7mm PRC

Interesting on all the talk on the 7 PRC. Manufactures coming out with a new case alway make it bigger, and better than any other cases in that caliber. Minds better than yours🤣. Generally if you read into the cartridge it's faster and better than anything out there. 😁 That's how they sell rifles. Bottom line there not much different from others in that class, just something new. You can fool most of the people most of the time, but not all the people all the time.
Just got a 7 PRC in Rem 700 in the other day. Took it to the smith to work it over. Muzzel brake, trigger, and bed the action. So it's gone again for awhile.
Being 75 now, I' ve seen lots of rifle come out. New HYP, but not much difference. A lot of the time the new rifle had a 2" longer barrel and was maybe 100fps faster.
The biggest changes over the years is in reloading your cases, and chambering the cartridges, and understanding what's going on. What works in extend ranges, with scopes, and range finders.
So for now the PRC are the rages.
I'll see how it does a little later on. 😊

I agree with all. Mine were over 200 FPS below advertised for both the 175 and 180 factory offerings in a ruger American go wild. I'm hoping the barrel will speed up after a couple hundred rounds but I'm doubtful it will speed up more than 100 FPS. All that being said, I'm still happy with the rifle and cartridge.
Yup mine too.

Interesting on all the talk on the 7 PRC. Manufactures coming out with a new case alway make it bigger, and better than any other cases in that caliber. Minds better than yours🤣. Generally if you read into the cartridge it's faster and better than anything out there. 😁 That's how they sell rifles. Bottom line there not much different from others in that class, just something new. You can fool most of the people most of the time, but not all the people all the time.
Just got a 7 PRC in Rem 700 in the other day. Took it to the smith to work it over. Muzzel brake, trigger, and bed the action. So it's gone again for awhile.
Being 75 now, I' ve seen lots of rifle come out. New HYP, but not much difference. A lot of the time the new rifle had a 2" longer barrel and was maybe 100fps faster.
The biggest changes over the years is in reloading your cases, and chambering the cartridges, and understanding what's going on. What works in extend ranges, with scopes, and range finders.
So for now the PRC are the rages.
I'll see how it does a little later on. 😊
Yep, and some of us found out the hard way, on the other hand, it's not a bad cartridge, just nothing that reloaders can't do with other 7mm's

Y'all need to get 6.8 Western;). I have seen velocities exceeding published figures in my rifle. 165 ablr was 3K and 175 2900. It was warm day though…. I just got the new Hodgdon 2024 manual and they are dropping new powder called Ramshot Grand. Book loads show 3k with both 175 ablr and 180 eldm so looks to be good powder for 7prc/6.8W

Lou

I have had people tell me that 7PRC has less recoil than a 7MM Rem.
Now I was told all my academic life that for every action there was a reaction equal in force and opposite in direction!
So how could that be?

Now I was told all my academic life that for every action there was a reaction equal in force and opposite in direction!
So how could that be?
Marketing helps with the "mind over matter selling point" just like getting the flu shot. Your told, just a little stick, but in reality it feels like it's going all the way to your heart. As soon as I get the honey do's somewhat caught up I will get me one. So I can also say it recoils less than my 25-06!

So how could that be?
They're pooping horsepucks! The PRC is noticeably thumpier, especially in a 7.5# setup.

So how could that be?
Similar bullets, similar powder charge, similar weight rifles...probably going to yield similar recoil.
What's not to like?

Ok. Here is real world data. Not for your nosler partition but for 175 ELDx and 180 ELD match. I bought a ruger American go wild off the shelf and put a few boxes of ammo through it. The 175 ELD x in the precision hunter was shooting 2825 fps and the 180 ELD match was shooting 2775 fps. I am expecting about 100 fps jump in velocity after about 100 rounds or so but that puts those bullets far shy of advertised velocities and right around what I get from my 7 Remington mag. I plan to shoot 195 bergers or something similarly heavy and long. I am not expecting too much additional performance over the 7 Remington mag but I will be able to load long to the lands and still fit my bullets in the magazine and won't be taking up a bunch of powder space.

If you are shooting the 175 partition that means you aren't trying to shoot 600 yards. I wouldn't replace a 7 Remington mag with a 7 PRC if your goal is to shoot the partition. No need and no benefit.

Now if I didn't own a 7mm gun or if I wanted to have one of everything then yes I would buy one.

Of note, in my gun the factory 7mm PRC hornady 180 match shot very well. 2.3" three shot group at 600 yards. The 175 ELD x precision hunter were about 7" three shot group at 600 yards.

I expect with barrel break in and hand loads that will improve. And hopefully I get that velocity bump because 2775 is about disappointing.
My velocity with factory Hornady 175ELDX was similar to yours. Through a new 24" proof CF barrel I'm getting 2839fps, SD 9. I was bummed, as I was hoping for 2900-2950 w/ a speed up after bbl break in. I know the bbl will speed up, but not likely 100+fps.

The proof bbl does stacks the factory ammo @ 100 and I've taken it to 1020 on steel with great results. I have 100 rounds of the factory 175s I'll put down the tube and then recheck velocity. I was hoping to avoid reloading for a 1x a year Elk hunt, but it looks like I'll need to if I want to take full advantage of the cartridge. I'll see what R26 and VV N570 will get me. As my only 7mm (had a 28Nos, but didn't like the recoil), I'm happy with the build, just not the factory ammo velocity. Is what it is. Merry Christmas 🎄

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpeg
    IMG_1596.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 35