Bullets with exposed lead.

hemiford

Why do some bullets have lead exposed on the powder end ?
Most are jacketed around the back end, with soft points lead only exposed on the tip.

FMJ, Partition style bullets have exposed lead at the rear because of design, the lead has to get in there somehow.
I have recovered enough Partitions in numerous cals to know that the lead often compresses, however, the jacket does not always deform, although Swift A-frames seem to always deform the rear jacket.

Cheers.

Because the bullets are built like an "H". The jacket material divides the lead into two sections. This allows for a good expanding bullet while preventing lead core & jacket separation. It results in a very good bullet for results on game and for some, is the standard to judge bullet performance by.

Because the bullets are built like an "H". The jacket material divides the lead into two sections. This allows for a good expanding bullet while preventing lead core & jacket separation. It results in a very good bullet for results on game and for some, is the standard to judge bullet performance by.
That is true for the NP, but not all exposed bullet lead cores are designed similarly.

1726659828972.jpeg

(NP, far right).

Below is a Remington CoreLokt SP.

1726659476200.jpeg

1726659525844.jpeg

(https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bullet-construction.283735/page-11)

Feenix (Ed) I appreciate these presentations of cross sectioned bullets. Great work! How do you hold the bullets when making the cuts? Are you using an endmill?
Sorry, it was not my work. If you click the link I provided below the last picture, you can see that it was @Petey308 hard work and creation. He does not frequent here as he used to, he's been too busy at work and running his business.

I too have recovered numerous Partitions and have never once recovered one in which the front portion of the bullet wasn't a perfect mushroom (barring hitting bone). I have recovered some that were devoid of the front portion of lead, but the jacket was still perfectly mushroomed and the rear portion is always intact. This includes a 700+ yard shot at a wounded antelope that I recovered on the off side, under the hide. This was with a 270 Win, 130 grain Partition.

I hunted big game exclusively with Partitions for over 50 years and other than a very close shot, where the bullet destroyed a lot of meat, they have always performed perfectly. Thus I have never had any inclination to even try other bullets for hunting. When something works perfectly there is nothing left to "fix!"
Cheers,
crkckr

I tried 120gr in my 25/06. Shot a deer at about 40yds. The bullet blood shoted entired side of that deer. bullet didn't hit the shoulder either. It was a heart lung shot. First and last time I every use partition bullets. I still have that box somewhere to remind me. I do use their B.T. and AB without the blood shot. They are my go to bullets and have been for a great many years.