7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

You can try backing off the charge a hair and/or slower burning powder if backing off causes accuracy to drop off.

One thing I'm wondering is, is there a difference in how different mfg's and custom makers cut the angle on the transition from the freebore running up to the lans?

I'm postulating that if you have a longer/flatter slope on that run then you'll have less pressure problems than you would with a sharper/steeper transition.

I was also thinking that the longer transition would cause more accuracy issues if you back off vs the sharper angle.

Maybe some of the real gurus will chime in. This is pure theory on my part.
I have been curious how an STW would react with a long freebore like a Weatherby...That would eliminate the need for jumping the bullets a long ways or pinning them up against the lands for pressure spikes. Then you could seat to magazine length and it wouldn't matter.

I have been curious how an STW would react with a long freebore like a Weatherby...That would eliminate the need for jumping the bullets a long ways or pinning them up against the lands for pressure spikes. Then you could seat to magazine length and it wouldn't matter.
The few people i've ever talked to shooting accumarks chambered in 7mm STW were very happy with them.

I hope someone that has actual experience scoping lots of throats can chime in on my theory/questions.

The few people i've ever talked to shooting accumarks chambered in 7mm STW were very happy with them.

I hope someone that has actual experience scoping lots of throats can chime in on my theory/questions.
I agree, I'd like to hear how it affects throat erosion, as well.

I couldn't see where it would harm anything to have a long freebore. All I can see are positive effects.

I bet it would increase barrel life and throat wear significantly enough to make it a contender compared to larger caliber overbore magnums that are a little better because of the larger bore diameter.

The 7stw already has around .2" freebore (from a 3.6" saami oal), or about the same as many wby cal's. The problem is people seat their pills out and use extended mags to eat up that freebore. If you want to get over .25" freebore you need to get to something like the 7rum which will have .4" to .5" from what I've seen.

The 7stw already has around .2" freebore (from a 3.6" saami oal), or about the same as many wby cal's. The problem is people seat their pills out and use extended mags to eat up that freebore. If you want to get over .25" freebore you need to get to something like the 7rum which will have .4" to .5" from what I've seen.
I don't want to own a 7RUM, I was just thinking that it would be cool to have about .5" of freebore to help save the throat and to help the finicky VLD's be seated to a normal length.

The .4 to.5 Freebore in the 7 rum is what lead to its demise ......... Since and before 1989 all of this has been tried in the STW at one time or another.......The Current Chamber Configuration is what works......Thats why its still the same ......Simply Said .....It Works

The .4 to.5 Freebore in the 7 rum is what lead to its demise ......... Since and before 1989 all of this has been tried in the STW at one time or another.......The Current Chamber Configuration is what works......Thats why its still the same ......Simply Said .....It Works
Is there any difference in the angle for how the freeore runs up to the lans?

It seems to me that some of the bores I've looked up have a slower more gradual slope to them while others seemed more blunt. This may be a difference based on caliber or mfg or quite possibly a figment of my imagination, I'm not sure.

Is there any difference in the angle for how the freeore runs up to the lans?

It seems to me that some of the bores I've looked up have a slower more gradual slope to them while others seemed more blunt. This may be a difference based on caliber or mfg or quite possibly a figment of my imagination, I'm not sure.
Most do have a taper down to the Leade and they do vary .......Mostly in Weatherby They do there own thing and most always have alot of freebore to make sure and avoid spikes

Most do have a taper down to the Leade and they do vary .......Mostly in Weatherby They do there own thing and most always have alot of freebore to make sure and avoid spikes
So that would mean that my idea of the long freebore in the STW to prevent overpressuring would be a good thing, correct?

Can PTG make me a Weatherby 7mm STW reamer, or is there a patent on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownut
good morning Guys,

i have been to the range serveral time scence last posting tring to get her dialed in. with the 168 lrx i get a good group for the first 6 rounds then it falls apart as the barrels gets dirty.from about 5/8 in 3 shot group to over a 1.5 in group. after cleaning it will group the first 2 groups tight then it falls apart.

i found a box of the Nosler accubond long range in 150gr have shot presure groups to see if the rifle liked them. have come up with a 3 shot raged hole load but have about 50 bullets left to get use to this load for a Idaho limited entry Deer hunt in October.

has anyone seen any on a shelve?? i cannot find any on the internet or any shelves around here.

What was the load data, i.e., brass, powder, primer, OAL...?

And did you measure the velocity of that load?

Here you go:

Nosler® AccuBond® Long-Range Rifle Bullets : Cabela's

sorry for the delay but to many irons in the fire lately,

brass : remington
powder: H1000 84.3 grains
primer 215M
AOL: 3.645 max in my mag is 3.660
aver fps: 3315

i did fins 2 more boxes of the nosler LR 150 gr. at a local shop. they had them on order but were told they were back order then they showed up.

this load groups great even after serveral reounds bown the tube.. if i can fold it it groups 3 in a raged hole at 100. have shot a couple of groups at 200 at about 5/8 in group.. that gun can di it's job i almost always have a problem.

the range has a 12x12 in plate at 450 dialed the scope and had 3 at about a 2 in group. first time then the secound group was bigger but total my fault i called each bulter to the sport and he said it was right were i call it.

this load is going on a Idaho deer hunt and for cow elk here in Utah. should be a fun season..

I am the VERY happy owner of a new 7STW. Specs are as follows:
Surgeon 1086 action
McMillian Rem Hunter stock 50%black, 25%OD, 25%Lt. Tan
Krieger 5.5 taper fluted 9.5 twist 28" long
Jewell trigger
Nightforce 5-25 ATACR scope

Initial load development with 140 Accubonds yielded 1/2" groups at 100 yards. 80 grains of IMR7828 resulted in a velocity of 3477, SD5, ES12.

Can't thank Robert Gradous enough for both his beautiful work and his patience in working with a rookie like me to select the parts for this rifle.

I think I finalized my load development for this rifle today.
168 Berger Classic Hunting Hybrid 80 grains of Retumbo results in 3220 fps with less than 1/2moa (2") spread at 600 yards. No pressure signs with this rifle. Yours will be different, so don't start here. I started at 76.

1st time I shot it at distance longer than 100 yards with a perfectly clean barrel, landed just outside the 3" diameter X ring of the Fclass target that I was shooting at from 600 yards.

Gotta love 9 MOA vertical adjustment at 600 yards, bullet still traveling at 2300 fps and just under 2000 ft-lbs of energy.

I've been invited to a friend's 22 square mile spread in Wyoming for a chance to hunt mule deer .... life is good. I couldn't be happier!

BTW, have you guys played with seating depth to fine tune like is done for F class? I have no idea what type of affect it would have with the already long jump from seating to mag length. Thanks for the help, love the site.