7prc funny or not

ARlife4me

the 3 and only listed powders for the 185 (only bullet nosler listed) are either discontinued or way past hard to find! so, what powders would be compatible for this (i don't have a 7prc)?

I would suggest you study the Hodgdon web site.
This isn't data specific to your Nosler 185, but the list of candidate powders will still be the same ones between these 180s and the 185s.
1726256300567.png

The advice above to also mirror the 7 RM data was the same idea. It would be a good starting point for candidate powders. Here is the list for 7 RM with 180s
1726256503590.png

Notice the similarities in the lists and the data? YMMV

In that case capacity, I find H1000 to be about as much case fill as the cartridge can handle, BUT, if you can get enough Retumbo in there, then that may be the best powder other than a double base Vhit powder.
I use H50BMG in those same size cartridges with success, 264WM, 270Bee, 257Bee & 6.5-300Bee come to mind. Have finished and threaded the 6.5-300Bee blank, so just waiting on headstamped cases.

Cheers.

My Son Cracked, the 3,000 FPS Barrier with, StaBall HD using ----- Grains of It and, the Hornady 180 gr ELD-M's !
But, has since, Backed Down to, the 2,987 FPS Level for, some, serious, Accuracy. ( Low 3's with, his Proof, 24" bbl on, a Tikka action )
He's Using MORE, StaBall HD than any chg's shown,. in the Hogdon Book so DON'T, ask !
ADG Cases, Mic OK and NO showing of, ejector Marks yet ! ( He kinda Knows,.. what, he's doing ).
Some Famous, Long Range, Elk hunter, gave Him, the Data

Last edited:
I can assure you that, He's running, MORE Pressure than,.. 62,000 PSI
and Well into, the 70+ grain Mark of, StaBall HD, Powder
Using ADG Brass and F-210 M primers, 180's @ .070 Off, the Lands.
Like I said, another Guy gave Him, the Load data and Said that, it was safe, in HIS Rifle.
My son Did, "Work Up" to where, He's at, tho !

Last edited:
Staball 6.5 is rumored to go from fine to too much all of a sudden. Which is OK, if you are careful, AND if it is truly temp stable.

I wonder where Staball HD will settle out. I have a 6.5-284 that I am trying it in. Using 6.5 PRC data as a starting point. I am going to shoot a complete one shot ladder from starting load to max, one shot every 0.5 gr and then stop if I hit any sign of pressure.

I shot the first couple rounds and had to stop (I had remounted the scope and had HOPED that my zero was not far off, but alas I was not papering at 100) so I need to move over to the pistol range and boresight and start over to get the scope on target.

I will say, the Staball HD was fast as hell already in my starting load. If this stuff is really temp stable and accurate, its going to be the replacement to RL-26 or even better. Emphasis on IF temp stable and accurate....... Might be like RL-33. That one faded away --- never got to shoot some.....

In that case capacity, I find H1000 to be about as much case fill as the cartridge can handle, BUT, if you can get enough Retumbo in there, then that may be the best powder other than a double base Vhit powder.
I use H50BMG in those same size cartridges with success, 264WM, 270Bee, 257Bee & 6.5-300Bee come to mind. Have finished and threaded the 6.5-300Bee blank, so just waiting on headstamped cases.

Cheers.
I've thought about the very slow powders (h50, 50bmg, rl50 & 2 vv powders), but so far for the 264wm I have rl33, 570, lrt to try. I do have 1 full # of 7977. I bought the 7977 for nosler 142ablr in 264wm.