Barrel Thread question

Idahoprc

I have 2 heavy barrel ar's that have been threaded to 5\8x24. I have a suppressor in jail that is 1/2x28. It is not recommended I cut these down for accuracy reasons by the builder. Hughes precision does make this adaptor 5\8x24 to 1\2x28. Has anyone used these adaptors? Any advice against this. Thanks

Don't cut your barrels down. Surprised that you purchased a suppressor in not the size thread of your barrel.
Best thing is to follow the advice or akmtnhnt. Get an adapter from your suppressor manufacture or an adapter from many Retailers on line.
Good luck you shouldn't have any issues. Make sure that you use a GOOD loktite on the threads (not permenant) to prevent the adapter and suppressor from coming lose.
Also make sure of the bullet caliber you are using is compatible with your suppressor.

I have gone the other way a few times, but not down. What suppressor did you purchase? So many now days you can change the mounting system.
I use red lock tite or rockset on all mine. Not much is permanent when they get real hot.

Contact your supplier. Your can is sitting in their vault wait just like you. They might rethread it depending on the style and manufacturer.
Much easier to adapt up rather then down.

All cnc adapters I have used and seen used are concentric. As stated use appropriate thread locker and you are fine.
Keeping muzzles bigger is better. Some bores swell where muzzles are cut down too much. Bigger theeads are better as long as the shoulder is large enough (.050" as a general rule).

Thanks for all the input. This is the banish 223, from silencer central.

Last edited:
I have 2 heavy barrel ar's that have been threaded to 5\8x24. I have a suppressor in jail that is 1/2x28. It is not recommended I cut these down for accuracy reasons by the builder. Hughes precision does make this adaptor 5\8x24 to 1\2x28. Has anyone used these adaptors? Any advice against this. Thanks
What is the suppressor rated for? 30 cal, 338, or 22 cal? Or??. What caliber are your barrels shooting? You might be able to do it depending on the manufacturer recommendation. If your barrels are shooting 223, you probably can. Consider barrel harmonic issues. There may be a decibel penility with an adapter usage. Hmmm...

I would rethread the barrels and be done with it. Saying it will ruin accuracy? I would like to hear more so I could understand why.

Be done with it, get the reducers. Leave the 5/8x24 on the barrels.