Your favorite production rifle

"The rifleman's rifle," Pre-64 Winchester model 70 Featherweight 25-06. It was dads gun when I was a kid, He had it in an antique glass gun case in his bedroom. That Daisy Red Rider BB gun took second place. I own several model 70's now but my absolute favorite is my pre 64 super grade 220 Swift, passed down to me which is a safe queen.

My all-time favorite production is my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight rifle. 5 and 3/4 pounds with a 24inch S/S Krieger Barrel, Really nice Weatherby Trigger, on a trimmed down 240 Weatherby Mark V action. The rifle has such a nice balance, and chambered in 270 Win, it instantly became my favorite Deer Rifle. I had the stock Hydro Dipped for no good reason, just because I cant help messing with stuff.

Attachments

• 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
I was not blessed with a family that hunted so I had to figure out a way to buy my own. There were many yards cut and hay bales slung and stacked to buy my first gun. It was a Remington 1100 shotgun. Not long after that it was a Savage 110 in 30 06. Browning was always my holy grail rifle when I was young. I bought an A-Bolt in 30 06 and a BAR in 7RM after hitting the work force. They served me well for 20-30 years. I got tired of hauling heavy rifles deep into the deer woods and picked up a X-Bolt HC Speed in 308 Win. It is still my go to eastern deer rifle. Other than the trigger, it is just a great rifle to shoot and haul around in the woods.

Another vote for a tikka, in my experience just as accurate as a savage but the action is so much smoother. My only complaint with my t3x super light is barrel diameter makes it tricky to thread for a can, but that's kind my fault for buying a fluted barrel.

Usually if the accutrigger is causing you to re-cock its due to not properly deploying the trigger. The safety sear is there to prevent side force, unintentional firing, and it works. I have to help many folks out with the ruger and savage on proper trigger control.

Having said that, rifle basix makes a drop in trigger that works very well. I have installed a pile of those.

My favorite would have to be the Colt Sauer. I have a friend that has them in 270, 7mag, 300Win, and 338Win. I get to load for them so shoot them for work-up. They are all stock, unchanged from the factory and they are amazing. Decades old and world traveled, they still look amazing and shoot very small groups. All wood stocks that seem to look better the more battle scars they accumulate, decent triggers, butter smooth actions, and well balanced.

Blaser K95. Lights out accuracy in a tiny lightweight package. Breaks down to fit into your backpack in seconds. Scope mounting system is fast enough for removal and reliable so still hunting with iron sights in dark timber is possible while shot opportunities past 100yrds can leverage optics. It's switch barrel. I've got 30-06 for elk/bear, 6.5 Swede for deer/antelope and 22 hornet for fun. Trigger is the best I've felt. The safety is infallible. Not a sear block, the firing pin is not cocked and has no spring pressure until off safety. No way possible that dropping, or mishandling the gun in any way while loaded that it could go off.

What I don't like: cost. New or used you're gonna pay 5k or more. Barrel limitations: you've got limited calibers and no control over twist. Barrel cost: eye watering. They are hammer forged and hardened, this is excellent for durability and longevity but not for smith work. Finally I don't love the Bavarian stock with the drop comb. It fits me fine but I do prefer straight comb rifles.

95A25FA7-5ACE-4D54-9EC2-529C823037FD.jpeg
DA52582E-EC2A-48BF-852C-B186FAFEE877.jpeg

Big Rem 700 fan, the X-bolts are grand (have one and experience with several), but the winner for me is my first big game rifle. One my parents gave me - a gorgeous blonde Husqvarna .308 (Smith&Wesson stamped) 1 hole rifle with 150, 165 and/or 180gr. Shot a feeding gobbler's head off once at 168yds

If Gunwerks could count, it'd be my Magnus 7-LRM...absolutely love that setup. Also have had good success with Tikka and Sako. And out of 5 Christensen's they all shot very well, though some were a little picky till we got the right load configuration.