Black Bear Hunting, 2017

Thats the one i have in 375 Ruger. Its a fantastic gun for the money and it shoots lights out with quite a few bullets and loads without much work at all. Id highly recommend.

Many people think the green laminate is ugly. The way it shoots and handles monstrous loads with ease, it grows on a person rather quickly. Not that i wasnt fond of it from the start;)

Many people think the green laminate is ugly. The way it shoots and handles monstrous loads with ease, it grows on a person rather quickly. Not that i wasnt fond of it from the start;)

I'm an old Elmer Keith throwback type that believes in "pretty is as pretty does"! :D
You are never over gunned hunting bear! I lost a friend to a male black bear so NEVER under estimate them.

Very sorry to hear that. Having been on the menu this past spring, i gotta say that woulda been the loneliest place on the planet if i wasnt carrying my 10mm. No one was coming to help. A blackie is so many times stronger and faster than us and equipped with all the tools for mayhem, we dont stand a chance on equal ground. Again, sorry for your friend.

Thanks, toecutter, if he had been a hunter like me he would still be alive or if he would have called me for help. The bear was a male habituated to garbage because people refused to secure their garbage at their cabins. He worked keeping the trails open and clear for the tourists in Colorado. He had never hunted a day in his life. The bear kept coming around his small trailer to the point he started sleeping on the roof. He borrowed a gun but he really was not familiar with firearms. I on the other hand am an expert. The bear came in on him while he was cooking his supper the Wardens and Park Rangers figured out later. He was able to get off one shot but only grazed the bear who killed and fed on him for two days before he was found and the Game Wardens killed it. It was not sick, injured, but it was a little under weight they said for its estimated age.

Aww ----, the truth of the matter just makes that cut deeper.

And yet I don't blame the bear. I blame the lazy humans that refused to get off their butts to secure their bear proof trash cans! I love to watch wildlife including bears as I find them more honest than humans when you learn there behavior. They tell you what they intend to do if you are smart enough to learn their language.

Actually the taxidermy is not done yet. Thats a whole new story, and not nearly as good of one as the hunt was. My Taxidermist sent the cape for tanning, his tanner had it for 9 months before going out of business, forcing me to start at the back of a new tanners line.

My Guide Gun will maintain about .6moa out to 200yds and .7moa @ 300yds shooting a Barnes 270 TSX with enough RE 15 or RE17 to run at 2,700 ft/sec.

It will shoot about the same with the Nosler 260 Partition at 2,600 ft/sec. I took a buffalo with the Partition and found picture-perfect expansion on both bullets that traveled through broadside and were caught in the off-side hide. The buffalo died when he felt like it. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.