7STW worth the trouble??

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Just bought a Sendero II in 7RM (YUCK) and thinking of rechambering to something else.
7STW, 28 Nosler & 7RUM have all been considered at this point. Barrel life of the other 2 have pushed me closer to the STW, so I would like opinions on what you think about it's versatility over the others.
The barrel I am using on this build is a 29" 4 groove 1:8" twist 264WM. The factory barrel in 7RM is either being rechambered or sent down the road. In the past, my Sendero barrels have been good shooters, so opinions are needed.

Cheers.

I am more of an STW fan than a 28 Nosler fan for the simple reason you will get a little more barrel life from the STW. I have a couple of custom STW's and I have done load work up for a buddy with a Rem Sendero rechambered from 7RM to 7STW. I could not get the velocity out of the factory barrel that I could out of the custom barrels. That has also been true for the 300WM factory Senderos I've done load development for. That being said you may consider rechambering to the Nosler for more speed and baby it for barrel life. All the Senderos I've seen have been accurate shooters.

Having rebuilt my 7STW to a 28 Nosler I personally like the 28 Nosler better. The length will be much easier to manage with the long heavies in the 28 Nosler. You will get a little more velocity out of the 28 Nosler and it is a little more efficient.
I am running the 175 class bullets at 3200 fps. It is throated for the 195s and is 28" long.
IMG_20191003_091150171_HDR.jpg

First, I am no fan of the RUMs. Just my opinion, to each his own. I do like the STW. You will have a few more brass choices for it than the Nosler. I have built several 28 Noslers for clients and it is always best to start with a UM action. That saves having to 'open' the feed rails for the Jeffery based Nosler. None of these do I worry about barrel life as they are 'hunting rifles' and will not see big round counts, anyway. My personal rifle is a STW, and I could barrel up whatever it was that suited me as I have reamers for any that you mentioned.

i'm a 7STW fan and I've owned three, still own two , one of them was a stock 7mag that was rechambered to 7STW. your stock Remington sendero bbl is better then their factory run bbl.'s , that said its your money and your Choice how you want to proceed , it took years for the Factories to build so called better Cartridges, I've sat back and watched all the Hype of the up and coming new rounds, lots of ging has been made selling STW brass,Even more selling these new upstarts, its funny how quick the tide turns. if you build a STW to BE competitive it needs a WATS box ,a fast twist,and its throat has to be set up for the longer bullets., so set up it'll run with any newer cartridges . if you are Serious go with a Custom barrel ,Krieger , Brux, Hart,etc,etc., another point not every rifle has to fire the heaviest bullets to give its owner performance . cheers

Let me first state that I love my 7 STW. The STW was a big deal in the gun magazines when I came out in 1996 and after talking to a couple of guys who had custom guns, I was smitten. I immediately ran out and rechambered a three year old 7RM Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe that was shooting 1/2 moa. Bottom line: 12% more powder = 5% more velocity. Don't know much about the 28 No's or 7RUM, but suspect the bottom line is similar compared to the 7RM. The 7RM would have been equally effective for anything game animal on this continent under 800 yards. Not as sexy perhaps. I will be needing a new barrel in the near future and still stay with the 7STW because I have new brass and am set up to load for it.

I'd stick with the 7rm personally, very versatile and will run 180s in the 2900 range and some will hit 3k.

I don't understand the 28 nos hate. I feel it will be a better loading round then the stw due to its shorter length. Additionally the better case design will result in less trimming of brass.

They're both barrel burners so that's a moot point.

Have you thought about a 30 Nosler? I'm running the 230 berger at 2940 and consistently .5 or better to 300. Its actually ran .5 with 4 different bullets from 200-230.

I have all except the 7 RUM. Nosler is better than them all - bbl life might be short, but you aren't going to practice standing at 100 yards with a 28N. As others have pointed out, the shorter case give you lots of better options with longer bullets.

I had a custom rifle built in 7STW which was amazingly accurate. I shot a truck load of whitetails with it and eventually shot the barrel out. In the end, I decided that the 7STW was more rifle than I really needed for shooting deer out to 500yds.

I had a new rifle built in 7WSM which kills whitetails just as well and has less recoil and (presumably) much longer barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.