Barrel break procedures?

Bcwn

So I gotta ask is there an actual no BS way of breaking in a barrel other than just plain shooting and cleaning? If you don't do XYZ have you just lost some of the potential in your barrel? If you do go through what ever procedure it is do you actually gain any life, or accuracy in your barrel. And if you do have a procedure what is it, and how can you actually prove with practical application that any type of procedure actually did any thing to affect your barrel that just plain old shooting and cleaning wouldn't do.
Brad

I push a few patches through a brand new barrel and just go shoot it... before I knew any better I did the shoot/clean gimmick... I saw absolutely no benefit to breaking in a barrel like that... shoot it until your groups start opening up then clean it... check your velocity as a lot of barrels will speed up after 150 rounds or so...

I shoot 42 rounds in structured sets. I have no idea if it really does anything or not, but my mind is satisfied that I did go through a break-in procedure. My break-in takes around five hours, so I'm never really revved-up to go out there and do it. The first ten take a lot of time; the subsequent sets go faster after that. I'm always a happy camper once it's over and done...

I followed this particular regimen of barrel break-in. Serves me well so far.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-barrel-break-in-and-cleaning-methods.160450/

When Len came out with this post I totally agreed with him and after many non believers I decided to do a test on a new barrel starting with the very first shot. using a good chronograph from the beginning.

The test is self explanatory and proves that Break in is beneficial.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/new-barrel-break-in-and-cleaning-methods.160450/page-2 Look at post # 20 and decide for your selves.

J E CUSTOM

Problem is you can't go back and try something different to the same barrel to see if there was a change. I've got some i spent hours breaking in and others I just shot. Can't tell the difference between them, but they're all quality barrels and one doesn't foul noticeably more than the other. JE's post he linked to is quite interesting, never thought of doing that. May just have to try it on my next barrel to see if it duplicates. Only be a sample of 2 but I'd try it.

With custom barrels I shoot and clean after every shot until the bore quits showing copper, usually less than 10-12 rounds. After each shot it will be noticeably easier to clean. Then I will shoot a few 3 shot groups and clean in between. That usually does it for me. I use bore tech.

With custom barrels I shoot and clean after every shot until the bore quits showing copper, usually less than 10-12 rounds. After each shot it will be noticeably easier to clean. Then I will shoot a few 3 shot groups and clean in between. That usually does it for me. I use bore tech.

This is what I used to do, Because when breaking In factory barrels, I often reached 40+ shots before fouling slowed down.

Like everything else in this sport, almost everything is different and I wanted to find out if I was over doing it or Under doing it and the chronograph seemed like an Impartial judge.

Now I do every barrel this way because it gives me a preview of the barrels quality.

J E CUSTOM

Howa has instructions in their manuals and it is only 20 rounds. I am not a believer or disbeliever, so I follow their regimen on new rifles. I never did a break in procedure prior to the last couple of years, and have always been satisfied. But I never had anything to compare to either. I still don't know if is is beneficial, but for 20 rounds, I will do it.

So I gotta ask is there an actual no BS way of breaking in a barrel other than just plain shooting and cleaning? If you don't do XYZ have you just lost some of the potential in your barrel? If you do go through what ever procedure it is do you actually gain any life, or accuracy in your barrel. And if you do have a procedure what is it, and how can you actually prove with practical application that any type of procedure actually did any thing to affect your barrel that just plain old shooting and cleaning wouldn't do.
Brad
Check Bartlein Barrels website they have compiled ad developed a great procedure from most of the top pro shooter that go through numerous barrels. Have been using there suggested procedures for years works great every time!

I never did do break ins until i started buying nicer rifles and barrels. I think the process has merit. It only requires a few extra rounds and a little muscle. If youre buying a barrel from a company that has a recommendation I'd just follow it. It may not make the rifle more accurate, but it could. It definitely will make cleaning easier and it may not make your barrel "faster", but it could. I like to stack the deck in my favor

You need to break in the throat area after chambering because that is where the cutting was done to cause the roughness.
-J. Kreiger

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts