Your favorite production rifle

ARlife4me

Talk about your fav production rifle and what you don't like about it or what you would change. Or why you favor 1 over the other (like rem700 over another model)? It doesn't matter if it's an AR or BA rifle.

I've shot my Dad's rem700's and mod70's when I was growing up, but I never bought a 700 or rem for that fact. I did love the mod70 pre64 and has still been my favorite gun ever since. Fastforward 30+ years later. I bought a savage110 in 300wm (ba/le model 26" barrel). This gun is accurate with HSM w/210 berger vld-h. What I don't like is the trigger! Not the pull or the break, just the accu-trigger itself! I'm not a fan of those at all! Now I have 2 more 110's and still haven't come to terms with the trigger at all! I don't like having to reset/recock the bolt when not fully pulling the trigger. BTW does anyone know where I can get a GOOD aftermarket trigger for it? Timney doesn't seem to be a good choice and my googlefu isn't helping. I also bought a post64 in 264wm that isn't near as good as the pre. Can't beat a controlled feed/fed! My 3rd rifle is a BLR in 270win that's smooth as glass for an action. What I don't like are the mags! Insert and eject work great if the action is open, but a pita when closed. Doesn't matter if the mag is empty or full.

Being a lefty, I gave up on production rifles long ago. It became a very expensive journey.

Step 1: Buy rifle
Step 2: Throw away everything except barreled action
Step 3: Replace everything except barreled action
Step 4: Hope to god the factory barrel shoots to my standards
Step 5: Realized a custom build is just as cost effective & with higher quality components.
Step 6: Stop buying production rifles 🤣

As far as replacing the trigger on your 110. I have a couple Rifle Basix triggers & won't complain about them. They aren't Trigger Tech's by any means, but functional & usable.

It's always interesting to hear different perspectives. I've never had an issue with my Accu-Triggers. I like them just fine, after getting used to them of course.

t

Talk about your fav production rifle and what you don't like about it or what you would change. Or why you favor 1 over the other (like rem700 over another model)? It doesn't matter if it's an AR or BA rifle.

I've shot my Dad's rem700's and mod70's when I was growing up, but I never bought a 700 or rem for that fact. I did love the mod70 pre64 and has still been my favorite gun ever since. Fastforward 30+ years later. I bought a savage110 in 300wm (ba/le model 26" barrel). This gun is accurate with HSM w/210 berger vld-h. What I don't like is the trigger! Not the pull or the break, just the accu-trigger itself! I'm not a fan of those at all! Now I have 2 more 110's and still haven't come to terms with the trigger at all! I don't like having to reset/recock the bolt when not fully pulling the trigger. BTW does anyone know where I can get a GOOD aftermarket trigger for it? Timney doesn't seem to be a good choice and my googlefu isn't helping. I also bought a post64 in 264wm that isn't near as good as the pre. Can't beat a controlled feed/fed! My 3rd rifle is a BLR in 270win that's smooth as glass for an action. What I don't like are the mags! Insert and eject work great if the action is open, but a pita when closed. Doesn't matter if the mag is empty or full.

With my admittedly limited personal experiences……a New Haven Winchester Model 70. It would be the SS models….though, likely with a stock upgrade. It is my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong……the Winchester SS Model 70's where the "only" rifles produced in that era that were "All Stainless, every pin, spring, ect. memtb

Count me in as a tikka fan boi. Had savages - didn't like the mushy trigger and sloppy action. Don't mind rem 700, but most guys upgrade the trigger and do so much work to the action that it sort of becomes counter intuitive to buying a custom. Tikka's, to me, are good out of the box for the most part. Actions are bullet proof and smooth as can be, triggers are crisp. Thread the barrel and upgrade the stock on a tikka, and you have yourselves a hell of a rifle. The only thing I would change is having the option to open the action with the safety on - maybe like a sako with the button.

Browning X-Bolt

What I would change Browning has proactively done, discontinue Duratouch, faster twists, better stocks and a bunch to choose from, really liking this newest offering.

My next X-Bolt

22EBE6BF-5BD0-478B-A7F5-A243AC76D4BE.png

Without hesitation: Browning X-Bolt

I have owned many, many bolt actions in life. The X-Bolt is tops for ME and my preferences in a factory gun.

Bolt lock/unlock
60- degree bolt throw
Smooth action
Very nice recoil pad
ACCURATE
Nice fitting stock for my needs
Four 8mm scope base mounting screws
Nicely finished bore
Nice fit and finish
Thumb (tang) safety

Have had and still own several X-Bolts. Actually prefer them over my custom.

Last edited:
I have two factory guns that I flat enjoy hunting with. The first is a Remington LSS 280. It's a tack driver and has taken lots of whitetails and some mulies. The other is a Remington CDL-SF in 300 WM. Love shooting this one too. Another that has taken several mule deer and hogs.

My Dad bought a Fabrique Nationale in .270 about 40 years ago at a police auction in Houston. (yes they used to have those) He said he had seen one in Austria when he was overseas in the post WWII period. IMO, it is the most balanced and smoothest rifle I have ever handled, and that has been quite a few over the years. Also the stock is something amazing to see. Very beautiful wood and some very intricate checkering and engraving. Shoots most factory 130 grain ammo to about 3/4". Certainly not a new race horse caliber in a titanium chassis, but very much old school cool factory production rifle.
The FN is in my gun safe, dressed exactly as he had it, and likely will be there when I am gone. I take it out now and then to the deer woods and kill something, my Dad would be proud. I always had to sight his rifle, he hated target shooting, but we hunted over 25 years together in the Trans-Pecos in a high rack truck after mulies and I never saw him miss a deer.