Build a new hunting rifle as cheap as possible?

Yep...I am with you Sherm. Can't go longer than .300 WM factory ammo - I wanted to build a .300 PRC on the Tikka - but it will not work.

If I was gonna do a 300WM and run 200 grain bullets and bigger go Rem action and Remage barrel if you wanna go the cheapest route. I would want atleast a 3.7 mag box need longer wyatts is easy just a little Mill work, and tons of other options if you want to up grade in the future.

Anyone had any experience with the Savage 110 High Country? Sure looks sexy. Probably has the same magazine box problems as my LRH.

I'd be fine building or buying. Perhaps I'll start trolling the local shops for a beat up Savage or Remington, and strip it down and build from there. I basically went the "custom barrel" on a Savage action with my current rifle. It shoots pretty good, and I'm happy with the setup.

I figure a barrel is $500, stock is $500, trigger is $150, so building may be no cheaper than buying if I'm not willing to sacrifice my current rifle for its action. A good part of the reason I've not already just put a new barrel on it though, is because I'd like to have a second rifle as a loaner/backup.

Go pawn shop jumping for an old rem 700 adl syn LA. Probably pick one up in rough shape for 300 bucks or less. Go to Ebay, pick up a remage barrel in an xcaliber or Wilson for 300 bucks. Timney 510 for 100 bucks. Skip over to stockys stocks for one of the M50 lrs stocks on sale for 149.99 right now. Screw it all together yourself for free.

Oh, and a box mag from any of the aftermarket providers. If you really wanna cheap out, you can use magpuls floor plates. The work good and are CHEAP. They have steel incerts at the action screws so there is no problem torquing the action with the plastic floor plate.

I picked up a Kreiger remage barrel with 100 rounds down the tube on Ebay for 200 bucks in 6.5 creed last month. The chamber is very snug and straight. Same guy that built that barrel built the xcaliber barrel that's on my remage gun now. Just getting it together and I havent loaded anything for it yet, but it shoots better than your .8 standard with EVERYTHING I've shot through it in factory ammo so far. Shoots .5 with Norma target. All bought on fleabay.

If you want to stay with the heavier bullets, suggest faster twist. AICS 300WM magazine will go typically 3.625" so that may be option. Already mentioned Magpul LA stock for 700. Grab 700 donor action, Timney trigger, Remage 1:8 barrel for the 700 and you will probably check off most of your needs. The Magpul stock does carry some weight which is not all that bad for the 300WM using heavier bullets either.

I am middle of 700 300WSM build with Magpul 700 stock, AICS magazine, installed Timney. Waiting to build up some funds for Remage barrel. Otherwise looking pretty good so far.

Been loving my remington 700 AWR. Cleans up easy and shoots multiple loads great
07922A91-B446-4AC9-AD68-6BCB44E39C44.jpeg

I bought a stockys LRC stock a while back and am very impressed on value. It's not light, but it's far from a floppy syn stock. It has an aluminum bedding block and straight grip . The unpainted version was on sale for 150 bucks. A ridiculous price for what your getting.
The one I would suggest for the OP is the M50 version of the same stock. It has a more traditional grip and also comes with snap in cheek risers. Gives the option of 3 different heights. Only down side for me was the 3.5 lbs weight. But if you want a very solid built stock at a great price, I havent seen anything that will touch it , bang for buck.

Besides the stockys piece, boyds lightweight thumbhole is a great value too. If your not picky on color, they have what they call a " rapid fire " option. It's just stocks that are premade , but they are pretty deeply discounted . Like 170 bucks made to order vs 100 for a rapid fire, it just is what it is on color. Good opportunity to try your hand at a camo job.
I replaced my Stockys LRC with a Boyd's light weight thumbhole and trimmed 1 1/2 lbs off the gun weight. I picked up a pillar bedding kit for mine and glass bedded it too. That should give you as solid an action bed as the LRC. If you DIY the pillar and glass bedding, it is about a wash on pricing, if you do the rapid fire option.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.