Buying a used Labradar, what do I need to know before I buy

If you did buy a used Lab....it would be worthless for re-sale when you want to upgrade. The sheer mass of them is user Unfriendly. As others say...wait till you can afford the Garmin.... they're awesome!

Will LR even support/repair the old units? Can you trust them after they dumped the old model on their customers with out letting them know they had a new model coming out? I love that Garmin came to market in the middle of the transition an gave them some instant carma/a taste of their own medicine

Bought LR with two friends. We had 700 into it. Wouldn't pick up the occasion shot no big deal. Took out one day with some expensive lathe turn bullets the wind was setting it off. Never got one reading. Bought Garmin haven't missed one yet. Tears don't last long and skipping a few meals was probably good for me.

Over the years of observing the original LabRadar in use by others at my gun club there was never a recommendation to buy, only cautions of how finicky they are. Then there are a few who've had good luck with them with an honest "occasional" missed shot, most of these have invested in additional accessories or custom stands etc adding to the already expensive cost. I kept my Caldwell optical, which works the same. The only advantage of the original LabRadar was setup behind the muzzle... which is a big advantage at a gun club but not when its the only advantage for the cost.

Since Garmin came out I waited for reviews, asked the guys at the club I saw using one and every single time the answer came back with a huge visible smile of how satisfied they were, all with an honest "never a missed shot". Ask about setup difficulty and many would just move it to your rifle and say give it a couple rounds.

I'll summarize this, @ $600 a Garmin I agree its a huge investment. But IMO anyone who's into handloading probably has more invested in their handloading press and equipment its worth saving for the Garmin.

If you did buy a used Lab....it would be worthless for re-sale when you want to upgrade. The sheer mass of them is user Unfriendly. As others say...wait till you can afford the Garmin.... they're awesome!
When it is time for me to upgrade, my LR will be a back-up, just like my Crony is now.🤣 And yes, it still works.

I almost never sell anything for the simple reason it is more trouble for me than it is worth. So I have a Chrony, Magneto Speed, LR, and now a Garmin. The LR worked well; yes, it is a bit finicky in terms of "aiming" it, but it did pick up shots. I use the original plate that came with it and have never had one blow over.

The Garmin is better than the LR except for one thing: battery life. I have two battery packs for my LR and never run out of juice. The other day my Garmin was dead. Luckily, the Garmin charges relatively fast.

The biggest advantage to the Garmin is size - I record every single shot I take except when hunting.