Alternative bullets question

Laguna Freak

For a few years now I've been using cheapo ($0.20 to $0.30 ea) factory 2nds of the same weight as my hunting bullets to fire form brass and do barrel break in. I've done this because of inflated prices of my hunting bullets. I've found that inside 200 yards, they shoot pretty close to my hunting bullets if both have similar geometry.

Now I've started thinking about using the cheapo bullets for initial load development steps; optimum charge weight and seating depth, ladder tests, etc. Then when I get close to the performance I want, start there with my expensive hunting bullets to finish load development.

Has anybody else been doing this? Does it seem like a potential good idea, using same weight and similar geometry cheapos? Or does your experience indicate I'd just be wasting powder and primers?

Would love to get some thoughtful feedback on this idea.

I've done initial load development with seconds and used firsts for final and had that work pretty well. I've done this twice with Nosler Accubonds as you could get the seconds that had some percentage with bad tips but they were otherwise exactly the same spec as 1st's. This saved a bunch of money. I've never done two different types of bullets though.

^^^^^^^^^^^
If you get a quantity of factory seconds of the bullets you are shooting just do a "Sort". You can probably find most of the seconds are just like firsts. I would not work up a load using "Seconds" unless you sort them out and match to your "Firsts"

I would not expect results from a different bullet to translate to your hunting bullet, especially in regards to seating depth, powder charge, ocw, etc

I would expect 2nds, or blems of the *same bullet to behave the same way.

^^^^^^^^^^^
If you get a quantity of factory seconds of the bullets you are shooting just do a "Sort". You can probably find most of the seconds are just like firsts. I would not work up a load using "Seconds" unless you sort them out and match to your "Firsts"
I've actually experienced packages of Accubond 2nds that demonstrate a smaller grain weight variance than some boxes of 1st's. The problem these days is 2nds are hard to come by. I've also confirmed that Ballistic tips fly just like Accubond, 1st or 2nd.

I have often had exactly the same precision running Nosler Ballistic Tips for testing, then switching to Accubonds. If weight is the same of course. 180g BT's are a perfect substitute for Accubonds, as are 200g BT's in many 30 cal magnums.

Cheers.