adding brake to factory

Tuktu

I have a Sako 90 hunter in 7mm rm, it shoots great with factory Hornady 139 and remington 140. I would like to add a brake. I shoot it because of velocity to go against wind, that's my Achilles heal, I don't want to change barrel length, but can I, should i

I have a Sako 90 hunter in 7mm rm, it shoots great with factory Hornady 139 and remington 140. I would like to add a brake. I shoot it because of velocity to go against wind, that's my Achilles heal, I don't want to change barrel length, but can I, should i
I have used various muzzle brakes since 2003, so my recommendation is yes. There are plenty of excellent muzzle brakes to choose from at reasonable prices. As @Sockeye66 noted, an excellent muzzle brake serves two purposes: reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Often, the latter is not realized. Being able to see the impact on targets is priceless.

Be aware that adding a muzzle brake does change the harmonics of the barrel causing your precise ammo to not be as precise. (i.e. group size getting larger)

@Tuktu - consider a side discharge 2 port muzzle brake - there are several popping up in the market. There have been advanced designs as of late that show a tremendous improvement with just two ports.

This is the best scenario for shooters in your situation where length matters, while needing recoil reduction.

Be aware that adding a muzzle brake does change the harmonics of the barrel causing your precise ammo to not be as precise. (i.e. group size getting larger)
As with anything else, one needs to adjust accordingly to any change. I am in no way saying it does not happen, but "I"have not personally experienced significant change in groups, but did so in POI, esp. with suppressors. The best way to avoid this situation is to do load development with the chosen muzzle device.

If this is a concern for the OP, a tunable MB might be worth the investment. I have the EC tuner brake.

Brakes are effective but you will need to have hearing protection on when you are hunting or just before taking a shot. Hearing damage is permanent. On two separate occasions, I fired a braked 338RUM at a game animal while my hearing protection was hanging around my neck. You'd think that I would have learned after the first unpleasant experience, but in the heat of the moment, putting on hearing protection is the last thing that came to mind.

Brakes work great but they sure aren't "hunt friendly", and if you have a guide, partner, etc near you they will need hearing protection on too.

Just something to think about before you make a decision one way or the other.

I have used various muzzle brakes since 2003, so my recommendation is yes. There are plenty of excellent muzzle brakes to choose from at reasonable prices. As @Sockeye66 noted, an excellent muzzle brake serves two purposes: reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. Often, the latter is not realized. Being able to see the impact on targets is priceless.
yes, that is what my .260 rem gives me. the rise and return eye sight is what I prefer

Brakes are effective but you will need to have hearing protection on when you are hunting or just before taking a shot. Hearing damage is permanent. On two separate occasions, I fired a braked 338RUM at a game animal while my hearing protection was hanging around my neck. You'd think that I would have learned after the first unpleasant experience, but in the heat of the moment, putting on hearing protection is the last thing that came to mind.

Brakes work great but they sure aren't "hunt friendly", and if you have a guide, partner, etc near you they will need hearing protection on too.

I had a 338 wm that i gave to my son, the recoil was much less and it was a t3x, lighter gun with less recoil. tks for your observation

Muzzle brakes are great for diminishing recoil and muzzle rise but at the cost of significantly increased sound, ear pro is an absolute requirement. Those are the pros and cons.

I agree, but how many wear hearing protection other than firing a weapon, with or without muzzle brake? I spent my first 10 years in the USAF in aircraft generation, where >140 dB during surges and prolonged exposures. We were then told to use foamies and headsets, but it was never 100% enforced. Most only wear 1 of the 2. I am a sucker for safety, so I used both. Those who did not take the proper hearing protection had significant hearing loss. When I transitioned from F-4s to A-10s, my hearing improved.

When I got out of the flight line, my hearing was almost the same as when I enlisted. In short, I wear PPE (goggles, gloves, boots, earplugs/Axil, etc.) when operating high-noise home equipment at home, such as a mower, snow blower, chain saw, etc.

noise-levels.png

I agree, but how many wear hearing protection other than firing a weapon, with or without muzzle brake? I spent my first 10 years in the USAF in aircraft generation, where >140 dB during surges and prolonged exposures. We were then told to use foamies and headsets, but it was never 100% enforced. Most only wear 1 of the 2. I am a sucker for safety, so I used both. Those who did not take the proper hearing protection had significant hearing loss. When I transitioned from F-4s to A-10s, my hearing improved.

When I got out of the flight line, my hearing was almost the same as when I enlisted. In short, I wear PPE (goggles, gloves, boots, earplugs/Axil, etc.) when operating high-noise home equipment at home, such as a mower, snow blower, chain saw, etc.

View attachment 612010
I'll be 60 next month, many years of snowmobiles , and engines and guns, I need hearing aids 24/7, wish I had the new technology to protect my hearing back then.
I think I read that i could lose 200 ft/sec per inch. I think I'll ask the gun smith to thread muzzle and that's about it. thanks alot eh

We, in My family Have, 4, PVA, Back Country, Brakes that, Keep the "Concussion / Blast", Away from, the Shooter, when Hunting, BY Diverting the First Ports "gasses" at, a different angle ( Still wear, Ear Protect ) . My grandson is shooting, Full Power, .270 WSM Loads thru my old Rifle at 14 y/o.
Cost around, $250 ish for Brake and Threading, Plus, shipping ( IIRC ) Patriot Valley Arms Re-Cuts Crown ( Skim Cut, only, Min Loss of Bbl Length)
For NO, Velocity or,. ACCURACY,.. Loss !
We have them On,. 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, .270 WSM and, a 7 mm PRC All with, 24 inch, Barrels !
My Ex- Engineer, 47 y/o, Son,. DID a Lot of research, BEFORE we went with,. the PVA, Back Country Brakes.
NONE of, Us have, ANY,.. complaints !

Last edited:

View attachment 612010

There is nothing quite like the CRACK of a big 300mag or 338mag with an efficient brake and NO hearing protection. I believe that even one shot from a braked rifle can do damage that is irrecoverable. Hearing loss is often the result of accumulated, abusively high noise levels.

I never used any hearing protection (prior to brakes) when hunting outdoors. I've been shooting varmints and biggame most of my life. I'm paying the price now for a lifetime of carelessness.

If I didn't live in the communist state of NY, I'd put a suppressor on every rifle I own. I shot a fully suppressed Ruger 10-22. Using no hearing protection indoors, the loudest thing I heard was the bolt returning to battery. Sweet :D

Recent Posts