Bipods for Hunting

chesspunker

I'm not happy with the Harris bipods that I put on my rifle. They are hard to front load and have a tendency to hop around on me when I shoot my 7 MM WBY. What are the best bipods for long range hunting? I'm looking for something light and easy to front load to prevent hopping.

I saw a young man pull out his knife and dig a small hole for each leg when they needed an extra bite.
I don't use my knife but while hunting I'll scrub the ground a few times with my bipod to settle in the feet and to get down to firmer soil.

I'm not happy with the Harris bipods that I put on my rifle. They are hard to front load and have a tendency to hop around on me when I shoot my 7 MM WBY. What are the best bipods for long range hunting? I'm looking for something light and easy to front load to prevent hopping.

So...i was taught that any hop usually has to do with technique, and you are trying to muscle or torque the gun into position instead of just acting as dead weight directly behind it. I am not a shooting instructor by any means, but when I was having issues with hop it was because of the way I was laying behind the rifle. Once I cleaned that up the hop went away. I use harris bipods exclusively.

Also, I was told the purpose of loading the bipod was to take up any slack, usually harris's don't have much slack, so the need to load doesn't exist...could be a bunch of nonsense from an older guy at the range I was shooting at, but it has worked for me.

Any recommendations (other than Harris) for a good, lightweight bipod that attaches easily to a swivel stud? Seems like a lot of the nicer ones, like Atlas, all use a rail attachment.

Thanks for pointing that out, Carl-- I was hoping to find a solution that didn't involve adding a rail attachment, but that one actually looks nicer than any of the others I've seen. I might give it a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.