86-year-old veteran sniper - 1,000 yard head shots

I just now came across this video while researching some reloading info and just had to check it out. Wow, what a great story! You could really feel the genuine graditude he had for being awarded his black cap and the rifle.

I was pleasently surprised when I saw his division patch on his sleve that he was in the same division my dad served in at the Battle of the Buldge..the 99th (checkerboard). Those were tough and courageous men who we owe our freedom to. I just wish my dad was still alive so I could have shown him that video.

Gooood night, that is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while! What an oustanding tribute!

Great video. My dad was a WW2 vet. He saw action in the south pacific during some of the worst parts of the war. He also carried the 03 springfield. when i was just a pup he ordered 2 03's from the nra magazine and paid 7$ apiece for them for he and my older brother. He sporterized them by cutting off the front metal band and took off the manlicher style stock. he was a crack shot with his rifle just using the old army issued peep sights. after his eyesight started going downhill my brother had the barrel shortened and mounted a 4x scope on it for him. Much venison was harvested with this rig. God bless those old timers. we owe them a great debt. AJ

Unforgetably impressive. There's no paying off the debt owed to him and people like him. My father-in-law spent the last few months in Dachau after being wounded in the Bulge. He used to get an association publication from a group of Dachau survivors; we have one to remind us of his sacrifices. My dad served in the Pacific in the Navy; he never spoke much about his experiences of war. But my brother and I found some photographs in a chest of drawers that we were forbidden to open and neither of us can forget them to this day. No doubt it was the seed that, ultimately made me a professional historian. We were young then, and in that, unaware, unknowing, and yes, maybe unworthy being unable to comprehend the magnitude of what we saw.

We're older now and as to that unworthy part, well at least for me, if I could even convey this to my dad and he understood: If I'm ever half the man he was and is it will be the zenith of my accomplishments.

Truly is amazing. Honestly, it brought a tear to my eye as I watched this frail old gentleman and realized that, at one point in his life, he was lean and mean, fighting for our country under the worst of conditions. Then, to watch him shoot, what a treat. You can't help but respect a man of his caliber and ability. God bless him..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.