Best caliber for hunting - WHAT?..........

2MOA in 100 yards (even with mild-mid wind) should be a basic requirement and easy to achieve. So I agree with:

If a hunter can not keep 5 shots in a 2 inch circle (or smaller) at 100 yards, he should NOT be hunting live game.

Even though I can do a lot better than that personally, I'm glad it's not up to you who is allowed to hunt.
2MOA in 100 yards (even with mild-mid wind) should be a basic requirement and easy to achieve. So I agree with:

If a hunter can not keep 5 shots in a 2 inch circle (or smaller) at 100 yards, he should NOT be hunting live game.

The way I read it, "should not be hunting" is a statement of ethics, not the same as should not be allowed to hunt. Everyone has their own metric for what shot they will not take as a matter of ethics. What should that metric be?

Deer Popcorn GIF
Ed you're sleeping on the job ;)

I get so tired of the WISDOM of my own opinion regarding which caliber is THE BEST ELK rifle, or WHITE TAIL, or Black Bear. It is all BS. The discussion SHOULD BE, how precise or accurate should I be on paper before I try to kill my game. I see way to many shooters in August at the range happy being able to hit a 1 foot square target, or bigger. Makes me shudder.

Now here comes my opinion. If a hunter can not keep 5 shots in a 2 inch circle (or smaller) at 100 yards, he should NOT be hunting live game.
Yet another ethics argument? I thought we moved on from that years and years ago.

This is not a discussion for LRH. Take it to a libtards forum where you'll get a lot of support.

In some far off & foreign lands, like possibly Germany, hunters are required to submit to a shooting skills test. Forests and hunting activities are strictly regulated (fish & feathers or conservation enforcement) carefully observing hunting activities, occasionally using watch towers. Fines & penalties are tough. Apparent reasons are safety & preservation of pristine & groomed forests & game resources.

Driver's licensing makes distinctions between operation of a 250 K per hour BMW or a 167 K per hour VW.

I only shoot rodents and regard 2 MOA accuracy as unacceptable & like velocities close to 4,000 fps .

Should I need to be qualified to use a 4,000 fps weapon?

Last edited:
Honest question. Not ethics, but when I was growing up shooting it was a 3 shot group and you had to make the first one count. Since when is it now a 5 shot group? I have never used more than two shots to bring down any game…except one bear…he was moaning dead, but I wanted it quicker.

Honest question. Not ethics, but when I was growing up shooting it was a 3 shot group and you had to make the first one count. Since when is it now a 5 shot group? I have never used more than two shots to bring down any game…except one bear…he was moaning dead, but I wanted it quicker.
It's pretty much because most people on here are not all about hunting but mostly about building custom rifles, reloading, shooting and guns in general. Hunting has become secondary to shooting and the equipment for it.

I'm not judging because I love so shoot and load and don't get to hunt as much as I used to but I try to limit discussions about accuracy minutia to a minimum in order to preserve the original focus of LONG RANGE HUNTING.

I've been on forums since Al Gore invented the internet and inevitably hunting forums end up mostly being taken over by people that primarily focus on teeny tiny 5 or more shot groups and the equipment and loading to achieve that to the exclusion of hunting and they tend to judge anyone that dares to post 3 shot groups results with the mantra that only 5 shot groups count and that couldn't be farther from the truth for hunters.

It's pretty much because most people on here are not all about hunting but mostly about building custom rifles, reloading, shooting and guns in general. Hunting has become secondary to shooting and the equipment for it.

I'm not judging because I love so shoot and load and don't get to hunt as much as I used to but I try to limit discussions about accuracy minutia to a minimum in order to preserve the original focus of LONG RANGE HUNTING.

I've been on forums since Al Gore invented the internet and inevitably hunting forums end up mostly being taken over by people that primarily focus on teeny tiny 5 or more shot groups and the equipment and loading to achieve that to the exclusion of hunting and they tend to judge anyone that dares to post 3 shot groups results with the mantra that only 5 shot groups count and that couldn't be farther from the truth for hunters.
"Al Gore" baaaaahahahahhaha