, like 16-1, the old govt nose bullets can be cast from 30-1 or pure. With pure lead you will find that its very hard to get the mold to fill out completely, tin will help with this. with a 45-70 sizing to .459 should be good but, a slugging of the barrel should be done to find the correct size. also to get good accuracy with lead, seat your bullets out as far as you can, I know in a lever gun this can be hard to do. Felix lube is fantastic for the 45-70!! getting a mold with a gas check will help too!

The MRI lead is usually pure, if your going to shoot it with out a coating dont add linotype, its not needed to be that hard, Antimony has a tendency to lead too, if you look at the RCBS 405 FNGC or RCBS 300 FNGC (perfect for lever guns) that bullet cast at 20-1 with felix lube from my lever gun, sharps, shiloh and pedersoli all shoot 2-3in groups, (maybe 4in at worst) at 200yds and just stack them at 100yds.

matt

What type and make is your rifle? Lever, bolt or single shot?
No promises and I am at work and can not check till after 10:30ish but I shoot
458" bullets out of my .50 cal muzzloaders I use to have some from Hornady, Barnes and I think Sierra
The problem isn't if I have any left its do I have any left in sufficient numbers to be worth while to anyone besides me
I do have several boxes of 300 grain Barnes Originals but they are my go to ML bullet for my Savage 10ML-II smokeless loads and I don't have enough of them to part with any
But I MIGHT and not promising anything but just might have enough of other types to be able to part with a few.
I absolutely love to shoot and my inline MLS ( I own three in 50 caliber one in 45) and I go through a butt load of bullets and sabots
**** shame you're not needing 300 grn 45 cal 451" XTP"s as I have lots of them.

Never thought my policy of always buying reloading components in very very large quantities would be paying off to this significant of a degree
I'll take an inventory and let you know again not making any promises
I am VERY very sorry to report I have less than 40 0.458" bullets left that I could part with. 21 Hornady .458" 325grn FTX's and 18 300grn .458" Hornady SJHP. No where near enough to be of any use for reloading and load development, I am afraid.
Sorry I took so long to reply but I was absolutely certain I had at least one new un-opened Hornady .458" 300grn JHP's and one new un-opened box of the .458" 325grn Hornady FTX's and looked everywhere in my reloading supplies which took considerable time as I have all most a dozen cabinets on the wall alone that hold all kinds of reloading component odds and ends and very large numbers of different bullets from when I was developing loads for my inline ML's and smokeless 10ML-II. Unfortunately vast majority are 0.452 caliber which are obviously unacceptable for use in reloading for a .458" 45/70.
Again my apologies.

Thanks for you fine efforts. They are greatly appreciated. I was able to get a box of the Hornady 325gr tipped, 200 cast and coated 350gr. and 400gr. ( from Acme) and 100 350 gr. Remington. I certainly have a good start in my project. I'm most hopeful that the cast bullets work well because availability and cost are very favorable. Depending on their performance, i May cast my own.

Best wishes,

Check Out Bear Tooth Bullets Forum for Sub MOA cast bullets out of any 45/70 444 or 45 Colt 44 mag etc...

Been there and done it with all and the speed you can push them will blow you away.

Thanks DJ. The Cabelas website was down for 4 hours and their operators were not able to place orders. I checked every 15 minutes. Finally got on. Typed as fast as I could. Success. Now I have a good supply at a reasonable price.

Thanks for hooking me up.

Last edited:
Always a pleasure helping out a fellow reloader when ever I can. Bought two boxes myself.
I have already worked up very accurate loads for all my preferred ML bullets so I don't need to shoot any more than needed to confirm POA/POI.
When I wish to shoot for fun I use up my .452" Hornady 300grn XTP's as I have 100's of them. Use them with Harvester Red Crushed sabots and they are scary accurate.
I save my far fewer in number .458" bullets strictly for hunting.
My all time best performing ML bullet for my .50 Cal inlines is the .458" 300 grain Barnes Original SP. At the time I felt foolish spending the $55/50 buying several 50 count boxes of them that was until they became as hard to come by as hens teeth. I do not recall the last time a found any in stock.
I bought the Hornady FTX's as a far more easy to find and more economical alternative to the Barnes. And I am glad to say they work every bit as good.

Last edited:
I'm finishing up the Ruger no.1 rebuild tomorrow. Cases are prepped and ready to load. Going to shoot it this coming week when we are expected to hit mid 50s. Been a relatively cold winter. Relative because it's not North Dakota cold but still 15-38.

Boys and their toys.