Body die or full length sizing die to bump shoulder .002

I load for 2 300 WBY's, x2 fired case measure 2.393 and 2.394 measured with a .420 Hornady comparator. With my current die a hard cam sized case measures 2.375 for a .019 shoulder bump. My last batch of new WBY brass avg measured 2.373 so this die is darn close to factory spec as would be expected. I have the die set at 3.5 thousands now as these are rounds loaded for hunting and I like 3.5 to 4 thou for a little clearance. I'm using a Co-Ax press and don't have to cam the press to get my bump. You could be having a brass issue or maybe your chamber and die specs aren't compatible. If you have been loading for this rifle for a while and now are having problems I would start looking at the brass. On a side note, looks like Peterson is building Weatherby brass! I'm trying to find somewhere to order it.

I load for 2 300 WBY's, x2 fired case measure 2.393 and 2.394 measured with a .420 Hornady comparator. With my current die a hard cam sized case measures 2.375 for a .019 shoulder bump. My last batch of new WBY brass avg measured 2.373 so this die is darn close to factory spec as would be expected. I have the die set at 3.5 thousands now as these are rounds loaded for hunting and I like 3.5 to 4 thou for a little clearance. I'm using a Co-Ax press and don't have to cam the press to get my bump. You could be having a brass issue or maybe your chamber and die specs aren't compatible. If you have been loading for this rifle for a while and now are having problems I would start looking at the brass. On a side note, looks like Peterson is building Weatherby brass! I'm trying to find somewhere to order it.
You check out Broz you tube process and it controls the bump to your chamber and die.

I load for quite a few Weatherby's.
I have found that the radius shoulder is harder to size and bounces back more than a conventional shoulder, even those of an AI.
You need to hover with the ram at the top of the stroke, I count for 5-8 seconds.
I don't why, but the Weatherby's tend to elongate more than non-Weatherby cases and this puts more stress on the press linkage which is why the shoulder position can vary so much.

Cheers.
That was an awesome explanation I have an Weatherby and have not tried to bump the shoulders but may now I have read this

DavidleeCole I use bushing dies and have no problem with non weatherby cases.
223,308,30-06,358 win,270 easy as pie to bump shoulders back .002 but as Magnum Maniac said the weatherby's require more force due to the radius on that weatherby shoulder.300 win mag has given me problems a bit also.
I will order a body die for the weatherby all others will get set back on regular bushing dies.

Graf & Son have Peterson Brass. I you go to Peterson Brass and click on the brass you are looking for it will send you to Graf & Son. You can place an order, but you are tied in, or you can wish list it. Their prices are inline. I have gotten 300WM, cases from them.

Graf & Son have Peterson Brass. I you go to Peterson Brass and click on the brass you are looking for it will send you to Graf & Son. You can place an order, but you are tied in, or you can wish list it. Their prices are inline. I have gotten 300WM, cases from them.
Yep I'm on the list at Grafs, watching Eurooptics also.

The problem is we all are running around like chicken with it head cut off. I can't remember if it was Nosler or Norma that came out with some brass for a rifle that I am having built. Through Midway they ran the price up to $2.00 per case. Not only NO, but *ell NO!

Last edited:
So if I want to bump shoulders should I get a custom set of dies or will competition dies work as well?
Unless you are shooting precision LR, the custom dies really aren't necessary, nice to have, but they may not increase your rifles accuracy.
For everyday hunting rifles, I like Redding Deluxe 3 die sets and their Comp seater. I know this makes the seater in the above set redundant, but it's the cheapest option.
You can go bushing dies too, up to you.

Cheers.

As I read the ideas I remember that I did not have this problem with Norma brass.
I have new unopened box of Norma brass under my bench and will try them.
After a couple of firings and annealing the R P Brass may work but only once fired may be too much for the weatherby radius.
I'll report in a few days.

By the way does anyone know if brand new brass comes annealed?
If not that may be my problem.I only had a few rounds that I have shot and trying to bump my shoulders back .002 on fired brass but I anneal every other times fired so maybe I should anneal my new brass before I shoot it to see if it softens up a bit.
Sound reasonable?

By the way does anyone know if brand new brass comes annealed?
If not that may be my problem.I only had a few rounds that I have shot and trying to bump my shoulders back .002 on fired brass but I anneal every other times fired so maybe I should anneal my new brass before I shoot it to see if it softens up a bit.
Sound reasonable?
I believe new brass is annealed. Most manufactures polish out the discoloration. Lapua does not.