7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

RANGE REPORT! SHARPSHOOTER!

Hi guys, Ive been out of the loop for a couple of days, my motum power supply cord crapped out, got new one, all better. Tried to shoot Saturday, but had problems with scope bases. Needed to shim rear mount to get me on the paper. Went back Sunday, in 86 degree temps. Well, long story short, ambient temp, and barrel heat were a big issue. I shot three powders, and two bullet weights. Hornady 162 A max, and 154 spire point. It did not like , RL 22, or H1000, but did show promise with RL25. I got a decent group at 200 yards that measured 1.192. This was a perfect pyramid group which typically indicates that it may be made to shoot better with a little tweaking, or maybe shoot it again when it is not so hot. The barrel got pretty warm even after one shot. Not really ideal conditions for bugging out a shooter load. My favorite temps are between 50 and 60 degrees. That way you won't have so much variance on the high and lower temps. Reloder powders are temp sensitive anyway, but I was getting the same with the H1000. I am surprised the RL 25 shot as good as it did. I think that I need to wait for better conditions to really wring out the potential, but if I can catch a cool morning on the weekends, I will try again.
On another note, I have noticed that this barrel does not foul hardly at all. It cleans very easily, and with no effort. Trigger is very nice and crisp, no creep, and lite. Take care to all, and nice to be in the loop again!!!!!

Now would be the time to start from scratch and start building a load for the 180g Berger VLDs!!!!! Try Retumbo first. And H1000 next. Forget the little bullets and go big right from the beginining with this rifle.:D

At least that's what I'd do......or rather I'm doing....

Dan

7stw - iut would be no fun if you got it right the very first time out!! Good to hear you are back up and running, keep us posted on your results.

RANGE REPORT! SHARPSHOOTER!

Hi guys, Ive been out of the loop for a couple of days, my motum power supply cord crapped out, got new one, all better. Tried to shoot Saturday, but had problems with scope bases. Needed to shim rear mount to get me on the paper. Went back Sunday, in 86 degree temps. Well, long story short, ambient temp, and barrel heat were a big issue. I shot three powders, and two bullet weights. Hornady 162 A max, and 154 spire point. It did not like , RL 22, or H1000, but did show promise with RL25. I got a decent group at 200 yards that measured 1.192. This was a perfect pyramid group which typically indicates that it may be made to shoot better with a little tweaking, or maybe shoot it again when it is not so hot. The barrel got pretty warm even after one shot. Not really ideal conditions for bugging out a shooter load. My favorite temps are between 50 and 60 degrees. That way you won't have so much variance on the high and lower temps. Reloder powders are temp sensitive anyway, but I was getting the same with the H1000. I am surprised the RL 25 shot as good as it did. I think that I need to wait for better conditions to really wring out the potential, but if I can catch a cool morning on the weekends, I will try again.
On another note, I have noticed that this barrel does not foul hardly at all. It cleans very easily, and with no effort. Trigger is very nice and crisp, no creep, and lite. Take care to all, and nice to be in the loop again!!!!!

I've been using rl25 since it came out with the 7stw, the 7 rum, and the 300 rum, and I've basically stopped using most of the single base stuff because rl is so much better in my rifles. I've seen Retumbo do pretty well, but if it isn't lr22, rl25, wc872, or I 5010(I don't even use this anymore since mine went bad), I really don't trust it to do well in the more over-bore rounds. I'm currently using rl22 and rl25 in my m700.

Dijon,

I certianly don't think you're a "num-nut"....all of us had to begin reloading sometime and no questin is a dumb question. If you've loaded other cartridges with success, I'm sure that you can handle the 7 STW.

My biggest concern is the fact that I have no frame of reference for the powders availble to you. Who maufacturers SOCHEM powders???? I've been looking on the internet for some information and I've had no luck other than finding a burn rate chart that tells me the approximate burn rate of SOCHEM powders compared to the powders that I am familiar with.

Do you happen to have a Web site that I can look at???? I don't mind sites in forgein languages either....

The Hammer head has a 26 1-9.25" twist bbl so you can stabilize bullets up to 168g with out any problem. As far a starting load, I'm not quite sure yet.

I must ask you about the powder (SOCHEM S385).....is it a stick or ball/flake powder? I know tha burn rate is similar to H4831 and a starting load for it depends on the bullet weight.

This burn rate chart also shows a SOCHEM powder called S371 which is a little slower still. Is it available to you???? I would actulally be even better....

Are there any other brands of powder like Norma or Vihtavuori that are available to you???

I favor a heavier bullet for consistantcy at long ranges and energy retention as well as the higher ballistic coeffient.

Decide on a bullet and find the info on the powder and the company that makes it and then we will go from there.

By the way, I live in Idaho, in the United States.

Dan

Dan,

I have done some homework this side and came up with the following...

It is SOMCHEM powders and the company is now called Rheinmetall-DENEL Munitions.
I can get my hands on alot of S361 which is even slower on the burn rate than the S385. I think you will agree to this powder/propellant.
I have also had a look and found that I can readily get Sierra Matchking 150gr and 168gr. I follow what you say on the heavier bullets and like you stated, my barrel can handle the 168gr. The BC on this bullet is except for the 175gr, the best I can find in SA and will most probarbly settle for it. Is this a wise decision, taking into account that I will be hunting and not just shooting at paper. Will this bullet do the work andnot just be accurate? If need be, I will also look into bullets from Hornady, like the V-Max or A-max etc etc... as long as the BC is very high and comparable with Match bullets!

I also got a little manual today which can tell me what Somchem powder to use if I have powder manufacturers from abroad. It can compare the following:
Du Pont, Hodgdon, AA, Hercules, Olin(W/W), Norma, RWS, Vihta and ADI. I hope this can make ita bit easier.

Thanks again and we will chat soon.

Now would be the time to start from scratch and start building a load for the 180g Berger VLDs!!!!! Try Retumbo first. And H1000 next. Forget the little bullets and go big right from the beginining with this rifle.:D

At least that's what I'd do......or rather I'm doing....

Dan

Dan, I can hear you yelling at me all the way over hear!!! How are ya doing? Basically, I was just getting my feet wet with it Saturday and Sunday, and just threw a few known loads together, but the heat sort of threw me off my game. I ordered q set of dual dovetail bases for it yesterday, as I have a few sets of rings, but no bases for Winchester. I do want to shoot the 180's, but I think I am going to reserve them for the new build.
Speaking of which, I paid off the donor today, and my gunsmith has the rifle in his shop. I will give him the barrel this weekend. This is the one that I am going to concentrate on , with the 180's.
As for the Winchester, if it will shoot the 150 class bullets well, that's fine by me. The owner of the gunshop that I bought it from, said that when he shot it, he was shooting 150 grain bullets, and it loved them. That was about as much as I think he shot it, to be honest. I will keep you posted, and you keep me straight now, you hear?

Dan, you are going to think that I am a num-nut but I am seriously new to all of this reloading jargon and technicalities. What I do have is a steady and sensitive trigger finger, good slow breathing and very good sight. I can take a rifle and shoot well. I am at the mercy of people whom have done this reloading science a while and I am to glad that you guys put up with novices like me.
Will it help if I give you details of my gun?

Bought(imported) original Remington Sendero SF. Lenght of barrel and twists are unknown too me! Can you give me this detail because I cant find it on the Remington webpage?
After the conversion to what is now called Hammerhead, what is left of the original is the barrel, action and trigger. The barrel has been lenghtened with the break at the front and measures 12.6cm or 4.96". All that extra weight which I wanted comes from my stock and maybe a little bit of weight also in the mercury tube. Hammer is really at this stage what we call here in SA, a PLING gun, meaning that I can hold the grip and fire a round and the scope does not move from the target, somehow like my little 22-250 does, the recoil is probarbly also on par.

Give the info you have on Hammer, what do you think I must do for a startup load. I like the idea of match bullets to give me the best consistency with groupings. I dont know if I must worry about massive velocity for the distances which I want to reach?

Ideal world, I would like to shoot a 150-160gr match type of bullet as fast and flat as possible to a distance of 750m and still
have enough energy to put down up to an Eland or Gemsbuck in the head or neck-probarbly wishfull thinking but that is
where I want to be.

Chat soon

PS: You know I am from SA, where do you live?

Dijon, I have been following you post, and have been trying to find info on the burn rate of you powder, versus the powder that is used here. Someone recently told me of a conversion chart that shows similar burn rates, but I can not locate him.
Anyway, as I stated earlier, you rifle is beast of beauty, and I know you are approaching your load data cautiously, which is a good thing.
You are on the right track with the bullets that that are wanting to shoot if I am gathering that the powder you are using has the burn rate of h 4831. That being being said, I would probably stick to the 150 class, if that is the burn rate. I hope I am not confusing you, but it is I that is confused, as to the burn rate.
I love this caliber, and have several in this caliber, and am willing to help on any way I can, as will the rest of the gang here. I will do a search, and try to find a comparable burn rate to your powders and get back with you! Dano1 will be a big help to you here as you probably all ready know. Take care, and take baby steps in your load development. It will pay HUGE dividends in the end!!!!
P/ S, you are not being a " num nut" by asking GOOD questions to those with more experience, but NOT asking ?'s would be in the " num nut " category!!!!!!!

Dijon, I have been following you post, and have been trying to find info on the burn rate of you powder, versus the powder that is used here. Someone recently told me of a conversion chart that shows similar burn rates, but I can not locate him.
Anyway, as I stated earlier, you rifle is beast of beauty, and I know you are approaching your load data cautiously, which is a good thing.
You are on the right track with the bullets that that are wanting to shoot if I am gathering that the powder you are using has the burn rate of h 4831. That being being said, I would probably stick to the 150 class, if that is the burn rate. I hope I am not confusing you, but it is I that is confused, as to the burn rate.
I love this caliber, and have several in this caliber, and am willing to help on any way I can, as will the rest of the gang here. I will do a search, and try to find a comparable burn rate to your powders and get back with you! Dano1 will be a big help to you here as you probably all ready know. Take care, and take baby steps in your load development. It will pay HUGE dividends in the end!!!!
P/ S, you are not being a " num nut" by asking GOOD questions to those with more experience, but NOT asking ?'s would be in the " num nut " category!!!!!!!

Cheers, thnx a mill. Yes, according to my charts, S361 is on par with H4831 with burn rate.
I would however like to use the most stable bullet as possible and between 150gr and 168gr, I will use whatever works best with the powders

Chat soon

Dan,

I have done some homework this side and came up with the following...

It is SOMCHEM powders and the company is now called Rheinmetall-DENEL Munitions.
I can get my hands on alot of S361 which is even slower on the burn rate than the S385. I think you will agree to this powder/propellant.
I have also had a look and found that I can readily get Sierra Matchking 150gr and 168gr. I follow what you say on the heavier bullets and like you stated, my barrel can handle the 168gr. The BC on this bullet is except for the 175gr, the best I can find in SA and will most probarbly settle for it. Is this a wise decision, taking into account that I will be hunting and not just shooting at paper. Will this bullet do the work andnot just be accurate? If need be, I will also look into bullets from Hornady, like the V-Max or A-max etc etc... as long as the BC is very high and comparable with Match bullets!

I also got a little manual today which can tell me what Somchem powder to use if I have powder manufacturers from abroad. It can compare the following:
Du Pont, Hodgdon, AA, Hercules, Olin(W/W), Norma, RWS, Vihta and ADI. I hope this can make ita bit easier.

Thanks again and we will chat soon.
Dijon compare the somchem powder against Hodgdon H-4831,H-1000 and and Retumbo and see if its close to any of those and we will go from there ........just hang tight .....with the Braintrust we have here we will have you going in no time

Hey Everybody ......I got the convesion rates for Dijons sochem powders and here is what I have......... The S361 is in line wth RL15 and H380,Sochem s365 has a burn rate that falls in between RL 19 and RL 22 and Sochem 385 falls between RL22 and RL 25,and Sochem B12.7 is right in line with Retumbo ..........There its is fellars .........off we go

Has anyone used RL25 with a 160gr ? I was wondering what its like for temp sensitivity, I test loads in 60dg but hunt in 0-, -10

or what have u used in a similar situation

Hey Everybody ......I got the convesion rates for Dijons sochem powders and here is what I have......... The S361 is in line wth RL15 and H380,Sochem s365 has a burn rate that falls in between RL 19 and RL 22 and Sochem 385 falls between RL22 and RL 25,and Sochem B12.7 is right in line with Retumbo ..........There its is fellars .........off we go

This comment is actually for Dijon, reading the above quote from my pal " butterbean" , the " Sochem" s365 I would think would be good with bullet weights in the 140-150 weight class. Additionally, from what I can see, the 385 should be the deal with 150-168 weight class, and finally, for anything heavier than than that, the B12.7 will do the heavy weights!! I trust that the above burn rates are accurate. I would stay away from the s361. It is TOO fast burning. Keep in mind that you can use a slow burning powder with any weight bullet, but you can not use a heavy bullet with faster burn rate due to pressure spikes. The best overall powder that I see from the burn chart would be the S-385. it's burn rate is perfect for bullet weights from 140-180. If that powder is avail to you, that is the one that I would recommend.that puts your " target weight" bullets right in the wheel house. You should be able to get good velocity, and low pressure across the board. All else being equal, and the burn rates correct, that should put you on the road to a good , SAFE, and FAST load. Experiment with primers. Good luck, and take care.

Has anyone used RL25 with a 160gr ? I was wondering what its like for temp sensitivity, I test loads in 60dg but hunt in 0-, -10

or what have u used in a similar situation

I just did some preliminary work with that combo. The weather was hot,( 86 degrees). I have not shot RL25 in my STW's until now, but so far I like it. I have no chrono data as of yet, but like I say, I was just burning some powder, and firing bullets to get a idea what the gun likes, and RL 25 came out on top. I am going to be using more now, because my new build is intended for 180 bullets, and I believe that the rl25 will be the ticket. I don't have any " cold " data at this point.

This comment is actually for Dijon, reading the above quote from my pal " butterbean" , the " Sochem" s365 I would think would be good with bullet weights in the 140-150 weight class. Additionally, from what I can see, the 385 should be the deal with 150-168 weight class, and finally, for anything heavier than than that, the B12.7 will do the heavy weights!! I trust that the above burn rates are accurate. I would stay away from the s361. It is TOO fast burning. Keep in mind that you can use a slow burning powder with any weight bullet, but you can not use a heavy bullet with faster burn rate due to pressure spikes. The best overall powder that I see from the burn chart would be the S-385. it's burn rate is perfect for bullet weights from 140-180. If that powder is avail to you, that is the one that I would recommend.that puts your " target weight" bullets right in the wheel house. You should be able to get good velocity, and low pressure across the board. All else being equal, and the burn rates correct, that should put you on the road to a good , SAFE, and FAST load. Experiment with primers. Good luck, and take care.

Hi,

Thank you very much and not only you, everybody, Dan, Butterbean etc.
S385 is easily available to me from almost all the gunshops here.

Do you think that I should go directly for benchrest primers and get it over and done with, if so, if I am correct, here is what I gathered sofar from my new buddies in the USA (i am previledged)

S385 powder
Sierra Matchking 150gr or 168gr- try both and seewhich performs the best?
Benchrest primers (CCI)
Norma cartridges

If this is all ok with you guys, where would bea safe load to start with?