Brake question

My $.02;
If he's recoil shy with .243, a brake may cause a flinch also. I've personally seen it with kids.

I would start with a few other things. Add more weight to the rifle, add a nice recoil pad, and/or use "reduced" recoil rounds.

In time, a brake could be used as they become a more proficient shooter. I just feel brakes can cause a pretty good "concussion" vs un-braked and cause a flinch in anticipation for it (primarily with youth shooters).

Like others have mentioned above, suppressors are where it's at. Although suppressor recoil reduction isn't as good as a brake, it's still pretty substantial. In addition to the recoil reduction, there's very little muzzle blast.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned it will work just not as effective as a correctly sized one. But I would suggest first double his hearing protection with foam inserts and over the ear muffs and shooting the light bullets, say 90 garins. If he is still sensitive make his rifle heavier. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

My 9yr old son is shooting a cva scout 243.. hes alil recoil shy... id like to curb that issue for him so hopefully he doesnt pick up any bad shooting habits at a young age.... the gun is already treaded for a brake... i have a 30cal brake laying around... will there be any issue using that on the 243? Or should i get a different size
Stay your course with him and you'll be fine. No one knows him better than you. There is nothing better than spending time with him and passing on the tradition. Have fun and good luck!

Forgot one thing that helps. And I've personally used this method as a full grown adult (take my man card if need be).

Life jacket

When I was doing load development for my lightweight 338 WM, I started to develop a flinch after just a handful of groups (this was in my pre-suppressor days). Went to the shed and grabbed my life jacket from the boat. Night and day difference. I also did this with my oldest daughter.

Your profile shows New York so a suppressor is probably not possible although it is very effective. As others stated, you can try the 30 caliber brake to see if it helps but I would be concerned about the noise level creating a flinch with the young man. I believe the recommendation to add weight to the stock and a better recoil pad may be your best option if the brake doesn't help him.

I have a Ruger M77 bolt action rifle in .357 mag. Wears an older Trijicon 1.25-4x scope. My kids and my friend's kids love shooting that especially at steel targets (50 to 100 yards). Great starter rifle to get kids used to shooting with proper form, sight picture and follow through. Hits the steel way harder than a .22 and provides great sound/feedback to them. They think they are shooting a bigger rifle. Really no recoil at all with full strength 357 rounds and absolutely zero recoil if you load .38 special.

Have seen a few kids, including mine, go from this rifle to then shooting a hunting caliber rifle no problem. The Ruger is a great practice rifle and a lot a fun. Maybe an option to consider for your 9 year old

The .30-cal brake will work, but not as effectively as the one with the best clearance for a .24-cal.

I have all kinds of muzzle devices and have been using them since 2003.

It is not the most effective IMHO, but if you are on a budget, it is probably the best-priced self-timing brake since the rifle is already threaded, https://www.rossbrakes.com/shop, and for a tuner brake, https://www.harrellsprecision.com/products/tactical-tuner-brakes

There are a lot of effective muzzle brakes out there, depending on your budget. Good luck!
The fireball issue is something I've noticed about every .243Win. rifle I've ever seen. If your taking out a youth to sneak up on some does at 50yrds you could look into a heavier and slower bullet. dk bout the muzzle flash but that should help recoil a little. So my gunsmith had his own patented muzzle break. He does his own lathe work and matches the barrel coating. It looks like it's just part of the rifle, as much so as the bolt does. Combined w/ a decelerator pad, he claimed to be able to make a 300Win shoot like a 308Win. So I had him put it on my 30-06 mule. I hatted shooting my dad's 300Win. Well... No joke. My '06 barely jumped or kicked. It shoots like a 243. My 10yr son shot it and he couldn't tell the difference from my '06 to his Mom's 7mm-08Rem. So I got one put on my 300WSM. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 1st gen. Upgraded Hogue stock w/ aluminum bed. I'll be damed if it's not also comparable to a 243. Unfortunately my gunsmith retired early do to the lingering threat of the ATF targeting small business like his. He charged $100 for the brake and $100 for the machine work to install it. My point is, if you get a $30 brake from 'Sportsman's Warehouse,' It's probably going to function accordingly. You might just end up with a flash suppressor. Be ready to have the muzzle blast thrown out and back at anyone near by. Good luck to both of you!

The fireball issue is something I've noticed about every .243Win. rifle I've ever seen. If your taking out a youth to sneak up on some does at 50yrds you could look into a heavier and slower bullet. dk bout the muzzle flash but that should help recoil a little. So my gunsmith had his own patented muzzle break. He does his own lathe work and matches the barrel coating. It looks like it's just part of the rifle, as much so as the bolt does. Combined w/ a decelerator pad, he claimed to be able to make a 300Win shoot like a 308Win. So I had him put it on my 30-06 mule. I hatted shooting my dad's 300Win. Well... No joke. My '06 barely jumped or kicked. It shoots like a 243. My 10yr son shot it and he couldn't tell the difference from my '06 to his Mom's 7mm-08Rem. So I got one put on my 300WSM. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 1st gen. Upgraded Hogue stock w/ aluminum bed. I'll be damed if it's not also comparable to a 243. Unfortunately my gunsmith retired early do to the lingering threat of the ATF targeting small business like his. He charged $100 for the brake and $100 for the machine work to install it. My point is, if you get a $30 brake from 'Sportsman's Warehouse,' It's probably going to function accordingly. You might just end up with a flash suppressor. Be ready to have the muzzle blast thrown out and back at anyone near by. Good luck to both of you!
I am unsure why you are quoting me; perhaps you meant to respond to the OP. As noted, I have a variety of muzzle devices (MBs and suppressors) and have been using them since 2003 without any issues.

Why put a brake on a .243?

Two favors to consider — noise and recoil.

Chances are he is a bit shy of the sharp report — a big factor in recoil sensitivity.

Make sure his hearing protection is up to snuff. Consider both plugs and muffs.

A brake will make the report a lot louder.

Recoil? Go with 87 and lighter bullets for hunting and his favorite lighter bullets for plinking.

Then the sound and kick he hears and feels will be more like those of the 223 REM.