Brown bear Rifle

The 30-0-6 and above is a serious brown bear rifle and I like the .338 Winchester with Barnes X bullets.

I also prefer the older Mod. 70 style trigger and non detachable magazines. Heck, go find a used Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" .338 and go kill a bear.

They really don't. If they did we'd stop seeing threads about how energy kills things.

But to clarify, bow hunters are doing it for attention right?
Hunting deer and elk with archery gear, for me, is largely about longer(and usually earlier) seasons with less of a crowd. If rifle season were extended to be be the same as archery season, I'd not hunt archery.
I wouldn’t hunt brown bear with a bow because there is no upside if there’s not a separate season, but significant downside in range and effectiveness compared to a proper centerfire rifle.

I listen to people who have first hand knowledge
Weatherby award winners, world slam holders, super slam holders, and outfitters
Simple google searches don't hold much weight to me.
Too many people who write the articles your reading, are paid to say positive things about the product. And most of them just aren't that experienced. The hotcore and weld core bullets have their place in Africa. And that place is when you do not want your bullet to exit your target animal. So if your shooting into a herd of Cape buffalo. You don't want to kill what's behind the animal you're aiming at. That's not the case on a brown bear hunt. Maximum expansion as well as penetration are paramount. I shot 2 bison with my 416 with those bullets and the terminal performance was terrible. The other bison I killed was with a 378 wby and barnes ttsx. It died a lot faster, but I was more than happy with the complete pass through the bullet made. I should be on my way back from hunting brown bears in Alaska but unfortunately one of my employees wife was diagnosed with breast cancer so I had to postpone it. I was bringing a 338 ss with ttsx's. I've killed a grizzly with a 6.5 cal and a frames as well
The people I'm reading arn't mag authors. They are experienced hunters. You should not disregard your experience, but you should be willing to admit that other people may, lefitimately, have different experiences. Sometimes those people have far more experience than you. Another example is the ttsx, which more than one person finds to have "penciled through". On balance , I'd use them.

Your experience is your experience, but it's far from encompassing all experience. If I were going to hunt bear, having consulted some authorities, I'd consult a small handful of people who have great experience; I wouldn't consult you, because I don't know you and I don't know anyone who does. The people I read do have far more experience than you, unless you're a professional hunter.

What this thread illustrates is how little most hunters understand about how bullets kill things. I bet if someone asks, he'd put a tape on the hide.

Do bow hunters have poor character also?
My Father's family owned a slaughterhouse. Dad was an avid .45 Colt shooter, the vet who inspected the slaughterhouse was an archery hunter. They tested the comparative penetration of Dad's .45 Colt SAA 7.5" and the vet's 80 lb bow. They used the carcass of a 2000 lb horse that was there available; it was dead but not bled out, dead by a killing bolt. Dad's hard cast bullets: one stuck in the fence behind the horse, the other he found just under the skin on exit side. The arrow point penetrated fully. I don't know where they shot on the carcass, but both were aware enough to undertand that that would affect the outcome. The bow is pretty powerful.

The people I'm reading arn't mag authors. They are experienced hunters. You should not disregard your experience, but you should be willing to admit that other people may, lefitimately, have different experiences. Sometimes those people have far more experience than you. Another example is the ttsx, which more than one person finds to have "penciled through". On balance , I'd use them.

Your experience is your experience, but it's far from encompassing all experience. If I were going to hunt bear, having consulted some authorities, I'd consult a small handful of people who have great experience; I wouldn't consult you, because I don't know you and I don't know anyone who does. The people I read do have far more experience than you, unless you're a professional hunter.
Your advice is coming from other people and the internet. My advice comes from me. Big difference. If you dont have any experience of your own, your just attempting to repeat what has already been said. Your not adding anything new.

You should go on a bear hunt. Then you can see what its like. Book one on the peninsula or kodiak. Spend around 35-40k. And come back with some first hand knowledge. Because thats what everyone is looking for.

Your right, you dont know me. But ill guarantee you that the most experienced people that you read do.

I've never seen a 7' collie.

It's not a particularly big one, but it still illustrates than it's perfectly adequate. He even purposely took a non-ideal shot.
There's a reason a lot of guides require a minimum caliber for brown bear. I'd believe the guide I hunted with twice that requires 30 cal minimum, and usually insists on 338. He's killed around 11 brownies himself and has guided hunters to over 100. So I'll take his word on what should be used over some guy who wants to get attention by using a 223. I'm aware of the rokslide thread, and am a huge fan of the 223 for deer and elk at appropriate ranges, but going on a $35k dangerous game hunt with a 223 just has no logic to it. Even if it will work sometimes, any of us that have hunted brown bears know that common sense dictates it's not a good idea.

Last edited:
Your advice is coming from other people and the internet. My advice comes from me. Big difference. If you dont have any experience of your own, your just attempting to repeat what has already been said. Your not adding anything new.

You should go on a bear hunt. Then you can see what its like. Book one on the peninsula or kodiak. Spend around 35-40k. And come back with some first hand knowledge. Because thats what everyone is looking for.

Your right, you dont know me. But ill guarantee you that the most experienced people that you read do.
Pretty big head, Mr. Marky...

There's a reason a lot of guides require a minimum caliber for brown bear. I'd believe the guide I hunted with twice that requires 30 cal minimum, and usually insists on 338. He's killed around 11 brownies himself and has guided hunters to over 100. So I'll take his word on what should be used over some guy who want to get attention by using a 223. I'm aware of the rokslide thread, and am a huge fan of the 223 for deer and elk at appropriate ranges, but going on a $35k dangerous game hunt with a 223 just has no logic to it. Even if it will work sometimes, any of us that have hunted brown bears know that common sense dictates it's not a good idea.
I'm required to have a guide anywhere grizzlies or brown bear. If someone can provide me a link to a serious guide that will let me bring a .223 I'd appreciate it.

Just to see how long before he hangs up. I know black bear guides that wouldn't let you hunt with a .223.

I've been on many black bear hunts that were all outfitted. I've asked most of the guides and outfitters about the guns people select. The smallest cartridge that I was ever told about was the 22-250. Black bears are easy to kill but apparently most black bear hunters take their cartridge selection more serious than brown bear hunters. :rolleyes: 🤣

It's unlikely that I'll ever hunt brown bears but if I did, my trusty 375 Ruger would be put back in service.

More years ago than I want to count I took this 8 foot + mountain grizzly at 247 yards with my .338 win mag. Every previous post concerning bullet placement is spot on, but in order to assure proper bullet placement one has to become intimate with your rifle. I shot my religiously (10 shots minimum at each session) weekly from May through August before my September hunt. You MUST know you weapon intimately (even better than your wife, IMO) to assure proper bullet placement while under the excitement/stress of the situation. From personal experience, my bear dropped at the shot, but my guide & I put an additional 7 rounds into him (for insurance sake "bullets are cheap, compared to what you just spent on this bear hunt" said the guide). We waited 20 odd minutes for him to "stiffen up"; and low and behold he (the bear) swung a paw-probably his death throw-so the guide & I hit him again. Bears have a tendency to maintain an extreme hold onto life and you don't want to mess with a LIVE ****ED OFF bear. So, to summarize, IMO, 300 mag and up are fine but GET TO REALLY KNOW YOUR RIFLE and how and where it shoots
Well said, I have a 300 win mag, 338 win mag but for my bucket list hunts had a custom 375 RUGER made. I am just having fun getting the feel for her. In my humble opinion, takes minimum of about 150-200 rounds to get the ins and outs of a rifle before a big hunt, wind no wind, dial in, etc,. Just need to know your gear, being an older guy that wants a clean kill with every shot.

A buddy of mine was a forestry surveyor up in Alaska and he told me his story of why he started to manage apartment complexes, before he moved back to Missouri. His experience and reading many threads here made me go up in caliber. I feel I now have a caliber that allows me to shoot well and be comfortable with being able to take an animal clean. Shot placement is paramount, but as many have said some bears just don't want to go down.

Haven`t read all 37 pages mind, but has anyone espoused the benefits of using a .223 with a 77grain TMK? It`s all the rage on some sites for everything pretty much south of an elephant. Extensive pictures of damage to elk and deer and moose, etc., etc. I even asked about Alaskan browns and grizzlies and got affirmative responses.
I know that all of those animals that you just wrote about can hurt you, but..... they do not weigh in at 800-1400 pounds, have a nasty disposition with teeth and claws that will tear a person apart "just because", and will fight to the death for their cubs or for their latest kill. I have a post in this thread somewhere in the "500+" replies where a group of hunters, who have been hunting Alaska for decades, switched from .300 WinMags to controlled feed .338 WinMags because one of the group was seriously injured by a wounded bear. I wrote controlled feed because when he tried to rack in another round the extractor (Browning X Bolt?) pulled through the rim of the case causing a catastrophic jamb when the bolt picked up the followup round out of the magazine. I haven't read Creedmoor yet, perhaps a .22 Creedmoor with a 77 grain TMK will get the job done;):eek:👍 But... I would not want to be the one doing the evaluation of that combination.

Recent Posts