Black Bear Hunting, 2017

...Which .44 are you playing with?

Mine is a reasonably customized Marlin 1894.
She's off getting all metal parts nitrided right now.
Chopped 17.5" barrel, full length mag tube (hung, not banded), slimmed down forend, refinished wood, tensioned tang screw (for accuracy improvements), Skinner Express Rear Peep and Fiber Optic Front Sight, Decelerator pad, Shortened LOP (To keep compact). When it's all done, she'll be a stunner!

Mine is a reasonably customized Marlin 1894.
She's off getting all metal parts nitrided right now.
Chopped 17.5" barrel, full length mag tube (hung, not banded), slimmed down forend, refinished wood, tensioned tang screw (for accuracy improvements), Skinner Express Rear Peep and Fiber Optic Front Sight, Decelerator pad, Shortened LOP (To keep compact). When it's all done, she'll be a stunner!

I have 1894 also. Been loading XTP with H110. Skinner peep sight with there front site. I would rather a fiber. Are you using their fiber or someone elses? Not sure I like the blade with peep, would rather a dot to center.

Not familar with tensiontang screw, or hanging the tube. Shortened LOP?

I have thought about chopping, but I like having 10. Not for hunting, but it is for around the camp too. I just put a medium loop on it.

....... Shortened LOP?.......

Length of pull. Cutting the stock down.

I just did this with a 17HMR. Cut it to 10", for the kids. The only drawback was getting it away from the adults. It has a Burris Fast Fire on it, and even 4 year olds hammer balloons with it.

I have a rail on my 96/44, and was using the Burris on it. Looking to upgrade at some point.

I have 1894 also. Been loading XTP with H110. Skinner peep sight with there front site. I would rather a fiber. Are you using their fiber or someone elses? Not sure I like the blade with peep, would rather a dot to center.

Not familar with tensiontang screw, or hanging the tube. Shortened LOP?

I have thought about chopping, but I like having 10. Not for hunting, but it is for around the camp too. I just put a medium loop on it.

Here's a link to the front sites Skinner offers. Close to the bottom there's a fiber optic dot which slides in on the factory ramp.
Front Sights

To check out what a mag tube that's hung without bands looks like, check out the Marlin 1895 GBL. There's no barrel bands on that rifle.

One more thing... my rifle holds 9 rounds

I think I would like a dot, but then you can't file it. I may try painting white, with an orange tip.

I can't rememeber if mine in 9+1 or 10+1, I though 10.

What year is yours? First I bough a 2012 I think, it had lots of problems. They finally gave me a new rifle. Which seems very nice. I tend to think they are past their growing pains.

I put ona Ranger medium loop. Like the size. Didn't like the paint like finish. Not blue. I had to do a great deal of filing. The stock had angles that it didnt have. Besides cutting it back. They are the cheapest.

I'd consider muleloops, and waiting , so I could have my stock lever, welded bigger.

Im going on my first black bear hunt this year. Im going to Hell's Canyon Oregon.

Im taking a SCAR 17 308. I already have a great load worked up with the 168gr AMAX's, and I question if I need to get a load worked out with more of a hunting bullet. The AMAX's flat shoot with this gun. Ive done a 5 shot group at 800 yards of 6 inch's, but 10 inch's is more of the norm with it at 800. I know I can put the AMAX in the boiler room, but accuracy is final as they say. I wont shoot a bear past a few hundred yards.

Thoughts?

I don't think Hornady markets the Amax for hunting, but rather target shootong.

I don't think Hornady markets the Amax for hunting, but rather target shootong.

They dont market it for hunting, but that doesnt mean it wont kill something does it? (asking not being a smart ***). I know I have killed pronghorn, coyote with 140gr 6.5 Amax's with no issues what so ever, but Im new to the bear woods.

They dont market it for hunting, but that doesnt mean it wont kill something does it? (asking not being a smart ***). I know I have killed pronghorn, coyote with 140gr 6.5 Amax's with no issues what so ever, but Im new to the bear woods.
Means its probably a poor choice. In my opinion.

Target bullets are not the same as bullets designed to expland and kill. They are just meant to be accurate.

The jackets are too thin on the A-max for consistent penetration. When Hornady first released them they noted them as not for hunting. You can get away with them on thin skinned game but I would be leery of them on thick skinned game, especially ones that fight back.

And yes, I've killed several deer with A-Max before switching away from using them to hunt. None fully penetrated and only pieces were found. Use what you want but I would look for something with a bit heavier jacket construction.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.