Bullets Pencilling Through

Thanks for everyone's input. The reason that I'm looking for a clear blood trail is that where I hunt, there's a ton of thick low brush with lots of thorns. Deer can disappear quickly once they head down a game trail, even if you know where they entered the brush. No blood trail makes it difficult to find the deer.
The bullets are definitely doing their job, I just need a trail.

I have great success with 280AI with Hornady 162ELDX Precision Hunter ammo. 75 yards to 350 yards. Attached picture is base of a 162 ELDX that drove from chest to tail on an antelope at 300 yards - looking at me so impacted center of chest and drove through - the front half of projectile fragmented violently and the base drove end to end resting against hide at rear end. That is the way it is designed - fragmentation and penetration. It will not have a pretty mushroom at close to mid range only at long range when slowed down dramatically.

1730140987421.jpeg

Where I hunt there are greenbriar BlackBerry and Devil's Walking Sticks; not to mention cutovers! You don't even want a deer to run, much less run more than 20 yards if he gets into that stuff. 50 yards and it can turn into quite an ordeal to get him out. We have thickets that are impenetrable.
The only preventive is overkill with fast cartridge, reliable expansion and penetration so hunters here need a fast put down. Just employ Bischof's Rule of Extreme Overkill.

At your velocity I'd run a Nosler ballistic tip, for rib age shots.
Accubonds for high shoulder shot, no exit or blood trail required.

If the deer are that small bodied the BT hunting will exit no problem, at your velocity.
Precision out to 500yds is impressive with them. I have not tried them beyond on paper or animals,

At your velocity I'd run a Nosler ballistic tip, for rib age shots.
Accubonds for high shoulder shot, no exit or blood trail required.

If the deer are that small bodied the BT hunting will exit no problem, at your velocity.
Precision out to 500yds is impressive with them. I have not tried them beyond on paper or animals,
Nosler bt is definitely a solid choice. We've had good luck with them

Hit a doe once with 338 Win Mag 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. She didn't go anywhere. And you should have seen the exit hole! Didn't damage any meat, just every single thing in between.

Trust me I know where you are coming from hunting in the deep south. Lots of guys go overboard on penetration shooting copper. If you like long blood trails through said thickets go ahead. Personally the Nosler Ballistic tip has given me the best compromise of great expansion and reliable exits. Just shoot a weight you can push fast. Speed kills quick.

Trust me I know where you are coming from hunting in the deep south. Lots of guys go overboard on penetration shooting copper. If you like long blood trails through said thickets go ahead. Personally the Nosler Ballistic tip has given me the best compromise of great expansion and reliable exits. Just shoot a weight you can push fast. Speed kills quick.
I haven't had a regular 7mm 140g Nosler BT exit but 1 time in 20 years. I always find the copper under the skin on the opposite side.
I would say 98% they are DRT 2% went less then 30 yards.