7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Looks just like the one in my safe!!:D I never did ask, do you have a pet load for your Sako?

Yea, I actually do. I actually have a few that this gun likes. When I got it, it was virtually unfired. After a little very careful break in, I found that it likes the 162 A- Max, and the 140 TSX. That is the only 140 that it seemed to tolerate. It shoots the 162 A Max very well. It likes 79.5 grains RL22-140TSX @ 3.702, and a 215 fed. The 162 load is 75.6 RL22-162 a max @ 3.700' and 25 fed as well. I also have a H1000 formula, with both the same bullets as well, I will get that info to you later. I can't remember the weight. She is a shooter, and really cleans up well, and easy. Trigger is very smooth, no creep. Enjoy.

Just bought myself this nice M70 Classic Sporter

13d06513.jpg

Man, that is a beauty!!! I have suddenly became a Winchester fan more than you can even know. I have been a Remington kinda guy forever, but have gotten my hands on a couple of winny tack drivers of late. Can't wait to shoot this new one that I got yesterday. That is a very nice rifle, and I too like the wood. You know, it seems that I appreciate a nice piece of wood now, more than ever. I guess I am reverting back to the good old days. My new build is going to wear a Bobby Hart laminated target style stock . Nice job!!!!

7 stw,

It's good to see that someone is willing to look at my ideas and give them a try. I'm thinking that you'll be pleased with the 180s in that rifle. It'll be perfect for the extreme long range shooting that calls for a heavy bullet with a high B.C.

I truely believe that the 7 STW is at it's best with heavier bullets. If the rifle can stabilize them.....

let me know hoe it turns out. I'm gonna try to get out tomarrow to give the 3 finalists a second go arround.

Later,

Dan

Dan,

I've got some 180 berger hunting vld's that I'm going to load soon, hope I can shoot them. My gun was reamed for the 168 Berger Hunting VLD, that's a pretty good weight too. How long can your OAL be? I may have to contend with that, but don't know until I try. I don't mind single loading either.

340 shooter, nice looking gun. I like the wood and straight stock, a classic hunting rifle. The barrel looks extra long? What is the length?

Thanks, I used to own a M70 Laredo a few years ago and foolishly sold it. Just could not resist this one. It is a 26" barrel. Good thing I kept all the STW brass :D

Man, that is a beauty!!! I have suddenly became a Winchester fan more than you can even know. I have been a Remington kinda guy forever, but have gotten my hands on a couple of winny tack drivers of late. Can't wait to shoot this new one that I got yesterday. That is a very nice rifle, and I too like the wood. You know, it seems that I appreciate a nice piece of wood now, more than ever. I guess I am reverting back to the good old days. My new build is going to wear a Bobby Hart laminated target style stock . Nice job!!!!

Thanks 7stw. I love the M70's too. I have another in .264 and they are beauties for sure.

Ed,

The C.O.A.L. depends on how you want to seat the bullet, but for my rifle, I'm seating the Bergers so I can eject a loaded cartridge without pulling the bolt.
They are 3.906".

To jam it to the lands it's 3.972" and with most of my rifles that shoot Bergers, I like to keep them 0.10" off the lands so I would perfer to seat them to 3.962", But this is not practical for this rifle. So far I've been lucky that they're fairly accurate at this seating depth.

I've posted this photo before, but it shows the 7 STW with a Berger seated to 3.906" :

Dans guns II 010.jpg

I can't immagine seating this bullet to the magazine that would be quite a jump.

Dan

Ed,

The C.O.A.L. depends on how you want to seat the bullet, but for my rifle, I'm seating the Bergers so I can eject a loaded cartridge without pulling the bolt.
They are 3.906".

To jam it to the lands it's 3.972" and with most of my rifles that shoot Bergers, I like to keep them 0.10" off the lands so I would perfer to seat them to 3.962", But this is not practical for this rifle. So far I've been lucky that they're fairly accurate at this seating depth.

I've posted this photo before, but it shows the 7 STW with a Berger seated to 3.906" :

View attachment 9267

I can't immagine seating this bullet to the magazine that would be quite a jump.

Dan

Yeah, that is the one that looks like a ICBM. As far as the jump goes, sometimes you just have to modify the load to make it work. Can you unload a live round? I am going to try them, but I am going to go max box length, and adjust charge to make it work. Take care Dano!