Best Hunting Caliber that Fits a Short Action??

7 SAUM, it's almost the perfect cartridge and has tons of good components available.
THIS,. For,.. Elk ^^^^ and, a 6.5 Creed, for,.. Deer / Antelope/ Wolves / Yotes and,. Steel Plates, as Far as, you can, See Them ,.. DONE !
And, an Antelope "Killer Supreme" to, well OVER,.. 1,500 Yards ! ( If, Lucky and / or, If, you can "Read, the Wind",.. exactly,.. "right" ! )

Last edited:
THIS,. For,.. Elk ^^^^ and, a 6.5 Creed, for,.. Deer / Antelope/ Wolves / Yotes and,. Steel Plates, as Far as, you can, See Them ,.. DONE !
And, an Antelope "Killer Supreme" to, well OVER,.. 1,500 Yards ! ( If, Lucky and / or, If, you can "Read, the Wind",.. exactly,.. "right" ! )
Had to throw that out there and start trouble, didn't ya ? 😂

IF, I could Still Walk, 5 Miles into, the knarly "Back Country" ( AND get back to, the Truck ! ) for, Elk,.
I'd build, a 7 SAUM,.. in a New York Minute !
With, a 4 X 16 Zeiss, it would Be Good for, in the Timber, CLOSE, Out to,. 1,000 yards, Using,.. 175 gr. Berger, Elite Hunters.

Last edited:
I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor for NRL Hunter on a TL3 action. I would like one rifle that I can use for hunting and matches. Obviously 6.5 Creedmoor is not the ideal hunting cartridge. With the TL3 I can easily switch barrels, so trying to decide on a long range hunting caliber for a second barrel that will fit a short action. Looking at 6.5 PRC, 7 SS, 7 SAUM. I know short action is going to limit the performance on the 6.5 PRC and 7 SAUM. 800 yards is really my max range I would shoot hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
What did you decide on? My choice would be the PRC.

The only difference in a creed and a prc is the distance you hit the velocity threshold with the given bullet since it's usually the same bullet.

If that distance extension is needed then you pay for it in ammo cost, barrel life, and recoil.

It's a pretty on the nose calculation, you need it or you don't.

if you stay with the 6.5 Creedmoor and have the same bolt head, the 300 WSM a good elk round and uses the same bolt head