Jason56

Quintus, I had two of those rifles, years ago, and I shot factory ammo. I sold one to a friend that killed a lot of elk with it using the Weatherby 117g bullet. I don't know if that bullet was made by norma = ornx or was a Semi point partition made by Nosler.

The 117g Sierra flat base that is a semi-point stabalizes in the 12 twists at 3300, I know that for a fact. The 117g Flat base is discontinued, but there are still some floating around. The Easy button is a Hammer or TTSX bullet in the 80ish grain weight.

When those 12 twist barrel is shot out, I would surely replace it with a 26" 9 Twist where the 115g Bergers & 110g Accubonds will be doing 3600 fps or an 8 twist for use with the 133-134g bullets depending on how far you shoot. Pac Nor has a short freebore reamer, and their three groove barrel is shooting the 100g TTSX at 3850 and 115g Bergers at 3600 with a zero freebore reamer. Groups that Pac Nor barrel is shooting with both 100 and 115g are sub 3/8". Heavy bullets did not exist when this Pac Nor barrel was chambered.

The 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge for a reason.

I just acquired a Sako 257 magnum rifle with 1-12 twist I have been reloading for years but not having much success with finding correct bullet weight. Tried 120gr and thought I would go to the other end of spectrum and try a 60gr. However, it appears to short for proper overall case and bullet length. Hornady 60gr FP. Open minded so have at it. Please. Thank you.
Stability Calculator says that 60gr. bullet will be over stabilized and will not provide any ballistic advantage.

Stability Calculator says that 60gr. bullet will be over stabilized and will not provide any ballistic advantage.
Thank you. I'm just trying to see what gr bullets and powder charges work for this 257 mag. Wanting to make sure case and bullet length in the 60gr will shoot. Overall is 2.85 inches, I could lengthen .035. But is there a good reason to?

Thank you. I'm just trying to see what gr bullets and powder charges work for this 257 mag. Wanting to make sure case and bullet length in the 60gr will shoot. Overall is 2.85 inches, I could lengthen .035. But is there a good reason to?
I'd try the hammers. Contact Hammer and see what worked for them. They've tested almost all their bullets.

Recent Posts