88g eldm in an AR15

graham184

Howdy Folks,

Got a weird hankerin' the other day and decided to try and fit some 88g eldm's in an AR. Found an old metal mag laying around, cut the front center section completely out to about half way down. The bullet tips now run against the inside of the mag well, which is acting as the magazine front. I Am able to load them up to 2.335 oal. The ogive just barely hangs out of the neck (trimmed a bit short though to make it work). It'll hold 10rds without issue.

Managed to squeeze enough powder of various assortments under them to cycle the action no problem every time. Velocity was way low though, averaging 2300 fps. No pressure signs of any kind. I'm planning to continue this experiment in a week or two. I think I can get to 2500 with the right powder.

Anyone else ever played with these in a semi?

I had that similar bug a few years back and decided that rather than try to stuff a big .22 cal bullet into that set-up, I would go with a medium-weight 6mm bullet instead. Built myself a 6X45 and with the mags windowed like you did, I can get an 85-grain Sierra HPGK to leave the 20" barrel at 2625. It will hammer a coyote or a whitetail.

I had that similar bug a few years back and decided that rather than try to stuff a big .22 cal bullet into that set-up, I would go with a medium-weight 6mm bullet instead. Built myself a 6X45 and with the mags windowed like you did, I can get an 85-grain Sierra HPGK to leave the 20" barrel at 2625. It will hammer a coyote or a whitetail.
Yea these even at 2300 fps are supersonic to 900yds. Should be a fun little missile to send now and then.

I'd try them on a chuck, badger, or yote. I dumped a badger last weekend using a 75gr ELDM out of my AR15. DRT.

Over on SH they had one guy single feed them. Another guy on YT nevada desert rat something or other single feeds them also out to 1200 yards.

Not sure what advantage there might be for doing this. Quite frankly there may be none at all. Bragging about having bigger bullets makes my testicles feel better though! I wanted to see if it could be done is all. I had the 88's laying around, didn't have a bolt gun to run them in, and if I can mag feed them, then I can use em'. They seem to stabilize just dandy in the 7 twist 18" DD barrel. With a bc of .545, the idea of that coming out of my favorite ar, just kinda draws me in. A 1000 (supersonic) yard capable mag fed 223, plus it's just an experiment.

Varget gave me a .8" group, and an SD of 4. But it was too compressed to get enough velocity (2290fps)

SW Precision seems like a candidate, but I need to up in charge weight. Again compressed, but less so. (Loaded at 90g data, 2280fps)

ACC 2460 gave me a group in the 2.5 inch range, but was at 2315fps. This had plenty of room left in the case, and has potential.

I intend to try ACC 2230, SW tac rifle, and maybe H 414 on the next go round.