Brown bear Rifle

No matter what caliber you choose, shot placement is key.
To get down into the weeds in it. One guide talked about the idea people have of shooting a big bear through both shoulders. He said that would stop one if, you snapped them both but man if you just get one and not the other you're going to have a situation. However, he said the same thing about getting both lungs and not just one.
Shot placement and geometry are all critical. It's an exciting challenge when they have the ability to get back at you.

So a .223 will put a brown bear down with a well placed shot? Really?
🤔. That is an interesting proposition. Can’t say I have ever heard of anyone that has tried.
I would say yes but to C-130 point . Has to be head shot, nice and clean. Nobody usually tries that.
It’s an interesting idea.

🤔. That is an interesting proposition. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone that has tried.
I would say yes but to C-130 point . Has to be head shot, nice and clean. Nobody usually tries that.
It's an interesting idea.

I agree. A head shot is usually a fatal shot, but there’s a huge difference between a head shot with a .223 and a .375.

I wonder if the bear would know which one he was shot with?

Food for thought.

Perhaps we need to add some variables to make this a more fruitful discussion. I think range is a huge factor in this equation. On both ends, as the caliber of choice may not work well at greater distances, either because it runs out of gas or it is just under powered.

So, let’s say 30-06 is the over / under line in terms of caliber and velocity. What distance are comfortable taking on a big bear with the 30-06 (180-200 grain or shooters choice).

What I hope to determine is if some of the smaller stuff gives more confidence to the shooter, if the range is greater or greatly reduced perhaps.

This should be fun.

So a .223 will put a brown bear down with a well placed shot? Really?
It might, but probably not. I wouldn't want to find out personally. You must also use a caliber that has more than a snowballs chance in hell of penatrating far enough to cause lethal damage. A 223 is probably not up to that task.

Case in point; even if you used a 50bmg, a poorly placed shot would probably just **** it off. Badly hurt, maybe. Sure it might slow it down, but just because you are using a large caliber is no guarantee that it will put the animal down. Shot placement is key. Along with selecting a caliber appropriate to the game in question.

Years of experience by hunters taking dangerous game in Africa have dictated minimum calibers for certain game. As an example, the 375HH is the smallest caliber allowed in taking most dangerous game there.

🤔. That is an interesting proposition. Can't say I have ever heard of anyone that has tried.
It's an interesting idea.

There's a thread 223 for bear elk moose goat etc. Google it. It's very long. It has a ton of photos of folks killing literally everything from browns to small deer to walrus.
With an appropriate bullet at appropriate ranges where that bullet still works, it seems adequate for anything in north America and is used regularly. And not head shots.

I confirmed it. He’s right. Photos include wound channels and all. Very thorough debate to the tune of 384 pages on that particular forum.

Check it.