• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Canceled. New 45-70 but NO. Thanks to all.

Shtmagnet

I picked up a new to me 45-70. I have cases, powder, and primers but no bullets. I did not think that it would be impossible to find bullets but is seems to be. I spend a couple of hours searching the net and can only find bullets suitable for elephant and rhino hunting. I bought the rifle for short range deer and elk hunting. If anyone can help a brother out you would be a friend for life and pretty much guarantee a place in heaven. I live in Idaho and would be willing to trade Varget, H4895, or primers. I also have bullets; 44 Mag JHP, Sierra GMM 175 gr. Tipped, or 45ACP 230 gr. Could also trade loaded 556 green tipped or 7.62 NATO ammo. Of course PayPal for those geographically challenged.

My preference is Hornady 45015 325gr FTX or any bullet 350gr-400gr, but beggars can't always be choosy.

I do see solid lead bullets available but worry that most are made for cowboy action shooting and would create leading at higher velocities. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton. Gun guys are the best. I need to study their offering but have a question. UM?

Again, thanks a ton.

Lol Um!! Like UM did you check??? It means nothing, just makes me laugh every time someone says can't find and I go to Swift's site and they have it. To many people look at Hornady, Nosler, and every other run of the mill bullet and skip Swift.. Swift is the premier bullet used by PH's in Africa and big game hunters around the world, but over looked by most of us in the US.

Lol Um!! Like UM did you check??? It means nothing, just makes me laugh every time someone says can't find and I go to Swift's site and they have it. To many people look at Hornady, Nosler, and every other run of the mill bullet and skip Swift.. Swift is the premier bullet used by PH's in Africa and big game hunters around the world, but over looked by most of us in the US.
I agree, PH's don't use junk...

I show that they are currently out of stock on the 45-70. I'm on their email list. Maybe someone beat me to the punch.

Thanks for pointing me to Swift. Never used them before and your are correct, looked at the others and never thought of swift. Been a gun guy my whole life and learn more every day.

Bullets only. I do show a 400 and 450 but they expand at higher velocities than I'm planning. Muzzle 1800-1900, range up to 200 yards. The two they have in stock (A Frame) won't expand at my expected velocities. The ones out of stock will.

I have been to Africa 9 times, 1st time I showed up with 7mm rem mag for plains game, I could tell PH rolled his eyes. After a week of hunting and becoming friends he told me slow and big beats fast and little through brush.. He would rather me show up with a 190 gr 308 then a 180 gr 7mm. And it seams like every PH shoots 375H&H, and 458Lott with Swift Bullets for dangerous game. I asked about bullets and was told most people from US show up with Hornady Ammo so they tell them to load soft, solid, soft and so on.. With Swift bullets no need for solids.. So next time I showed with my m77 416 Rigby with 400 gr Swift, the PH laughed and said you learn fast!!

I double checked my load manual and I know they are conservative, but the show around 1900 - 2000 fps on 350gr bullets. I have shot bog hogs and just punched holes through them because I didn't get the expansion. I shot a 750 lb boar and the bullet vaporized on his armor. I do think the Swift lever action bullet 350 grain pushed at 2000 fps would be the cats meow. I have killed at least 100 hogs and bullet performance is key to not tracking wounded, scary animals that want to fight.

Thanks greatly for your advice. Gun guys are the best.