Brown bear Rifle

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
As long as you stay with that bonded bullet your good. if you want to move up then 375 HH is your next step in my opinion . We've killed with both and both are good but the 375HH shut him down.

I have seen them shooting seals with them out in the sound. I sort of forgot about that until it was mentioned.

I saw this on the other recommended forum.
They put it to a vote, how many would use the same smaller caliber weapon if they were paying mid 4 figures to facilitate a hunt. Not sure how honest the responses were.
%57 said they would use the same gun vs using a large caliber.

it’s another interesting point.

Food for thought.

How much does a tag cost them, and what happens if they don’t find the animal?
And how many walk into willow and/or alder thickets with a 224 or 6.5 blunderbuss tracking a wounded grizzly or brown bear?
Versus how many climb back on their snow machines or ATVs, and head back to a warm home?

Last edited:
Kin
I’m not sure I would be inclined to tracked wounded brown bear even if it was hit with a howitzer.
It does remind of a quote from a gunsight instructor. The gun usually gets the credit when it works and when it doesn’t work. However, it’s really never the gun.
Kinda like hemmingway in the green hills of Africa "I don't care if you can hit a lemon every time at 200 yards. I want to know what you can do on a lion at 5.

I saw this on the other recommended forum.
They put it to a vote, how many would use the same smaller caliber weapon if they were paying mid 4 figures to facilitate a hunt. Not sure how honest the responses were.
%57 said they would use the same gun vs using a large caliber.

it’s another interesting point.

Food for thought.
Try 6 figures for some animals

I’m not sure I would be inclined to tracked wounded brown bear even if it was hit with a howitzer.
It does remind of a quote from a gunsight instructor. The gun usually gets the credit when it works and when it doesn’t work. However, it’s really never the gun.
There's a reason a semi auto is optimal. Shoot until it's not moving. You don't want to track it anywhere. But it needs to be low recoiling enough that you stay on target through the shots. There should be at least 2 bullets in the bear before the bear can react. Cns hits very optimal.
Unless you're in the wide open then whatever.