AR10 (.308) opinions for inexpensive shooter

You want to stay away from having to use "Service Rifle Loading" My buddy bought the FN SCAR 20 in 308 and if you went to the store and bought a box of 308's it would pop the primers and jam the bolt in the closed position. It wasn't easy to clear. You had to get a flat screw driver and wedge the bolt back because you couldn't pound or pull it open. :( You basically were stuck buying cases of NATO ammo

I attempted loading for it and even doing the min. load data down around 44,000 psi would still occasionally pop a primer. You have to use service rifle reloading tables. He ended up selling the heavy piece of junk. My AR-10's takes on max loaded for the loading tables. Like my chronographed 125 gr. Speer TNT pig rounds right at 3200 fps
I've read the same thing about scar's also. Stuck with using nato ammo. Very strange for it to operate that way!

I've read the same thing about scar's also. Stuck with using nato ammo. Very strange for it to operate that way!
Heavy and expensive at 11.6 pounds dry. My buddy paid something like $4000 and I didn't like how bulky it felt. But for military use and engage targets at 1000 yards. I'd rather build 3 of mine and shoot 60,000 psi rounds if I wanted to.

I have some piston 15's and the advantage to pistons VS gas is how clean the bolts stay when you are shooting 100's of rounds a day.

Aero Precision M5 .308, 18" SS, Warcomp, Leupold VH6-HD 3-18x44 TMOA Illuminated Reticle.

Attachments

• AeroPrecision.2nd.jpg
    AeroPrecision.2nd.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 25
  • a.p.m5.3.18.jpg
    a.p.m5.3.18.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 25
I like the AP products and have lots of them. Wasn't until I got a cbi m118 hybrid that made a 308 great. They're the secret to soft shooting 308's and accurate too boot.
Ill keep that in mind when i go barrel shopping, so far the new Ballistic Advantage is doing pretty well, it should since its brand new & only had 20 rds thru it, lol
That said, i hope its a long time before i have to replace the barrel though, but thanks for the recommendation :)

Ill keep that in mind when i go barrel shopping, so far the new Ballistic Advantage is doing pretty well, it should since its brand new & only had 20 rds thru it, lol
That said, i hope its a long time before i have to replace the barrel though, but thanks for the recommendation :)
I've heard good things about Ballistic barrels also, but I don't own any. Barrel will last you a long time.

One item not mentioned so far is an adjustable gas block. Most AR10's I've had were seriously over gassed from the factory, which leads to blown primers, ruined brass, and intolerance for realistic loads. This is especially true for carbine and medium length gas systems. An adjustable gas key will cure the problem too.