Bear protection handguns?

WOW !
The 400gr @ 1500fps from your S&W 460 would be like a .45-70 , in your hands , without a stock against your shoulder .
Also , not as heavy as a rifle .

It does "jump a mite"! I'm fairly tolerant of recoil….I'm running 430 Cast from my Marlin GG 45-70 @ 1800 mv. It's pretty tame as compared to my hunting rifle! I've never been hunting with the GG yet……maybe, if I know that it will be a "timber only" hunt. memtb

Last edited:
Living in Montana the chance of running into a grizzly is always a possibility.
I pack a Taurus TI 44 mag loaded with Hunting Shack 305 gr hard cast.
I toyed with getting a Glock 20/15 shot,but heard problems with needing to change recoil springs if firing heavy loads!
Decided to stick with the wheel gun,it will go off 6 times for sure!(as long as I can hang on to it)

I will say my 44 felt fairly puny while I was walking the rivers with those monster browns in Katmai and on the Kenai.
Because it is Wil. LOL! Its better than sticking your finger in its eye, or putting a shark to sleep by grabbing its nose.

Take what you like, but the fact remains handguns are tools of convenience, and even black bears (while the .44 kills well) don't generally fall and pose with all 4 feet in the air when shot with one.

I really enjoy watching you stretch that .44, but stay humble with it around big bears.

Because it is Wil. LOL! Its better than sticking your finger in its eye, or putting a shark to sleep by grabbing its nose.

Take what you like, but the fact remains handguns are tools of convenience, and even black bears (while the .44 kills well) don't generally fall and pose with all 4 feet in the air when shot with one.

I really enjoy watching you stretch that .44, but stay humble with it around big bears.
Feels like it's time for a 500 Linebaugh… 😏

HARPERC, I see that you were up pretty late last night! 😁 Me too, after 01:00 hrs before I hit the sheets! ☹️ memtb
Feels like it's time for a 500 Linebaugh… 😏
Always a bit of a night owl. Stayed on nights for decades for that reason.

Your assuming I slept after that, been fighting, and losing some health issues.

Certain things will trigger a grizzly into berserker mode, in which pain or damage mean nothing, only death will stop him. Not all attacks are berserker, but those that are are extremely dangerous.

Unless you see a grizzly go bezerk, you can't appreciate their expression of HATE for anything and anyone that triggered that anger. I once watched it from a 200yd distance with a hunting buddy. My instant comment was, "we just watched what a mauling victim sees, just before they die".

Scene is burnt into my memory. You'd have to have had a worthy firearm in battle position with finger on trigger, to have any chance of surviving.

Always a bit of a night owl. Stayed on nights for decades for that reason.

Your assuming I slept after that, been fighting, and losing some health issues.

Very sorry to hear about your health issues! Praying that you can shake whatever it is, and come back stronger! 🙏

Worked shift work all my life, don't do good on nights…..not a night person. My wife however, just gets stronger after 22:00 hrs. So, I usually stay up with her! ☹️ memtb

Last edited:
The velocity isn't specifically for up close and personal use, it's for flattening the trajectory some for hunting purposes. However, I think in a pinch, it should work pretty well in a defense type scenario.

Recoil isn't too bad, it's very (almost too) heavy. Besides, pain is a constant reminder that you're still alive! 😜 memtb

Sort of "two for one"! 😉 memtb
Brother, got it and I absolutely agree on that one. When I used to take those "Elmer Keith" shots I'd load those things to the max. My Son used to call them my "Wrath of God Reloads". IN cartridges like the .460 S&W with expanding bullets, the extra velocity can be devastating. One of he guys (Tom Gordon) I worked with at S&W took a .460 down to Texas on a cull hunt on whitetail deer. He claimed they were trying to prove the effigy of the .460 before it went into production. I wasn't invited but I saw the video of the dozen or so deer he culled off the ranch and it was amazing. Every deer he shot looked like it was stone dead before it hit the ground. Their legs just folded and they were DRT. It was impressive.

When after these , I prefer my 338 , if no intent to shoot , a mossberg maverick loaded with magnum crush,slugs will stop any land animal on earth, so will the 338.Folds compactly and deploys instantly, I will always be forewarned because when in grizzly country he leads our way.

Attachments

• gb1.jpeg
    gb1.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 20
  • bd.jpg
    bd.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 19
When after these , I prefer my 338 , if no intent to shoot , a mossberg maverick loaded with magnum crush,slugs will stop any land animal on earth, so will the 338.Folds compactly and deploys instantly, I will always be forewarned because when in grizzly country he leads our way.
Just the plain old, boring, vanilla 338 WM!? 😜