Barrel vice ,that came over on the Mayflower?

Powder/shot dipper. The little thumb screw held the knurled insert into the bottom. One insert for shot (short insert) and one insert for powder (longer insert).
Thanks , unscrewed thumb screw and it's adjustable.
38350C40-FCE3-422D-A914-9306379CBA4D.jpeg

Just wondering, not criticizing, in the picture, under the YOUNG ANGLERS caption, looks like 1904 is crossed out and 1922 written over top. Why is that?
Not sure it's hanging in the kitchen up at cabin , my guess is one of family corrected it ?
I also have a bigger copy that I can check,in a week or so to see what it says, but I think the 1922 date is close my friends mother was from Mohawk and according to the marriage certificate,she was married in 1908 , so dates make sense.
Thanks

Not sure it's hanging in the kitchen up at cabin , my guess is one of family corrected it ?
I also have a bigger copy that I can check,in a week or so to see what it says, but I think the 1922 date is close my friends mother was from Mohawk and according to the marriage certificate,she was married in 1908 , so dates make sense.
Thanks
Suits me!

The gunsmiths family bought the house in 1920 , for 350.00
I found a note with a piece of newspaper taped to it ,that said, ( found this newspaper on wall behind wall paper )
,the date on news paper was 1895 .
So the square nuts might have been in the barn from long ago.

Here is a pic of the gunsmiths father, who ran the stage route ,when it was Horses and wagon , up and through when it changed to automobiles.View attachment 352737
So the nuts could have been changed out at some later date. All those wood inserts could very well fit most barrels today if they aren't to brittle. What is information to myself is that touring cars were used as buses or the first taxis. My great grandfather was born in 1874 but his pistols were left in their old barn but someone got to them. They also traveled in wagons until the model t and model A came about but this is getting away from the barrel vice. I ordered a viper vice and the paint is already coming loose. If I get more into prefits I probably will look into a better model. I'm still searching for Rl19, H1000, I looked again in Gunbroker starting to temp. Good human interest info.

Thanks , unscrewed thumb screw and it's adjustable.View attachment 352890
So the nuts could have been changed out at some later date. All those wood inserts could very well fit most barrels today if they aren't to brittle. What is information to myself is that touring cars were used as buses or the first taxis. My great grandfather was born in 1874 but his pistols were left in their old barn but someone got to them. They also traveled in wagons until the model t and model A came about but this is getting away from the barrel vice. I ordered a viper vice and the paint is already coming loose. If I get more into prefits I probably will look into a better model. I'm still searching for Rl19, H1000, I looked again in Gunbroker starting to temp. Good human interest info.
Thanks for the reply, some of my pics are a little off the beaten path , but as long as a few people are interested in the old stuff , I'll try to share some .
Nice story about your great grandfather, mine came from Scotland ,thru Ellis island ,and one of my siblings has his
Pearl handled colt .

Recent Posts