7mmSTW

SpectreGunner

Hello to all my fellow gun enthusiasts. I'm a huge gun guy and hunter. I love my 7mmSTW. Have killed many Bucks and Other game with it over the years. I was introduced to this caliber by Doug Borries on my first trip to Texas to Deer hunt years ago. He had a custom 7mmSTW built by James Ferguson, which made me a fan the second I shot his gun. So much that I left Texas and had a gun built similar to his. Ferguson also made custom ammo to go with his rifle which was the fastest 140 grain I've ever shot. I have shot multiple boxes of various STW ammo both factory and hand loads and have tried all different grain and bullets over the years but nothing comes close to the velocity Doug's gun shot with this custom ammo. Does anyone know how to get ahold of James Ferguson or his son? I heard Ferguson might have passed away. I've looked for years and have never been able to get ahold of them. Found a number online years ago and called left a few messages and never got a reply. I only ask because my friend Doug has passed way unfortunately so can't ask him and I wanted to get some of that ammo or find out the load data that Ferguson used, they were hot loads that definitely pushed 140 grain to the peak speeds. If anyone can lead Me to a phone number or shop or the load data Ferguson used I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks
Robert Bunker

I,m not familiar with the gentlemen in question,but I have a load that does well in my STW. I get over 3500fps easily and safely. I've seen people write about getting over 3600 but I've never seen a safe, sane load that would do it. I've only had 2 rifles in STW, maybe they know some trick or magic unicorn dust I'm not knowing! If your interested, p.m. me.

This is over 10 years old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241001_023528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_023528_Chrome.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 32
I,m not familiar with the gentlemen in question,but I have a load that does well in my STW. I get over 3500fps easily and safely. I've seen people write about getting over 3600 but I've never seen a safe, sane load that would do it. I've only had 2 rifles in STW, maybe they know some trick or magic unicorn dust I'm not knowing! If your interested, p.m. me.
Thanks for the reply Casey36. I would definitely like to get your load data. Much appreciated

you can google him it appears he did pass in October of 2020, not sure if that company is still in existence or not. I was curious about looking at doing a hot tamale 257stw once and just lost interest (his name kept coming up in that search). I have 3 7stw's some of my favorite. I shoot 160's class bullets and had one made with a twist to accept 195bergers I really like with plenty of power out of the stw to go some distance.

If it is speed that you want, I would look at the 140gr Absolute Hammer. In my load testing, I safely pushed the AH to 3600 fps. I know some folks with Ruger no. 1s that can do that with cup and core projectiles, but the Absolute Hammer can get you there without much hassle.

If it is speed that you want, I would look at the 140gr Absolute Hammer. In my load testing, I safely pushed the AH to 3600 fps. I know some folks with Ruger no. 1s that can do that with cup and core projectiles, but the Absolute Hammer can get you there without much hassle.
Thank you JakeWes I'll have to check these out, never heard of Absolute Hammer before. If you'd like to share your load data for that I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you JakeWes I'll have to check these out, never heard of Absolute Hammer before. If you'd like to share your load data for that I would greatly appreciate.

you can google him it appears he did pass in October of 2020, not sure if that company is still in existence or not. I was curious about looking at doing a hot tamale 257stw once and just lost interest (his name kept coming up in that search). I have 3 7stw's some of my favorite. I shoot 160's class bullets and had one made with a twist to accept 195bergers I really like with plenty of power out of the stw to go some distance.
Txaggie1 I'm curious what twist your 3 STW's are?

Appreciate that!

Thanks for the reply Casey36. I would definitely like to get your load data. Much appreciated
Mine is very simple, 80gr. IMR 7828, Federal 215 in Remington brass. 3526fps Ave. in my gun. I've went up to 82.5 with no signs of pressure but had great accuracy at 80.0. Plenty fast and groups in the .2's Custom Remington 700, with a 27" Hart barrel. Almost forgot, 140gr. Nosler Bal. Tip. or Accubond. Shoots 160 Barnes tsx over 3300 with a couple of different powders.

Last edited:
I would be interested in this also. I've wanted to try their bullets.