Bottom Metal For Custom Rifle

Aloha All,

I have never owned a custom rifle in my life, and as I am getting older, decided to have one built on 7mm PRC. I have decided to have a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion Ti long action; 24 inch carbon Proof Research barrel (8 inch twist); Trigger Tech trigger. I am having a difficult time finding bottom metal for this set up. The only one that I could find was Hawkins with the Wyatt box. I have no problems with this hinge plate system, however I would prefer a Detachable Magazine. This is not a deal breaker for me, just a personal preference. Any suggestions on the bottom metal, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep the gun without optics to 7 lbs. or less. Will probably be shooting 175 grain bullets, and would wish the rifle to shoot to 800 yards.

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first build, so I am not very knowledgeable on building a custom rifle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You will not offend me.

Also, any stock recommendation would be greatly appreciated. So far, looking at Manners, Mcmillan, and Pure Precision.

Looking at American Precision Arms muzzle brakes also, but they are heavy.

Thank you all......
Aloha,
geraldhawaii
I Like the MBM Ti muzzle brake for lightweight rifles.

Custom rifles can be a great project. It hasn't been too long since I had my first custom built. I received a great deal of feedback here. Your GS should be able to provide some guidance, but the good ones will advise you to focus on what you want out of the rifle and your own preferences. I personally wanted a tried and proven DBM that was as close to flush fit as possible. The Hawkins Hunter DBM met my expectations. Stocks are also a personal preference item that should line up with how you will be hunting/shooting. Weight was a big consideration for me as I like to put some miles on while hunting. Very little prone type hunting positions where I hunt, so I went with a Mesa/Pure Precision stock. I went with a Hawkin Ti and had it turned to match the contour of the muzzle. To be honest, this was a significant waste of $$$ as I shoot suppressed 99% of the time.

Best of luck in your build.

Recent Posts