Berger Hybrid Target Bullets

purchased a Gunwerks nexus in 7mm prc. Its a very nice gun. I ordered some hunting bullets for it through Gunwerks. They sent Berger 180 gr Hybrid Target bullets. When I asked them about using the Target Bullets for hunting they said they actually work better because they are more accurate. Any thoughts on this. Im nervous to take a chance on big game with these. Berger bullets advises against it.

There isn't a more accurate 7mm factory made bullet than a Berger 180hybrid.

Following this one. My brother is a fan of Berger Hunting bullets. Observing animals he's shot, I'm not. They tear up too much meat. He says he's heard the target bullets don't do as much meat damage.
Bergers are fragmenting bullets by design—they dump massive energy on impact, unlike the traditional bullet that most are accustomed to.

One of the attributes that I like about the Berger bullets is that they do not have to have a pass-through to be effective, thus reducing the injuring/killing of what is behind the target. Since I transitioned to Bergers in early 2000, I stopped worrying about pass-throughs and weight retention.

Shot placement remains the key. If the game has room to run, I go for the boiler room shot. If not, I go for the high-shoulder shot. In either case, none have traveled far, and meat damage is minimal. Berger bullets are not for everybody.

Bergers are fragmenting bullets by design—they dump massive energy on impact, unlike the traditional bullet that most are accustomed to.

One of the attributes that I like about the Berger bullets is that they do not have to have a pass-through to be effective, thus reducing the injuring/killing of what is behind the target. Since I transitioned to Bergers in early 2000, I stopped worrying about pass-throughs and weight retention.

Shot placement remains the key. If the game has room to run, I go for the boiler room shot. If not, I go for the high-shoulder shot. In either case, none have traveled far, and meat damage is minimal. Berger bullets are not for everybody.

As mentioned "shot placement" is the key. Translation…don't hit a heavy bone like in the shoulder (knuckle) of an elk. All that energy is an explosion on impact with little to no penetration. My experience anyway.

20221104_094942.jpg

I've posted this before. 180 Hybrid broke both shoulders of a bull at about 300 yards and found just under the skin on the far side. They simply work great.

Fudds will cry BS and tell you that Bergers just bounce off the T1 armor plate that elk wear.

As mentioned "shot placement" is the key. Translation…don't hit a heavy bone like in the shoulder (knuckle) of an elk. All that energy is an explosion on impact with little to no penetration. My experience anyway.
Rick is definitely correct in this statement. They are not really made to go through a large bone. I always shoot for the heart lung area and as stated have had great success. Hitting a large buck or elks shoulder might create a serious issue with recovery.

Ive got a great 7PRC load with 190LRHT to use this season.
For deer I expect great things. Surely I'll get some impressive pass-throughs in the rib cage fairly often. We will see. I intend to use shoulder shots also.
Mature boar hogs will tell the tale. If there is a limit, that density and anatomy will find it.

purchased a Gunwerks nexus in 7mm prc. Its a very nice gun. I ordered some hunting bullets for it through Gunwerks. They sent Berger 180 gr Hybrid Target bullets. When I asked them about using the Target Bullets for hunting they said they actually work better because they are more accurate. Any thoughts on this. Im nervous to take a chance on big game with these. Berger bullets advises against it.
The otm bullets don't expand quite as much as the hunting types. They do expand some. Some more than others. Whatever type used, the key is to keep your speed up. Yes they will put down most all they hit. But is there a cost? Animal suffering or trecking miles?? I've had to track down several deer over the years when I use to use target or surplus fmj bullets. I always found them to drill a hole straight through. Personally, in the past 25 years or so, only use hunting bullets for hunting. Bullet construction has really evolved in purpose built hunting bullets. I rely on the expansion designed-in to ensure drt. But thats just me. Obviously, a well placed shot and consideration of bullet performance/limitations are required in every case. As others have stated, companies reccomend only hunting bullets probably due to advertising/liability. Your milage may vary.

I think when people say shoulder they typically mean the blade. That is a whole different animal than the knuckle that Rick is referring to. The spot where the leg bone meets the shoulder. It is a small spot but it sits directly opposite the " pocket" that most chest shooters aim for. I have driven broad-heads through deer shoulders but hit that knuckle and it's game over.

20221001_103057.jpg

How bout this bull? Shot at 10 feet through both front shoulders and bullet exited. Elk aren't bulletproof at any range, put down the hunting magazines and see for yourself.