9.3x62 Does anyone shoot it?

Ive used a 9.3x62 to take a lot of driven game in Europe. It is a decisive killer and recoil is very manageable but takes some getting used to. It is a great caliber for everything from little roe deer to large boar, moose or grizzlies.
What was your bucket of choice for deer and cow elk size animals?

The Nosler 250 grain Accubond performs well and has a reasonably hi BC for use out to 400 yards. There is no need for the bonded core because of the modest velocity, but it doesn't hurt anything. If you know all your shots will be 200 yards and in any of the 286 grain cup and core bullets work well. The Lapua Mega and its PPU clone are very decisive stoppers as is the Hornady interlock. I've used all of those on the class game you intend. I've used the 286 grain Nosler partitions on heavier game but again, the premium construction isn't really needed as even the standard cup and core will break both shoulders of even a mature bull elk.

Range day #1 went well. The rifle functions and seems fairly accurate. It definitely has some push to it even with the suppressor. It was tolerable though. I am hoping the new stock will have better ergonomics and hopefully will reduce some of the felt recoil.

Both my 9 and 12 year old shot it though without begin smashed, but these reloads were on the mild side too.

Time will tell, but it will definitely put a thump on something! Hopefully a bear in about 6 weeks.

... It definitely has some push to it even with the suppressor. It was tolerable though.
I highlighted push because this is my impression of mine. It definitely has some recoil but it's more of a push than a slam, like a higher velocity cartridge would produce. Best of luck with your rifle.
Rex

...The Lapua Mega and its PPU clone are very decisive stoppers ...even the standard cup and core will break both shoulders of even a mature bull elk.
This is great to hear. I have a lifetime supply of both 250 AB and 250 E-Tips, but also have a bunch of the Mega and (as you called them) "their PPU clone." When I got the PPU I realized I couldn't tell them apart from the Lapua. Both are very accurate in my rifle and it's good to hear your report of their effectiveness on elk, though I am figuring to mostly use them for practice, and ration my precious few 286 Partitions when I need a 285/286.
But based on the history of the 250 AB and what I suspect the history of the 250 E-Tip will become I don't think I'll ever really need a 286.
Attached pics comparing the two Nosler 250s and a pic of what my rifle does with the 250 AB. I can get another 90 FPS with it with either Varget or RL 15.5, and equal accuracy, but don't have any pics handy of those groups. It shoots the 250 ET just a little worse - just a hair over MOA. Note the extra length of the E-Tip - should have an even better BC than the AB, though Nosler has not yet reflected that in their manual. I expect it's not yet tested or a simple editorial error, as with EVERY other bullet Nosler makes both a BT/AB version of, and an ET in the same caliber and weight, the ET has a better published BC.
Cheers,
Rex

Attachments

• 9.3 250 AB v 250 E-Tip.jpg
    9.3 250 AB v 250 E-Tip.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1907c.JPG
    IMG_1907c.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 27
Remember, this is Long range hunting and the 9.3x62 is not very well suited to such tasks so not featured here too frequently but it is very effective at moderate ranges. Mine worked great on my brown bear this year.

Attachments

• 20240505_202439.jpg
    20240505_202439.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240505_202430.jpg
    20240505_202430.jpg
    858.8 KB · Views: 35
Beautiful
Thanks very much. The stock had to be extensively inletted for the double set triggers and I was starting to see a faint crack in the wood behind the trigger and the mag well. I went ahead and glass bedded the lug area and inletted a cross bolt in both areas and behind the recoil lug. So far so good. The recoil in the 9.3 is not terrible but is worse than the previous caliber. I actually hope to take it to Africa some day along with the .275 Rigby I'm building.
I still have a bit of work on the Rigby. It would be really cool to hunt with these old traditional rifles.

This my .275 Rigby.
.275 Rigby.jpg
FullSizeRender 4.jpeg

Dennisinaz:
Was that brownie a grizzly??? How big, how much did he weigh? Was it a charge or distance?
I was hunting, I saw this bear, watched him for 30 minutes from 80 yards away decided to back out and he saw us move. Scamper up onto a blood abs tried to flank us. We got to the end of the bluff (along the beach) about the same time as he did. He saw me move, stood up to get a better look, pinned his ears back and charged. I was already aiming at him so I shot immediately.
He was maybe 20-25 yards away. I hit him twice on the bluff then followed into the alders. He charged again from inside the alders. I shoot him a 3rd time and then a 4th.
I went up to see if he was dead and when he tried to get up I shot him with my 10mm and killed him.
1000 pound+ brown bear on Kodiak. About 10 feet square. Big Bear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508_112103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240508_112103_Gallery.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 22
Wow!
That is one heck of a hunting story about one apex predator trying and determined to kill the other. I love my 9.3's too and it worked, but your experience makes me think a little more horsepower for these big beasts might be more reassuring. Forget about a .338. That dude soaked up a lot of lead and ft.lbs. before giving up the ghost. I'm thinking something .40 cal'ish might be more ideal. Like .416 Ruger, Rigby, or even a big double might be better. That's what they hit 'em with in Africa, especially when things get up close and personal.