best production rifle out there

Ccctennis,
If the $1200 price range of the Montana Extreme 2 is per swaying your decision, I would also look at the Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather for the same price. The Winchester is lighter, fluted barrel and better stock IMO.

I own a Gunwerks RevX in 7mm REm Mag, shoots great, I killed a bull elk in Colorado at 489 yards with it. I got mine from Reed's/Northern off gunbroker for $3200, there's one on GB for a buy it now for $3K. I own a Cooper 52 Excaliber in 30-06, shoots iffy and the mag really rattles, I'm not giving up on it. I'm an east coast guy and would sit in a tree stand with the Cooper but would never haul it around out west. I had a Kimber Montana in 7-08 that shot Barnes Vor Tex 120 TTSX's into tiny groups, I traded it for a Ruger Carbine in 358, I could never get used to how light it was.

I have a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor, I haven't shot it yet. Take a look at a Weatherby Ultralight in 06, perfect sheep carry weight. I have a pair of Sako Tecomate's in 270 WSM and 300 WSM that I would think are about perfect for sheep rifles. Good luck!

Not having ever had any of the guns listed here I have to go with what I do have.Remington's.I have a 280 and 25-06 that shoot's 1/2 inch groups at 300 yards.A 300 RUM that shoot inch groups at 500 meters I took my 35 Whelen and loaded up rounds from 200gr to 250 gr 5 bullet weight's 5 round of each.Shot them at the same target . 1 1/4 inch group of 25 rounds.My 338 will one them at 100 meters.All of these are stock rifle's except the triggers have been lightened a little .My 3006 pump will shot dime size groups .Someday if I ever have the chance to shoot some of these other guns I might rethink this .

You should apply in every State Lottery. When you win in every State, I'll believe your Remington tales also.

morning, I for 1 used Rem. 721 and Weatherby german actions,
steel bottom metal, timmey match triggers, H&S match combat stocks, Warne steel rings and mounts, kercote sniper gray finish, Nikon Monach Scopes, Hart
custom match SS barrels. I name the contourand twist of the barrel.
I buy all of the mentioned components. take them to my smithy in
Hempstead, TX, have him build the rifles Mike just built me a custom 7mm
weatherby #6 contour barrel. I have very factory made rifles.
GBOT TUM Life member NRA, TSRA and OKLA.NRA.
If a member wants very good info Barrelnut is a very knowledgeable
member. DR. Vette has good info on Weatherby's

READ READ READ--SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT

trying to figure out how to make the most of my dollars spent!

trying to figure out a semi-custom hunting rig. medium to light weight. but with sub moa accuracy out the box. i do reload but would like it to still be decent with factory ammo

$2500-$2800

Depending on your personal choice of components, you can have a full custom rifle ... just a thought for your consideration.

Good luck!

Depending on your personal choice of components, you can have a full custom rifle ... just a thought for your consideration.

Good luck!
I said the same thing and heard crickets. Stiller action, bartlein or similar barrel, timney trigger, decent stock, great gunsmith 2800.00.

thanks guys for the feedback. i don't have any good gunsmiths near me that can build me one. i do love to reload and just want to stop playing the cheap gun lottery. what i mean is that i have purchased 20-25 rifles over the past 4-5 years. half shoot awesome. half are now gone because they were not good. i have thinned out the herd and sold 8 rifles this past few months. saving up for south africa. i do want a medium to light weight. semi custom all weather rifle that shoots sub moa. i'm leaning towards a fierce or a montana rifle.

Perhaps more crickets with real world hands on experience (and there are plenty in here) need to sound off.:D

Let's do some math:
Pierce or Stiller action $1000
Stainless barrel blank from a good manufacturer $350
Triggertech trigger $170
Good stock mcmillan, manners with pillars $650
Bdl bottom metal $160 (Hawkins)
Parts = $2330
Gunsmithing costs:
Thread and chamber standard calibers $250
Cerakote $175
Shipping $50
Total gunsmithing =$475
Total $2805 that's with no bedding job or muzzle brake.

Semi custom my vote right now would for one the Christensen Arms or Seekins. Recently acquired a CA Carbon Classic on here and it is definitely sub moa, excellent fit and finish, nice weight and muzzle brake. Another that I will own soon is the Seekins Havak. Cabelas has them spiral fluted barrel (not crazy about "spiral"), threaded stainless barrel and McMillan Game Warden stock. Also consider Sako A7 stainless LR. Put a Vais brake on mine and nice carry rifle shoots 1/2 moa all day with hand loads.

It would be pretty hard for me to suggest anyone purchases a Remington after how they've handled their trigger recall. Once a company loses my trust it will be near impossible to get it back. I know they are an "American gun company" and many don't want to say anything but covering up such an egregious safety issue is enough to never use them or suggest them again.
I have sold close to 2000 Remington 700's and have never had one come back with any trigger problem's that was Remington fault 'I have had people try to adjust the trigger and screwed it up. Until I have to deal with any I will suggest them to people

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.