Bullets Pencilling Through

bill123

Shooting 6.5CM Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X chronographed at 2680. I've had great experiences with this ammo before. I was getting good exit holes with visible blood trails. Not sure if I'm using a new box of ammo now.

I just shot 2 deer at under 100 yards, 96 & 180 lbs in south Texas. Both deer had caliber sized entry and exit wounds with zero blood trail. Both deer found dead in the brush less than 50 yards away.

Any thoughts on why the exit wounds would be so small with no blood trail?

Saw the same thing, same caliber but with Bergers. WT Deer, maybe 80# soaking wet, at less than 100 yards, follow up shot at about 10 feet. Bullet size entry and exit on both. They worked just fine on Pronghorn at 325.

I've heard rumblings that people claim that the ELDX isn't a great bullet for inside 100 and I believe you can find posts on multiple forums about that topic

Shooting 6.5CM Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X chronographed at 2680. I've had great experiences with this ammo before. I was getting good exit holes with visible blood trails. Not sure if I'm using a new box of ammo now.

I just shot 2 deer at under 100 yards, 96 & 180 lbs in south Texas. Both deer had caliber sized entry and exit wounds with zero blood trail. Both deer found dead in the brush less than 50 yards away.

Any thoughts on why the exit wounds would be so small with no blood trail?

If the bullets didn't expand and just "penciled through", I'd expect those deer to go a alot farther than "less than 50yds". Small exit holes don't necessarily mean that the bullets didn't properly expand. Nosler Partition bullets often leave small exit holes, and they normally shed their noses off completely.

What did the deer's lungs (or whatever you hit) look like when the deer was field dressed?

You can't tell much from entrance and exit wounds. A bullet can make a terrible mess inside and have a small exit. For ex, only a small piece of core exits or the "mushroom" is small because lot of material blown off either because of bullet design or hit a sustantial bone

Lou

What did the lungs look like? If you look at Hornadys gel block tests, you'll see football shaped wound channels. That "football" may have been in the chest, with what's left of the bullet exiting through the skin.

hard to judge a bullet on exit wounds or blood trails, both of which are hard to control and not reproducible.

You could use something like an accubond or Barnes..you may get more of an exit wound at the expense of less internal damage.

I prefer to see at least a golf ball sized exit hole. But you need velocity to get expansion like that. I've noticed that bullets perform better once you get somewhere around 2800. Always get good exit hole with my 270 WSM at 3080 fps.