Boots from certain individuals

RH300UM

Looking for input from people that have gone through bunion removal.
I just had my surgery and I am in the recovery process.
I am focusing on 2 goals.
To guide again and a sheep hunt.
I would like to have input from others that have had the same experience and the boots they chose.
Kennetrek is out of the question for me. I was a 20 plus year user and fan of thier boots but this last year showed me the true story of that company. So no more of the company.
I would like to hear if you have a custom insole,boot combo or any input for me to think over.
IMG_9309.jpeg
IMG_9310.jpeg
IMG_9405.jpeg
IMG_9406.jpeg
IMG_7502.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't found a boot that helped with my high arching feet alone. Sheep feet have improved my feet and back tremendously. Have them in every pair of boots and shoes I wear. I don't have experience with bunions but maybe something to look at if you haven't already.

OP would you care to elaborate on the dissatisfaction you are eluding to with both kenetrek and sheep feet? I must say I haven't heard many instances of guys being happily satisfied with kenetrek for 20 years and then all of a sudden dislike them? Also I haven't came across one person that said sheep feet ruined their feet?
Have you tried a custom set of orthotics from a podiatrist?

Looking for input from people that have gone through bunion removal.
I just had my surgery and I am in the recovery process.
I am focusing on 2 goals.
To guide again and a sheep hunt.
I would like to have input from others that have had the same experience and the boots they chose.
Kennetrek is out of the question for me. I was a 20 plus year user and fan of thier boots but this last year showed me the true story of that company. So no more of the company.
I would like to hear if you have a custom insole,boot combo or any input for me to think over. View attachment 589268View attachment 589269View attachment 589270View attachment 589271

Dang man, that looks like it hurts! But I imagine the bunion must have been worse then?

Like I said
I was a Kennetrek fan for 20 years+.
I wore out a pair of soles each year. So I started having them resoled. I had 2 pairs of the mountain extremes. I would rotate through a pair every other year. Send a pair in to get resoled each winter after guide and hunting season was done. I would take both pairs to Alaska with me for the guide season so I had backups if needed.
Well this last fall they both failed. Both soles on both pairs of boots came unglued. This allowed water to fill the boots. My feet then got frostbite as a result. It was absolute misery. Took 5 months to get my toes to regenerate feeling in them.
When I got back to civilization I contacted Kennetrek about the boots failing. They responded by saying all the resole jobs were not guaranteed in anyway so "too bad" and sorry it happened. Not how a company should work in my opinion.
Sheep feet experience was last summer. I bought a pair. Wore them for a week I'm my boots to break them in and make sure there wasn't a problem. I had a couple minor issues with my right foot bunching the sock under my toes but I chalked that up to the bunion on that foot. I take a shakedown hike/overnighter each July before I head to Alaska for the guiding season that starts in August for me.
Those insoles bruised my heels so badly that I went to the doc and had them looked at. Deep bruising in the heels was painful. And 2 weeks before guide season started.
Put the super feet insoles back in my boots and endured the pain which then became secondary to the frostbite that occurred. Contacted sheep feet and they refunded me my money. Good on them. For me I need some sort of pad to absorb the shock in my heels.
So 2 pairs of boots and 1pair of insoles in the garbage.
Now I am basically starting over with my feet. Frostbite is a wait and see if all the damage will heal. Could take 2 years or longer. It may never heal. Not much the doctor can do for it. I got the bunion taken care of finally (6 years was too long to wait). That was one of the benefits of this process for now.

I wish you the best in your recovery. I can't imagine the wear and tear on the feet, ankles, knees and hips from guiding for sheep. Hopefully you will find a combination that will get you back in the game. Obviously you have a very high pain tolerance.
I never got to guide any sheep hunts. The owner always took them. There was only 2 permits allowed for that area. I guided moose, caribou, grizzlies and wolves.

Like I said
I was a Kennetrek fan for 20 years+.
I wore out a pair of soles each year. So I started having them resoled. I had 2 pairs of the mountain extremes. I would rotate through a pair every other year. Send a pair in to get resoled each winter after guide and hunting season was done. I would take both pairs to Alaska with me for the guide season so I had backups if needed.
Well this last fall they both failed. Both soles on both pairs of boots came unglued. This allowed water to fill the boots. My feet then got frostbite as a result. It was absolute misery. Took 5 months to get my toes to regenerate feeling in them.
When I got back to civilization I contacted Kennetrek about the boots failing. They responded by saying all the resole jobs were not guaranteed in anyway so "too bad" and sorry it happened. Not how a company should work in my opinion.
Sheep feet experience was last summer. I bought a pair. Wore them for a week I'm my boots to break them in and make sure there wasn't a problem. I had a couple minor issues with my right foot bunching the sock under my toes but I chalked that up to the bunion on that foot. I take a shakedown hike/overnighter each July before I head to Alaska for the guiding season that starts in August for me.
Those insoles bruised my heels so badly that I went to the doc and had them looked at. Deep bruising in the heels was painful. And 2 weeks before guide season started.
Put the super feet insoles back in my boots and endured the pain which then became secondary to the frostbite that occurred. Contacted sheep feet and they refunded me my money. Good on them. For me I need some sort of pad to absorb the shock in my heels.
So 2 pairs of boots and 1pair of insoles in the garbage.
Now I am basically starting over with my feet. Frostbite is a wait and see if all the damage will heal. Could take 2 years or longer. It may never heal. Not much the doctor can do for it. I got the bunion taken care of finally (6 years was too long to wait). That was one of the benefits of this process for now.
Sorry about your misfortune. Boots and insoles are a vast sea of opinions and experience. As with most, I have walked many uncountable miles in different boots. Some amazingly happy, comfortable feet miles and some not so happy hahah. I have tried many types and styles and given them all fair shakes but have always migrated back to a boot that seemed to just work for me. That being said, feet change. I too have been through some changes in which my "go to" boot for years is now being considered as unfavorable. I have custom inserts made by a podiatrist. Are they awesome, no. They are actually not awesome at all but they are necessary. I guess what I'm getting at is that im no longer at a point in my life where I think my feet are going to be as happy as they once were. It sucks very bad but I think the goal of finding a new boot/insole is now back to the trial and error phase or just enduring a level of acceptable or moderate comfort. I'm interested in the suflggestions here. I always considered L&S....